Texas:19 children and two teacher are dead after a shooting

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by NYGalPal, May 24, 2022.

1. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I disagree that none of it is unique to America. But I do agree that our access to guns for these people is unique.

2. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

The only thing that I would say is not anywhere else in the world, outside of guns being extremely easy to acquire in some states, is the desire to label everything an "itus" and medicating. Everyone has something, kids included, so they throw pills at it.

That is an American thing. It doesn't have to do with violent media, but if they are drugged up as a solution to their problems maybe I can't really relate. I think the last game to be banned from a country due to violence was like the early 2000s.. name of it is on the tip of my tongue but I can't remember. You know what games are banned for now? Loot boxes.

Every country has some group of kids playing games half the day. They are probably on twitch.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

As long as politicians can use these tragedies to boost their profile (and raise money)...
    ... then maybe there's a silver lining after all.

bicketybam likes this.
  4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Again ..that's right

But it's no secret the two big issues will be the economy and gun control...I am against illegal immigration at the border but I can forego a candidates stance on that if they want red flag laws and background checks that will save lives

So the real question for you and anyone else who wants Gun control is having the stones to vote with your conscience and not with the Trump cultists

That's called being an independent thinker

FTMR to all the posters here who are now big mental health advocates please give me the odds that a Republican elected vs a Democrat will seriously decide to increase the Mental Health budget since we sorely lack the resources for helping communities with emotional and psych issues???

I am a former Repub but allow myself to think outa the box smh

#624 NYJetsO12, Jun 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
    mute likes this.
  5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Matthew McConaughey's speech at the White House press briefing was pretty powerful.

And sensible...

NYJetsO12, papapump and Poeman like this.
  6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Agreed

Here it is in full

A clip:

#626 Poeman, Jun 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
    typeOnegative13NY and Acad23 like this.
  7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

In my opinion the one feature a rifle or handgun that determines how lethal it can be in a mass shooting situation is magazine capacity. The larger the magazine the more bullets the perpetrator can shoot without switching magazines. Many states limit it to 10 rounds.

I used to own a MAK-90. It was basically a semi-automatic AK-47 (no option for full auto.) I had about twenty 30 round magazines for it and I used to take it to a range out in LI to blast away at targets. Then Sandy Hook happened and NY placed a ban on it and and magazine larger than 10 rounds. I'm pretty sure they gave you the option of registering it but I decided that I just didn't want the hassle. I sold it back to the place I bought it from and disposed of the magazines. It wasn't a very hard decision for me. I was looking at 21 felony charges if I kept it and didn't register it. I play by the rules.

Most pro gun advocates would disagree with me when I state that you don't need more that a magazine with 10 rounds. If you are in a self defense situation where you need more than 10 rounds, you are in a world of shit.

I would not be opposed to a ban on high capacity magazines. That said, the shooter in TX could have had 20 ten round magazines and still have done what he did. But a ban on these magazines would be a positive change.

KingRoach likes this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Yeah... mag capacity is one area where compromise can be found... along with raising the age of purchase of certain weapons.

Problem is that criminals & the mentally unstable don't follow the law... and it's way too easy to skirt regulation.

Wanna make a big dent in gun deaths? Put & keep violent criminals behind bars.
    There's far too much leniency in the "new" justice system.

typeOnegative13NY and FJF like this.
  10. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

1534992860440936471 is not a valid tweet id

11. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Good luck with that one. When NJ lowered their magazine capacity from 15 to 10, making all 15-round magazines illegal, there were huge lines of people handing their illegal magazines in... NOT.

If there's a magazine restriction law tomorrow, I guarantee a rush to buy all "high capacity" magazines with the purpose of selling them later on the black market.

I remember speaking with a gun shop owner in PA a few years ago. He told me that NYers we're buying most of his 30-round PMAGs ($12-15 each). Then they would sell them in NY (10 round limit) for $100+.

#631 Petrozza, Jun 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  12. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Seems to be a weekly occurrence these days. WTF is going on?

13. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I expect it to rise with the rising of prices, impending recession etc.

FJF likes this.
  14. bicketybam

I agree that it will be very difficult to enforce and someone who is hell bent on killing a lot of people will do what they need to do to get what they need to accomplish the mission. I mean it's illegal to own a handgun if you are a felon. You think that stops felons from getting them? Fuck no. Just like the guy in Buffalo. Having those high capacity magazines was illegal. I don't think he gave a fuck.

I still think there isn't much of a reason for a 30 round mags other than laziness at the range or maybe in a wartime situation. Oh and a zombie apocalypse. You definitely want all the high capacity mags you can get when that hits.

15. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

Bingo, I warned of this in the other topic. As this financial crisis gets started, we will see a rise of crime take place. When people have no job, no money, and no hope they will resort to doing crazy things to either exit society or just survive.

Im not saying that these mass shootings are a direct result of the financial carnage but crime will be. All the people who cheered on lockdowns and inflating the dollar supply are now going to see the true costs of their reckless decisions.

typeOnegative13NY likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It’s mental health’s fault
    It’s the school systems fault
    It’s the school security
    Now it’s the economy’s fault

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

You left out 1st shooter video games and Hollywood's glorification of gun violence...

18. bicketybam

It's the gun's fault. When are you turning yours in? You don't need to hunt. Go to a grocery store.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

good point, we will blame anything to excuse the murderers

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Too many guns and not enough health care. This really isn't that complicated.