Team needs and options for picks 3-8

Discussion in 'Draft' started by ouchy, Mar 13, 2021.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

This post is looking at the top 8 in the draft and examining what they might do, the options they have to consider, and who could be a realistic trade partner for us. Really its only looking at positions 3-8 since the Jags are obvious and we all know our options.

3. Miami Dolphins
    The dolphins options are very similar to ours. They have several promising paths but can only choose one. Unlike us they are at the end of their rebuild so their decision is extremely important to becoming a playoff team. Here are their paths:
    1. Draft a true #1 WR (Chase, Smith)
    2. Finish securing their o-line (Sewell)
    Either of these paths would drastically improve their offense and make them a playoff team.
    3. Trade down. Their FO has shown they love to trade down and they do it every draft. They will be holding the keys to whichever QB doesn't go at 2 (Fields/Wilson) so they will be tempted. Personally I think this is what they will do. Trade down and still stay top 12.

4. Atlanta Falcons

Atlanta is the biggest question mark in the top 8. Nobody knows what they want. They have talked about moving on from Matt Ryan and Julio Jones, but nothing has transpired. DO they want a QB to eventually replace Ryan? Do they want a WR to replace Julio? They need help on the DL - do they want to go that route? Do they want to trade down? Nobody knows! At this moment I cant even begin to guess what the Falcons are doing.

One thing is very likely. They will not be interested in trading up unless they really fall in love with a QB. They have no pressing need to trade. Good things will fall to them. They have shown little serious interest in a QB so far.

5. Cincinnati Bengals
    The Bengals are easy. They want help for Burrow. This means they are taking either Sewell or Smith, Chase, Waddle. They almost certainly wont trade up because they never trade up and hate it. There are other good tackles this draft and I dont see them giving up high capital for Sewell with so many other good players falling to them. They will stay put and take Sewell if he falls to them or BPA at WR.

6. Philadelphia Eagles
    The eagles are easy. They have been trying to get a true #1 wideout for years. They will for sure take BPA at wideout. Maybe they will fall in love with a QB and trade up - but I wouldn't count on it. I wish they would but they are going to get Smith, Chase, or Waddle.

7. Detroit Lions
    The Lions seem to have backed out of the QB race by gaining Golf. That trade also gave them ammo to wait until next season to draft a young QB if Goff busts. Look for them to grab BPA at WR or Edge.

So we can see there are really no serious trade down possibilities for us in the first 7, which kinda sucks for us. Also, several teams are looking for the same things we are, WR, o-line, edge. This makes trading down below 7 very risky if there is a blue chip we want at those positions. People saying the top WRs could fall to 8 or lower are wrong. Everyone in the top 7 is looking for true #1s. Its a priority this draft.

Carolina Panthers
    The panthers are now the highest picking team with a reasonable chance to trade up for a QB. If we trade with Carolina at 8 then its likely Smith, Chase, and Waddle are gone at WR, and the top edge/tackle as well. We might be looking at Pitts as our first pick in this scenario. Not bad, but I'm not wild about a TE being our big prize when so many other game changers are available to #2. This trade would require massive draft capital to convince me its worth it.

#1 ouchy, Mar 13, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Good analysis! And this is why I don't think Douglas will trade back. Although, based on your analysis, there might not be a big run on QBs before the Carolina pick, and if Douglas believes this to be the case, he might be willing to trade back gambling that his QB will still be there (assuming he doesn't want Wilson).

ouchy likes this.
  3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

TBH my main take away is that its going to be really hard to trade back and still get Devonta Smith. And even I cant deny that we need to trade back this season.

Its troubling because Smith is the most promising WR in decades.

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I think Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, and Randy Moss would like to have a word with you. ;)

5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Moss was decades ago.

As soon as I can find one item, one single flag or indicator, that says Smith is not the next Jerry Rice, I will back off. But there aren't any. This guy is going to completely change whatever offense he goes to.

westiedog1 likes this.
  6. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

This is how I see it

Miami - either trades back with someone coming up for Fields/Lance or takes Smith/Chase/Sewell

Atlanta - they have a lot of holes and are still in win now mode. They also could trade back or take an impact player like Parsons or Pitts. Their secondary is horrible too could Surtain be in the conversation? They could also figure they won’t have a top 5 pick and if Fields/Lance is there they might develop him behind Ryan but something tells me they trade back or take a player that helps now.

Cinci - I think it’s Chase/Smith/Sewell similar to Miami

Philly - Chase/Smith/Sewell here too. Those 3 are off the board by this spot.

Detroit could go in a number of directions as they are in a rebuild. I like Parsons here or Pitts/Waddle/Surtain/Slater

Carolina - I think loosing Samuel that Waddle makes sense or Pitts.

ouchy likes this.