Ten Things I Saw Last Night

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetcane, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

I'll stick with the format I used in yesterday's thread. feel free to agree or disagree, add your own insights, etc.

1- Favre. He'll only play a couple of series, but will be making his debut in a real live Jets uni. He'll find cotchery for at least one long pass that will make us jump up out of our seats. NFLN is carrying the game nationally; it should be fun.

Favre looked great, especially considering he was only doing yardwork ten days ago; he is obviously a MAJOR, MAJOR pickup by the Jets. He is not only the face of the Jets for the fans, but he is a leader on the team.

2- The other QBs- tonite is a big night for Clemens, insofar as preseason challenges go. He'll get plenty of PT, and needs to get it in gear if he wants to hold on to the #2 spot, build up his confidence, and the confidence of the CS in him. Ratty has made much progress this summer, and you know he wants to continue that. He didnt have a great week in practice this week, but can reverse that with a good showing tonite.

Ratty looked terrific. i understand it was against the subs, and i saw that he does tend to stare down receivers, but all things considered, he did great out there. Great job leading the team downfield at the end of the game. If some TC fodder guy doesnt drop the ball in the EZ, we are all in a better mood today.

Clemens was victimized by several drops. I know that. The question is, has he already hit his ceiling, or is he ever going to break through to the next level?

3- The run D. On the first team, the middle looks solid, but can the guys on the edge shut it down, and execute the simple, vanilla schemes. Pace, Gohlston, Bowens are still learning the system. Do the simple things well before you move on to the more complex stuff. On the second/third units, who will step up with a good performance at NT and DE?

Run D continues to be a significant concern. The DC has not done a good job preparing the team to defend the run. Pace, Barton and Bowens looked good. Kareem Brown made a good impression in his time out there. (he's one of my boys from The U, so I dont pretend to be objective about him- I want him to make the team). Gohlston is still on the learning curve. He got a lot of important PT last night trying to implement his lessons, especially in pass coverage. It's too early to judge, gotta give him time. Did he look great? No, but once again, it's too early to judge. However, I'd feel better if I thought he had either a player mentoring him or a DC teaching him better. Maybe Cox needs to take take him under his wing and teach him the ropes.

4- The secondary- the battle for the starting #2 CB continues. Barrett and Miller will see some PT, Poteat and Barrett both played some nickel in practice this week, Eric Smith needs PT to get in better synch with Rhodes, Elam needs to do a better job of playing under control. Can Lowery continue his strong showing?

Lowery was very good, and should definitely move up the depth chart. Iggy blew the game when he failed to tackle the guy on the game winning TD.

5- The RBs. TJ and Leon will get some work in, then turn it over to the subs. Who will get the work in, and is the backfield deep enough behind the starters?

The running game was not emphasized last night-there were 37 pass plays, and only 17-20 running plays- 11 by Chatman, 4 by Leon, 2 by Jones and a couple of others by a scrubs, plus the end around to Brad Smith. I dont think that is enough of a body of work to really make an overall judgement on- TJ having only 2 carries is not enough work to judge him on. But clearly, there was nothing impressive about it, either. More on Chatman below. Incomplete.

6- Things to avoid: penalties, turnovers and injuries. Let's get through this PS game healthy.

Only a handful of penalties, no turnovers, and one injury to Clowney- gotta wait to see what the prognosis is, I hope he is okay, as he continues to look great out there.

7- The unsung players: who will suddenly appear on our radar with a big effort tonite?

I was tempted to list Chatman when I made this thread yesterday, but decided not to name anyone, and let the board make suggestions. But he had a really good week of practice and runs hard. Carroll had another nice KR. Garner did okay at OL, Cummings and K.Brown on DL, Spencer at LB, Murrell at LB, among others.

8- The OL: the first unit was worked hard this week, and i am expecting a good effort out of them tonite. On the second/third units, who will shine? A few guys to watch: #63 DeVan, #75 Turner, #71 Garner, #72 Bender, #68 Montgomery, #78 hunter.

