Tc 8/13

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetcane, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Once again, there were a few thousand people out there. Maybe not as many as there were over the weekend, but still far more than i have seen at an early morning weekday practice in past years.

The carnival-like atmosphere at camp continues, and each day there are more and more people wearing their 4 shirts and jerseys. Today i even saw a couple of cheeseheads there!

Today was a business-like and very productive practice. The team spent a good amount of time working in individual units. I was by the fence of the grass field and stayed there to watch the DBs work out. During one drill, Miller and Revis were going one on one and Miller stepped on revis' foot as they were running. 24 came up a little lame, but walked it off and continued to practice.

The OL was working very quietly and intently under Callahan's watch. He is very different from Tony Wise, who was noisy and constantly yelling out things to the players. This group of OL seems to be a lot more focused.

They also spent time working on the punting game and later on did some KO reps, too. Leon took most of the punts, but it was spread around as Stuckey and Lowery also took some punts.

Then the offensive guys came back over and worked on running plays against the defense in 7 on 7s. The first team OL successfully opened up some nice lanes for Jones and Leon (on the flip side, the DL/ front 7 wasnt plugging up those lanes). Then favre moved from the handoff area to where the WRs were working with the other QBs, going one on one against DBs. favre threw a pair of 35 yard TDs, (both to Cotch, or possibly one to Cotch and one to Coles). He makes it look so easy, it is fun to watch him practice.

It was difficult figuring out all the players today as several of them were wearing gold or red numbers, signifying they were Redskins in the practice (I think Jason Taylor will be wearing 55 as they had one of the defenders in that number). I dont know who was wearing 89 (Moss) or 26 (Portis).

When they finally got to the 11 on 11s, Favre led off taking the snaps, but Clemens got a lot of reps today. i think he will get a lot of PT this week, for obvious reasons. Ratty looked sharp again, though his reps were limited.

Barrett came out as the first team RCB, but split time with Miller. Lowery also saw the field a good deal of time today. E. Smith started at S along with Rhodes.

Favre underthrew a long ball that Elam picked off, and threw one behind an open Baker, but he still looked good out there (better than any of the other QBs we have had lately). Franks looked better than he has, and is shaking off the off-season rust from his 30 year old body. He is starting to get in the flow of things. Keller and Baker are just about the same size, and are big targets. The TEs should be a big part of the offense this season.

Not facing eight men in the box with DBs cheating up to the LOS is going to open things up, imo. The inside passing lanes for the TEs look roomier, and the running game looked crisp today. The OL seemed to get the best of the DL today on the first unit, though the defense looked a little better when the second and third units were out there. That is not to say it was one-sided- it wasnt. There was good coverage in the secondary for the most part.

DeVito is getting a lot of reps in Ellis' spot. Kareem Brown did a nice job jamming up the middle on a few plays. Mosley and Pouha got some reps in too and drew double teams that knocked them out of the play a few times.
    The OL definitely had an edge to them today.

Jesse Chatman had a very strong practice running the ball.

They ran an end around to Coles and he turned on the burners and looked VERY quick getting around the edge.

Wallace Wright may be moving up the depth chart and challenging for the #3 WR spot.

There was one botched snap today, but no one had to tell Favre he needed to run a lap. Him and mangold immediately took off and circled the field while Clemens stepped in at the QB spot.

Sorry i couldnt provide more details today, but with so many guys wearing "scout" numbers, it was difficult to always know who was doing what.
    But i thought it was a solid practice, and it looked like they accomplished a lot of different things out there today.

2. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

No need to say sorry when we get more valid info from one of your reports then a week worth of the crap the guys who are paid to to it spew out.

Thanks again as always JC. :up:

3. #17 with a bullet

#17 with a bullet New Member

Thanks for posting man.

4. Favre2008

Favre2008 New Member

I second that. Thanks JC!

5. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Sounds like the day off worked like it was supposed to. Thanks JC.

6. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

thanks bro. always look forward to your reports. much more insight than the newspaper bums

7. #17 with a bullet

#17 with a bullet New Member

Here is Bolands T/C blog post.

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Hell of a job as always.

Miller better get the fuck off Revis' feet. Revis is not expendable like the way Miller has been playing this offseason.

9. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Yeah, if favre's arm is a little tired that would explain the underthrow that elam picked off and the couple of throws behind receivers.

i missed 42's runback as i was either moving places or maybe went to get one of the free Jets coffee cups they were handing out today.

The other thing to keep in mind is that a lot of plays today were devoted to things the Skins will run, as the scout team will do, and some of the patterns may not be the same timing as the ones the Jets use in their offense. but that is part of why i thought it was a productive practice- giving the guys a look at the upcoming team, even if there are some ragged edges in the execution.

The thing with favre's long passes like the one to smith is that a) they are not perfect spirals, and b) he puts a lot of hang time/air under them, yet they travel the distance. It is part of what makes watching him practice so interesting.

And i definitely agree with his statement that Thomas has had good coverage on keller, who has not been getting open consistently.

I also have posted that i am SURE that clemens is still listed as #2, which Boland now confirms.

And i think the day off definitely helped the RBs, who looked very sharp today.

10. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

any pics? i remember we used to have a lot of tc pics, maybe you need a photographer with you.?AA>

11. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

How's this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

13. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

Great post and pics!

14. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

Does Danica drive a stick?

giggle

15. 4transplant4

4transplant4 New Member

Amen to that! I'm new here and really enjoy reading your reports. Very well done!

16. kall2

kall2 Banned

I got more out of your post then all the sports shows. Thanks.