Tangini building a "win now" team

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LI JET FAN, Mar 17, 2008.

1. LI JET FAN

LI JET FAN New Member

Mike Tannenbaum can say we're building for the future all he wants. The facts speak differently signing Faneca and Franks has up the ante for both Tannenbaum and Mangini .The Giants winning the SB has made Woody a little antsy about the two wonder boys running his team. After a 10-6 first year expectations were high, however the team took 3 steps back after a dismal 4-12 season.Tannenbaum and Mangini must improve the Jets in 08' otherwise they will be out the door.Last season Tannenbaum and Mangini over played their hands regarding Kendall. Also to compound their problems with the OL they went cheap on the DL. Mangini saw his QB's take a pounding as both pass and run protection were bad.The defensive side was just as bad with the DL unable to get pressure on the opposing QB. The Jets spending as much as they did in free agency have painted themselves in to a corner for the next several years. Hopefully they have spent wisely.

2. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

I believe this point of view is a litle premature.

We have plenty of money to pay all our draft picks, regardless of who they are.

We do not know who the draft picks are nor how they fit into the overall team strategy.

I don't think we should criticize the NYJ FO for using every bit of ammunition they can to make this team better both now and in the future.

None of these FAs are good for 2008 only.

Let's see what the draft brings.

Should be fun.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I agree with most of what you say except, as someone pointed out in a earlier thread, I think Johnson is as much involved with this spending as anybody else. He has a new stadium coming in another year. The economy sucks and he has a lot of PSLs he wants to sell to corporate America. He needs to win and win now. He remembers all the empty seats at the end of last year as well as we do.

As far as painting themselves into a corner, no more so than trying to build through the draft. We have done that for the past 40 years and where has it gotten us? Everybody can be cut if it doesn't work out. We are only on the hook for the guaranteed money and rookies drafted in the first round get just as much. I would rather give it to somebody that has proven they can play than somebody we hope can play.

4. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

I completely disagree. Check out a post I pulled from another thread which should put all this "win now" and forget about the future bullsh1t to rest.

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=30962

We filled our major holes with the quality veterans we have been lacking by not resigning our own FAs. Adding 4 guys over the age of 26 to a team does not mean we are going for broke in one season...duh!

5. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I agree with this. I don't understand the mentality that says that this is always a black and white issue... building for the "long term" or "building for today" supposedly being two separate tactics completely unrelated to each other. It can be, but that's not the case here and there are many shades of gray.

As Tannenbaum points out in this morning's Star-Ledger article, we are still commited to building the team through the draft. His moves this offseason merely addressed the glaring needs exposed as the result of 4-12.

Going forward from here, we're where we should be and we can now draft BPA and contunue the build. While there clearly have been teams in the past that have "built for now" (see Washington Redskins), it continues to irk me that some feel that's what the Jets are doing now.

In no way have we mortgaged one iota of our future, trading away high future picks, for examlple, as other teams have done. I think Tannenbaum deserves a lot of credit for taking that cash that we had on the table and spending it wisely to bring us up to speed with the reat of the NFL, while still holding most of our draft picks this year and all of our future picks... nothing more, nothing less.

6. falcon4e

falcon4e Member

In my view, the Jets are building for now. But the overall point is... so what? Isn't that what we want? Or do we prefer picking up scraps and "feel good" stories? We're gonna continue to build through the draft and become a more competitive team that we were last year.

I also do think that maybe Tannenbaum and Mangini realize they have to show some progress next year in order to keep their jobs.

7. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Way to regurgitate some stuff you read somewhere and not back it up in any way with facts. Thanks for your unsupported opinion, it really adds to the discussion.

8. Don

Except we ARE going for broke this season. Don't make that sound like such a bad thing, it's not. Do you think NE would have gone 18-1 without bringing in Moss, Welker, Stallworth and Thomas? Not a chance. They have always been involved in FA since Bellichick got there and it hasn't hurt them a bit.

9. ghostridergo

ghostridergo New Member

It definitely think this a win now or win really soon team. It looks like that have to win more than 10 games this season to even make the playoffs

10. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

It's not just a win now team, they're building a winning atmosphere. The older players like Faneca and Woody both have rings and know what it takes to get there where the guys in their prime like Pace and Jenkins are hopefully out to prove themselves as stars. It's a changing of the culture process that Parcells always used by bringing in his guys because they've been there before.

11. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

I am pretty sure the Franks signing doesn't speak to anything other than adding TE depth with a one-year deal at $1.65mm.

The only signing that seemed on the old side (in terms of age and talent) was Woody. However, Mangini was with him in NE, so, for now, I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

12. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

I don't think so. They are building for the future AND trying to win now, it is possible to do both. They have 7 picks this year and 8 next year. And that doesn't take into account if DRob is traded. Plus they are signing their young players.

I don't think they are in trouble this year at all. I think they are on a 5 year plan with Woody and probably longer.

13. Don

Sure it is possible to do both but the emphasis is clearly to get back to the playoffs this year. We are one year removed. We had an easy schedule in '06, a terrible one last year and a much easier one this year. No reason with the additions we made we can't make a run at it. I will also bet you a buck we don't pick 7 players with those 7 picks this year. How many we trade down to I'm not sure but we won't be adding 7 rookies to 7 or 8 FAs. Not a chance.

14. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

the only signing i'm not sure about, is woody. overall, i think this teams got a nice mix of veterans, and young players. i see us on a nice rise.

15. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Well if they trade down, they will adding more picks not less. Unless they get picks in next years draft. Which I wouldn't mind, but that is still adding picks, which shows a long term view, of which I approve.

16. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

i agree with you there, but he wasn't as expensive as it was made out to be given what other o-linemen have been getting the past two offseasons.

next would be Jenkins. but he is only guaranteed $9.5mm so it isn't a cap killer.

then Pace, but I wouldn't fault a team for attempting to pay for future performance, not past

i am not concerned about faneca at all.

and, the signings of chatman, franks and richardson are all one-year deals

17. redneckjet

redneckjet New Member

I think this is a nice mix...........are we superbowl ready? HELL NO...but these guys will help us get there in the next few years! We've just gotta hang in there a little bit longer....it's coming folks!.............. sooner than you think!

18. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

We are superbowl ready. The time is now. Tannenbaum and company have been working towards us becoming Super Bowl contenders for this season and beyond. The rest of the league has no idea what type of fury we are about to unleash.

19. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Yeah...because we have stellar quarterback play and everything.

20. redneckjet

redneckjet New Member

hope you're right bro