TEs on the Trading Block?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFanInPA, Oct 18, 2015.

1. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Reports are coming out that Vernon Davis and Jared Cook could be on the trade block and teams are inquiring. Martellus Bennett's name was mentioned a few weeks ago too. This is obviously a big weak spot on offense and adding another threat defenses have to account for could be huge.

What, if anything, would you give up for one of these guys?

http://m.nbcsports.com/rotoworld-main-headlines/player/rotoworld_player_nfl

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Jared Cook: nothing. $8+mil cap hits for the next 3 years for $2+mil production at best, it's no wonder they want to dump him.

Vernon Davis: 7th that can turn into a 5th if the Jets re-sign him before the end of the league year.

Bennett: I hate him.

74 likes this.
  3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Would be sweet to land Vernon Davis. The guy is a complete TE. I just wonder if Gailey would use him.

4. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Bennett has to most value. But the Bears might think twice about ditching him if they win today and get to .500

Davis is an interesting name. His presence could be a nice addition and wouldn't cost much either.

5. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

Vernon Davis is washed up..no need to spend the $ to make the trade lets use it to resign our own guys.

Bennett is the only TE mentioned worth a damn and who'd instantly help our offense but who knows how Gailey would use him and our Offense is probably all set for the year..Let the big guys block not every team needs a playmaker at the position.

FJF likes this.
  6. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Not happening. Cumberland is back, Kellen Davis is servicable as a backup. Chan doesn't seem to be too interested in having a TE heavily involved on offense. I think he's perfectly fine with Cumberland and Davis. I'm not but whatever.

7. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Wouldn't mind snatching up Bennett. Just doesn't seem like TE's are relevant in Gailey's system. I guess it could be that our TE's are all irrelevant.

Bellows1 likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how old Davis is or how much longer he plans on playing, or what his contract value and status are. Depending upon the answer to those questions, I'd be willing to give up as high as a 4th, if he planned on playing for at least another 2-3 years and his contract was reasonable. The same would apply for Bennett, but would probably only be willing to go as high as a 5th for him, and maybe only a 6th. I know the name Jared Cook, but am not familiar with him. I'd have to do some research.

9. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

Martellus is way more valuable than Davis. Bennett is a top 5 TE, Davis isn't even top 20. It'd be the worst trade of all time to give up a 4th for him. Jared Cook is a dime a dozen TE that should be available in FA but if the FO is urgent to get a TE now a 6th would be reasonable.

10. Toronto's Biggest

Toronto's Biggest Active Member

Would rather see them use the assets to trade for a RB. We are so screwed if Ivory misses any time this season

11. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

The Jets aren't going to give up much trade wise for a Tight End. I doubt they are even interested in the ones available. the tight end position is not something that is valued in Gaileys offense.

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting to see what 6'-7" 280 pound Quinton Coples could do on the O-Line as our 6th lineman/blocking TE. I bet it's a LOT more than he does on the D-Line.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We don't have any cap space to maneuver with any of these guys. Bennett is the most complete player and he's due $6+ million the next couple years. I'd stand pat, you don't need a good tight end to have a successful offense, and I'd much rather consider keeping our good young defenders than invest a ton in the 3rd receiving target in this offense.

Br4d likes this.
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

TE's have two roles in Chan Gailey's offense: block and create targets for late throws to prevent intentional grounding calls.

He just doesn't use them until the defense totally forgets about them and then every couple of games he gives one of them a big 3rd down reception. There's no point in using up cap space when what you need is a good blocker who won't drop the ball on his one opportunity a game.

15. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

You mean to tell me if say Gronk became a Jet tomorrow, Gailey wouldn't find a way to use him?

I mean, the TE position may not be important in Gailey's offense, but that's cause he's never had a good TE apparently.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Would love a decent TE to help Fitzy, a great asset for a middle game

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Not even top 20? Yeah, right. If that's accurate, then it's an indictment on the rating system, not Davis.

18. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I don't want Bennett. My Bears fan friends hate him. They say he sucks at blocking and is always dropping critical passes.

19. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Jared Cook is an awful pass catcher btw. He has hands of butter and sucks at route running.

Vernon could be washed up or more likely Kaepernick is terrible and killed his career.

20. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Stand pat, we have the WRs to make plays and Amaro will be back next season lets see what he can do.