Terrell Pryor : Supplemental Draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockefella, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Should the Jets use a first rounder on him?

2. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Was Brooks Bollinger a good quarterback?

Are the Cardinals a great franchise?

3. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

"Tim Graham of ESPN has an idea. It involves a team taking Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor if he enters the Supplemental Draft in the wake of head coach Jim Tressel’s firing and his own six game suspension with the idea of turning him into another Brad Smith.

As a couple readers mentioned, maybe Pryor could evolve into the type of player Brad Smith was for the New York Jets, a versatile player who can take snaps out of a pistol formation, return kicks or line up at receiver.

I only mention this because some might draw a conclusion the team that might be losing Smith would have interest in picking up a guy with a similar college resume.

I can pretty safely say the Jets should not be that team. The only way it makes sense is if you subscribe to a theory that since the team might lose an athletic wide receiver who played quarterback in college, it should find another athletic quarterback to replace him.

Gang Green took Jeremy Kerley in the Draft. It is worth giving him a chance to fill that role. Unlike Pryor, he has experience as a return man and splitting wide, which is a leg up. As good as Smith was, he offered next to nothing as a receiver. Unlike Pryor, Kerley is not starting from square one. He knows the position. Having a guy play Smith’s role who can keep a defense honest as a pass catcher puts extra strain on the defense. Kerley also has experience as a Wildcat quarterback.

There is no guarantee Pryor would even be as good as Smith. As Graham notes, Pat White had similar attributes but was very ineffective in a Wildcat role for the Dolphins in 2009.

Read more: http://www.afcbeast.com/2011/06/04/...-supplemental-draft-make-sense/#ixzz1PMdAVJHS "

4. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

Sure but only with a 7th rounder. I'm all for taking a flyer on an athlete but teams will overpay for this guy and I don't think we should at this point.

5. Coach K

Coach K New Member

u need to diss yourself in the freestyle thread

1st rd?

no fucking way.

i think Pryor is best suited as a qb but he was completely mishandled at OSU and never forced to develop as a thrower.

someone will take a flyer on him. I dont see him doing much unless going to a great coaching situation though.

6. Talisman

Talisman Active Member

me thinks you missed a subtle drew rosenhaus joke

7. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Should the Panthers use next years first rounder on him?

They could run an offense like this:

[​IMG]

The red lines are the running lanes, grey dotted lines represent that the snap could be directed to Newton or Pryor. KEEP DEM ON DEY TOES KNO WUT IM SAyIN

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I would certainly use a mid rd pick or later on him and try to make him another Brad Smith.

9. MadBacker Prime

That's what Kerley is meant for though. I many do we need, and this is all speculating that Brad is gone. Which is likely, but you never know.

10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I'd be pretty surprised if Brad comes back. I think Kerley is more of a "real" WR, I don't think he can be the WC threat Brad was and Schottenheimer was in love w/ the WC. You cannot have enough talented football players on your roster. If he falls far enough I would certainly take a chance.

11. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

The trickiest stuff we'd probably see out of Kerley is a reverse I think. I can't see him taking direct snaps and running the ball.. he's just too small for that.

12. MadBacker Prime

Brad Smith has about 3 inches and about 20 pounds on him.

We saw how small can work for runners though in guys like Rice, Sproles, and Woodhead.

I hope to god we get rid of that crap altogether though.

13. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

You don't have enough offensive linemen, there needs to be at least 9 men on the line and 13 on the field.

14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Two words: FUCK HIM.

15. bojanglesman

Instead of this, they should use a first round pick on a first rounder.

16. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

The Panthers used a first round pick to get a third rounder. Why not do it twice?

17. bojanglesman

We should draft him twice so we can use a first and a second.

18. 624

624 Banned

Reminds me of this thread: http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=56192

Damn mods, re-open that!

19. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I want the JCotchrocket baby cancer thread to be reopened. I don't have a problem with JCotchrocket, but when you make a thread like that it should stay and you should have to fight through that rather than getting a pass.

20. BonScott

BonScott Active Member