The Aaron Rodgers era

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The_Darksider, Dec 19, 2023.

1. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Listening to WFAN, didn't hear the impetus for the conversation that's currently going on, but from what they're saying, it sounds like Aaron Rodgers will be shut down. No big surprise there.

But he must've said something about being here for a couple of more years, Evan Roberts is practically wetting his shorts over "51 games" of Aaron Rodgers.

Clearly the organization is on board with that, so while not yet official, we can stop debating whether or not the Jets will pick up Zach Wilson's fifth year option or even bring him back next year.

We may now move on with our lives knowing that the Zach Wilson experiment is over.

EDIT: it also means we will certainly not be drafting a quarterback in April, and probably almost assuredly means we are not firing the front office.

This should be fun today.

2. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

listening to Arron say " i believe in the people here" and " we just have to make some upgrade", Everyone is coming back and its the right move for next year.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Rodgers was on the punter show already and confirmed he is not coming back in 2023. He said he is NOT medically cleared and still 3-4 weeks away. (we have 3 weeks left).

"I'm still 14 weeks tomorrow from my surgery and being medically cleared as 100% healed is just not realistic."

Which is kind of a funny comment since he made news for weeks insinuating it was realistic but whatever. They will put him on the IR tomorrow most likely I guess

abyzmul likes this.
  4. 24McNeil

24McNeil Well-Known Member

this sh!tshow will continue for years to come. we haven't protected our starting qb for well over a decade, what makes any of us think we'll be able to protect a 40 y/o hipster constantly high on psychedelics.

this is a clown house that needs to crumble, if you go to games, you are the real problem.

Cman68 likes this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he's only got 2 years left on his current deal so.... I mean I guess he could be resigned if he wants a 3rd shot but seems like rodgers is pretty committed on this team and CS so likely won't see any major changes until he retires

SOJAZ and The_Darksider like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Rodgers mentioned something like feeling good about 2 or 3 more years which is probably where all the fodder comes from. That’s why when he restructured something smelled fishy about raving about the pay cut when he can collect a lot of the money in 2025 and 2026.

Let’s say he’s nowhere near what he was next year and it’s clear the Jets want to move on from him. He won’t retire and he can do what Matt Ryan did. Force the team to cut them, stay legally active and still get paid while moving on in life.

7. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

This mostly checks out with what I was thinking. The front office and coaching staff will get their shot with Rodgers. If it all goes to hell, there will be an opportunity for a clean break at the end of the season. GM/Coach/QB will all be gone, Jets will trade off some pieces (G.Wilson/Breece), and they'll once again start over. If it goes well, they'll run it back in 2025.

We all need to hope and pray that Joe Douglas nails this draft and gives Rodgers the LT that he's going to need. The defense doesn't even really need to be addressed, so the lions share of the resources needs to be spent on the OL and WR room. They should also take a late round QB to sit as third string behind Rodgers and ???.

ColoradoContrails and SOJAZ like this.
  8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

you get too distracted by the white noise.... ;)

The_Darksider likes this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

1) rodgers said today he wanted to give the jets 2 years and feels like this year doesn't count. he implied he wants to play for 2 more seasons with us.

2) way off on the contract details at all. he did in fact take a pay cut. went from 50m/yr to 37.5m/yr. whats paid out and what he counts on the cap are 2 different things. the contract is guaranteed for the 1st 2 years at 75m and basically has a 3rd year team option for another 37.5m in 2025. cash wise Rodgers gets paid (and mind you i'm rounding to make it easier) 2023 37mil (35m roster bonus, 2 m salary), 2024 38m (35m option bonus, 3m salary) thats the guaranteed part. then a team option that pays him 37.5 in 2025 if we want. thats all his money right there. he doesn't get paid a cent after 2025 from the jets without a new contract and could get 0 from the jets after 2024 if we cut him or he retires.

Cap wise however we had to be creative due to lack of cap room so it's a 6 year deal with the final 3 years voiding automatically. that help spreads the cap out. year 1 his cap hit is only 9m. 2m in salary and 35m in his 1st bonus over 5 years (7M a year for 5 years). in 2024 his cap hit is 17m. 3m salary 7m from the 2023 bonus prorated, and 7m from the 2024 bonus prorated(35M option bonus over 5 years). so if he was to say retire after 2024 or be released it means we paid him the fully guaranteed 75m for 2 years but only counted 26 of it which is where the other 49M comes from. it's not new money to him. we would have 49M in dead cap and save 2M in cap room if he retires or is released after 2024.

his contract is 100% objectively a very team friendly deal that benefits the team way more then him. nothing fishy at all. in 2022 he signed a new deal with the packers that was 3 years 150m fully guaranteed that paid him out 42m in year 1. meaning he was still owed for 2023 and 2024 a total of 108M over 2 years fully guaranteed. he cut that 108M down to 75M for the same 2 years (33M less he took in actuality over a 2 year period) and gave a 3rd year option to the team not guaranteed. then structured it in a way that works for the team (many players do this so no big deal on that part)

10. The_Darksider

I am not so sure. I was completely ok with running them back for ONE year and then killing the entire staff at the end of 2024. This makes it sound like they're going to commit to Douglas, Saleh, etal for at least 2 more years. That's a tough pill to swallow for me.