The pass protection was very good overall. The second team OL didnt look good as a unit, but individually there were some decent efforts, and a few guys who would fare better stepping in with the first team if they had to.
    There were some problems opening up holes to run through. The fact that they were able to do it better in practice against the Jets DL doesnt speak too well of the Jets' run defense. On fourth down and one in the first quarter, TJ easily got the first down, and that was running right. Not bad.

9- The WRs and TEs: keller came on some this week and could be in the gameplan. Clemens to Stuckey/Wright/Clowney got plenty of reps this week and should also figure prominently in the gameplan.

Keller had a big night and got the TD ball from Favre, inscribed and autographed. Nice deal for Dustin. There were TOO MANY DROPS, and this is definitely a concern- just as alarming as Nugent missing a chippy at the end of the game. but that's part of what the PS is for- expose some weaknesses and then get back to work next week on improving them.

10- Special Teams- traditionally a strong part of the Jets under Coach Westhoff, undergoing a transition with new ST coach O'Dea. I'd like to see them have a strong outing, as STs can show off in preseason and dont need a few weeks of regular season work to "jell".

Graham punted well, Carroll had a nice return, the coverage on kicks was decent, Wright is a terrific gunner, but the placekicking game...ummm...yeah, right, needs work.

If I think of other stuff, I'll add on. Right now, i'm going to get another cup of coffee.

#1 Jetcane, Aug 17, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  2. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

As ever, very nice report JC. I didn't get to see the game, but thats pretty much told me everything I need to know, thanks.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

-The 1st team run D looked alot better than the backups so I fel ok about it. I keep seeing njenkins make plays in his limited action.

-Lowery definitely continues to impress as Miller continues to disappoint. Miller cannot be our other starter at this point.

-The ground game looked a little better. I actually saw some holes for Leonn & Jones.

-I hope Clowney is ok, he looked good again besides the 1 drop.

-I liked what I saw out of cummings. Considering Chatham hasn't done a thing in 2 years w/ us I hope Cummings has a legit shot to replace him. Marques Murrell also showed some flashes as well. He has had a good camp and it translated to the field last night(not just on his sack). Marcus Henry also had a few nice catches and displyed excellent hands.

-The Ol has looked great in pass protection through 2 games- I'm talking about the starting unit.

-Graham looked as good as I have seen him ook but I think we have to start looking for a new PK. This is year 4 and Nugent is still inconsistent. Every time he lines up I don't feel like he's going to make it and when you feel that way about a 20 yd kick then the guy misses it I think it's time to explore other options.

-Ratliff again looked very good. I had read all offseason how the coaches were impressed and felt like they might have something, I saw some of that ability last week and I saw an even better version this week even though his #s weren't as good. This week he saw and avoided some pressure and threw the ball into tighter spots. It's still early and still preseason but I see alot of potential in this guy.

-Clemens wasn't as bad as his #s w/ all the drops but he still looks clumsy out there. As smooth as Ratliff looks Clemens looks the opposite.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

JC, you're right about the running game. Its still as weak as ever. Not sure if that facet of the game is in Sutton's domain though. Looks like he's just not getting his system accross to the front 7.

5. Maryland Jet

Maryland Jet New Member

Sorry but I have to answer 50 threads before I can start a new one but how great was Alan Faneca completely leveling Jason Taylor on Brett's TD pass. It's on you tube but I cannot even put a link up.

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Saw that. Taylor got his ass smoked!!! :beer:

7. NewestJetFan

NewestJetFan New Member

Jetcane: Are you one of those "glass is always half empty guys"? Following Favre all these years the only thing he wanted was to be out there on the field, believe that.

8. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

I agree with your post- the only thing I'd add is that while Jenkins does a great job stuffing the middle, the major concern about the run D is on the edges.

9. NewestJetFan

NewestJetFan New Member

Jetcane: Forget my post. I made a mistake and thought I was commenting to the guy who said Favre looks unhappy on the sidelines, his thread at the time was one below yours and I goofed.

10. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

OK

It didnt seem to apply to what I wrote, so I didnt reply to it.

