Texans Open To Trading #1

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by boozer32, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's never anybody worth trading up for like that. This year there isn't even anybody you could fool yourself into trading up for. Would have taken a great year by Clowney to put him in that category and instead he had a slump year.

2. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

If Luck was there then yes but he aint so no

3. Br4d

Even if Luck was there it wouldn't be worth it. He'd have to be better than any QB in history to make it worth it.

Peyton Manning is the most valuable QB ever drafted #1 at this point and he has 1 ring to show for it. If the Colts had traded the store for him coming in the door they'd have been bad for much longer than they were and who knows if they'd ever have become the dominant team they became, albeit unable to get to Super Bowls.

Edgerrin James was one guy they'd never have seen if they traded up for Peyton.

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

There are 3-4 really good QBs coming out so the Texans could trade down to #3 or #4 and still get a good QB plus use the extra pic(s) to shore up their piss poor defense.

But I don't see them trading down below #4.

5. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

In order to build a team that'll have success for the long run you need to draft well and build a team that has depth.
    Keep the picks and start building a team that can be consistently competitive.

6. Br4d

There's nobody worth trading up for. Everybody who is sitting on the 2 to 4 already knows they are getting a great prospect or a QB anyway.

The Redskins and Falcons were both disasters this year. They're the latest teams to make a big trade up in the 1st round and they went like 7-25 between them and the problem in both cases was the guy they traded up for was either injured or limited by injuries.

Teams will keep trading up, because like making big free agent splurges it is just irresistible to suddenly add talent out of nowhere, but the teams that will dominate the NFL will be the ones that are good at systematic roster construction. Good scouting, good drafting, good cap management. That's how you get ahead and stay ahead in the NFL.

7. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Not really a Jets discussion. No way the Texans are going to move down that far.

Someone in the top 5 or 6 at worse.

8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I think the texans would love to be able to trade down and get Manziel and another couple of picks rather than just Bridgewater.

9. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

They need to be careful though. I'd bet the farm that if the Browns hire McDaniel they go hard after Manziel.

10. CreedBratton

CreedBratton New Member

This isnt a Jets discussion. Even if the Texans trade the pick theyre not trading down all the way to 18. An no we shouldn't even consider it

11. Br4d

You're probably right on this. Teddy Bridgewater is a Matt Ryan quality prospect. Anybody taking him on the 1 has to be thinking there must be a better way to get value out of the pick.

12. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Burn it ,step on it and throw it off a bridge

13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Trading "numbers" in the upcoming draft reduces your margin for the inevitable picks that don't pan out. With the Jets potentially having 11-12 picks, the odds are better hitting on 6 out of 11-12 picks vs. 6 out of 8-9 (to state the obvious). And those higher ranked players will be better than the lower rated players you had to "settle for" because you had fewer bodies of talent from which to choose from.

Assuming Tampa Bay doesn't "cut" Revis then resign him days later to avoid giving the Jets the compensatory 5th pick of the 3rd round pick vs. the 4th round, the Jets then would have 3 picks in the top 68 slots and 4 picks in the top 80. Nice, save them.

Roster holes to fill, give the new GM the best opportunity to show his stuff. "Numbers" with the potential for lots of new faces with talent makes more sense than grabbing "1 spot" in the draft and untimately 'forfeiting' something in the long run no matter how you look at it. Even if the homes runs are few, the overall roster is better with the greater depth gained.

14. laxin

laxin Active Member

Lol, an extra 3rd means nothing when you are talking about moving from 18 to 1. We'd have to trade our 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, and probably our next two 1sts as well.

15. tcw722

tcw722 Member

I don't think anyone available at #1 is worth giving up a ton of draft picks for. Especially considering how many holes this team has.

16. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Ill be honest with ya, I thought Bridgewater was going to be the first QB picked but Manziel is gaining a ton of momentum. A LOT of people now are saying Manziel is the best QB in this draft. I honestly dont know who is going to be better in the NFL but Manziel has caught up in terms of media hype and expectations for the draft.

They could trade down but I think if they want a certain QB they will draft him and not risk it. If they want Manziel they will draft Manziel.

17. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

We don't need a TE Cumberland is great. I'd draft another QB and WR.

18. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Cumerland is not "great" let's not get crazy here.

He's a solid TE but we could use an upgrade at TE for sure.

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

No, no, no but hell no. If our target picks are gone in the 1st round draft, I would trade down but no way would I trade up. We just have way too many holes.

20. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Trading all the way up for a number one spot, is foolish. Especially because we have so many needs.