11. The_Darksider

It was always bullshit. Always.

Ralebird and BrowningNagle like this.
  12. The_Darksider

Well you have assume (I know about assume) that they'll take measures to protect him next year. How can they not? But it's pretty disturbing to me that they are prepared to run this out there as is for another 2 and possibly 3 years barring further injury or some other SOJ thing that occurs (not even Clive Barker could invent whatever it is).

13. The_Darksider

That may end up happening, but it seems like they are perfectly content right now to let this run its course for 2-3 years.

And as far as a QB, never hurts to grab a mid-late round guy and let him sit. I think that's for next year though - this year (2024), they have to commit to their plan and build for the Rodgers Era.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

I don’t really think it’s way off since Spotrac and OTC have conflicting information. OTC shows the cap hit as $63 million with a dead cap pre June-1 of $35 million unless that’s a savings for 2025.

Spotrac has it written differently that shows it all null and void. It also looks like it spreads out a prorated bonus.

The ESPN article seems to break it down a little bit better; https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38075863/aaron-rodgers-agrees-reworked-contract-jets

My question is what happens if the Jets want to move on from him in 2025 and he doesn’t want to retire? Maybe it is what it is but it doesn’t seem logical that their liability to him is $0. Maybe I’m wrong.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

BTW here you go Mr. Way off on the contract details.

So unless Florio was way wrong and never issued a correction, we have a pretty grim situation with him in 2025 and 2026 unless he retires willfully and doesn’t fight the Jets for any of the money.

16. GasedAndConfused

there are 2 parts and i'll explain it above to your other post in more detail but

1) the 1st part of florio is correct and i explained that already. dead cap =/= cash owed. the dead cap is for cash paid out not accounted for plus cash owed. we owe rodgers 0 after 2024 cash wise. we still owe the cap 49M paid at that point that hasn't been accounted for yet.
    2) the 2nd part is speculating a "buddy buddy deal". the option bonus is already guaranteed as part of the 2 year 75m guarantee. we are physically paying him cash wise 75m over 2 years. we are just doing it with 35m bonus in 2023 (already paid) and 35M bonus in 2024 with low salaries. what florio is saying (I think you read it wrong) is that since rodgers took a massive 33M pay cut, that the jets could repay him with an additional option bonus in 2025 which would be unprecedented. You are reading it (I think based on your reply) that the jets owe him that 33m. thats not what he is saying

17. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Completely fair and articulate summary. I was on the ARod train. ARod healthy coming into this season for 2 years, absolutely. Being completely stuck to him for 2 years post Achilles rupture at 41+ years old….. plus we’re the Jets….. we all know how this is gonna go. It is completely fascinating how every single level of our organization has submitted themselves to ARod and completely stalemated each other into job security. Any organization change at all sets off a pile of dominos that always leads to losing ARod, and there’s no way Woody’s gonna eat 90m for nothing. Incompetence has embedded us like a tick for 2 more years.

18. GasedAndConfused

that ESPN article is lacking information. it was put out too early. they were correct on the paycut and said details would be later today but then speculated the details wrong. they assumed he'd have a large salary in 2024 because it was a "two year" deal but that's incorrect because we added void years and made his 2024 salary a bonus instead (a large chunk of it) it actually wound up being a 6 year deal with 3 void years. this is why reporters really annoy me. they have minimum words for articles so they take what was a good scoop in the tune of rodgers taking a big pay cut that was correct, and then added a bunch of speculation that turned out really wrong and then people will point to it and go its ESPN and a respected reporter so he's right while he's not. if ESPN cared more about real reporting they would have updated the article and made sure to point out which parts were speculation but they didn't.

as far as the difference in OTC and spotrac there is only 1. OTC lists 35M as an option bonus in 2025 and Spotrac lists it as salary in 2025. but they both agree it's optional and not guaranteed. I'm not sure which one it is, but it's irrelevant either way in the discussion as they would both act the same payment wise, it's just a matter how we would want to use the cap at the time if the jets and rodgers agree to run it back in 2025.

so the simple answer to your last question "if the jets want to part ways with rodgers after the 2024 season" is we would owe him 0 cash, but would have 49M dead cap space from it.
    if you want the reasoning or math behind it I have no issues explaining that as well in detail so just ask.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Obviously since its not cash coming from our own pockets, the dead cap hit is the big/only concern

20. GasedAndConfused

the bucs did it with brady and won a SB, the rams did it with stafford and won a SB. the logic behind it is proven to work