Newbie! :smile:

11. NewestJetFan

NewestJetFan New Member

Newbie, I like that. One thing I like is Henry, what a big target, could really be good in the red zone and be an effective decoy ala Moss, kind of hope he sticks. I can't tolerate a kicker like that. Hope he got that out of his system.

12. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVkOTAgj0qk[/YOUTUBE]

lol, better view in this one... Fans eye view

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj5HuOpTvkU[/YOUTUBE]

13. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Run game is still weak...because Jets' right side of OL has weak players. Woody should be the starting RG (not RT) & Jets' need a real RT. THey shoulda drafted one!!! Brandon Moore never will be more than he is. Is there a better option at RT on the team...I don't know at this time...but they need help there.

#94...OLB Marques Murrell has been one of the brightest lites I see shining in the games. This guy can rush the passer & has very good speed. I see this guy can soon be a starter & one of Jets' better playmakers.

#95....DE Johnson....Appears to have good size & a goodmotor & would look better lining up next to Jenkins on 1st downs.

We all see Clowney looks good.

#5.....We have found a QB Jets fans. This guy is exciting & can move the team.

#75...OL Robert Turner has looked like a NFL caliber player finally. I see Jets have him playing center on 2nd unit. That will increase his value on OL. Jets' need 1 or 2 more OL back-ups to step up to bring strength to OL group.

#54...ILB Cummings has looked interesting. he has been making a few plays.

#61....DE Mattison...I personally like him at ILB, not as DE. He would a thumping presence to Jets' middle.

#79...DE Ropati Pitoitua....I'm rooting for this guy to make team. He is 6'8" 290 lbs....He has great size & hopefully at least makes the practice squad.

#34....Lowery....Will eventually be the starter at other CB. Jets' have good fortune with there 4th round picks.

#22....Chatman...I said to myself in off-season, why did Jets sign him. Well I see why, he's the best speed/power RB on the team. He's definitely the backup to T. Jones...in my eyes. Leon is what he is....give him his 8 -10 touches a game. Anyway...Jets have good depth here entering season....They still need a feature/star/breakaway/take it 2 the house from anywhere on the field/ RB.....next year though.

Bottom line...Jets at this point are a much improved & more talented team than last season. Last season...I made a post about "where is the new standout talent"...there was like none I noticed in pre-season...thats turned out to be so true, proved by the jets season & record...4 - 12 .

14. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Run game is still weak, but pass protection has seemed to improve.!!!:jets:

15. JetsLag2

JetsLag2 New Member

lol, better view in this one... Fans eye view

Wow I didn't get to catch the game, but that's just great, Faneca is tenacious

16. SmokeFather

SmokeFather New Member

The one thing that was most difficult to adjust to was...

Brett Favre in a game that wasn't sold out. Where were all of the fans? 1/2 to 2/3 of that stadium was empty. I was spoiled as a Packer fan. They play against themselves in July and 70,000 people show up.

We need to get more people out there.

GO JETS!

17. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

People have many more options in NJ and NY than bothering with exhibition football games.
    When the regular season arrives, so too will the fans.

18. allan1

allan1 Active Member

where are all the fans? That was 70,000 for a pre season game. Lambeau itself sat only 60,000 for the longest time. The Packers were an NFL afterthought before Favre/Holmgren showed up.

19. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I was keeping an eye on Jenkins.......... he occupies 2 blockers every single time. I think the major problem with the run game was the gaps that he created were not filled. When the real games begin I fully expect Harris and Barton to occupy them. But right now the weakness in the run game was the RB's slipping into the gaps. 2 runs were the result of over-pursuit not filling the gaps on Gholstons part. We shall see with if is going to be fixed. IMO it can be fixed easily. If it is, the run D will become very good.

Jenkins is a freaking load and will quickly become one of the better, if not the best NT's, in football rather quick.

20. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

Brett looked real good at QB. I can't wait till nexst week and see how much he gets to play.

Rat looked good, I hope to see him in the regular season in a couple years.

The run D is really scary, the burg&gold did not even play Portis.

In general, it is great to be excited about the coming season.