Talks between Brees and New Orleans heating up?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Mar 12, 2006.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Saints | Brees in town; negotiations heating up
    Sat, 11 Mar 2006 15:26:43 -0800

ESPN.com's John Clayton and Len Pasquarelli report free agent QB Drew Brees (Chargers) is visiting with the New Orleans Saints and negotiations to land the free agent are heating up.

I only made a new thread for this because if Brees does agree to the Saints...that could REALLY change the draft.

2. nyjets2823

nyjets2823 Member

wow what would happen... i have a feeling it really wont matter becuase the saints would just trade the #2 pick to a team that wants leinart

3. PennyandtheJets

Well thats a big difference...hell it could be the Jets moving up to #2. If The Saints do sign Drew Bress I hope the Jets are one of the teams trying to get into that slot.

4. LockDown24

LockDown24 Active Member

The Saints don't necessarily have to trade the pick if they pick up Brees. A moree likely scenario is them using that pick on top rated guys like D'Brick or Mario Williams

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

They see Leinart as a possible BUST, as do I. :)

6. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Yea they just said on ESPN NEWS that the Saints will sign Brees by tomorrow and if they dont they will trade for Daunte Culpepper information from John Clayton as soon as Sunday night. This would def. make the draft a lot more interesting and it already is. What would the Saints do trade their pick or pick up a beast like Super Mario or D Brick. Interesting stuff going on cant wait to see what unfolds.

7. PennyandtheJets

They would no take Mario Williams...they already have two DE's.

They would probably LOVE to trade down. with either Tennessee or the Jets, get some extra picks and still land AJ Hawk.

If they do infact sign Brees I think the Jets should SERIOUSLY become aggressive in trying to obtain the #2 overall pick.

8. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Unless the Texans draft Ferguson instead of Bush, I think we should stay where we are if N.O. signs Brees. I don't know who has the fire power to move up into the #2 and take a guy that we would want ie Cutler, M. Williams, or Hawk

9. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

if the saints sign im almost willing to gurantee were drafting a qb. cause i dont see them paasing on D brick at #2. D brick on the left side and jamall brown on the right side brees should be well protected on the edges

10. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

And it would be Cutler because there's no way Norm Chow will pass up on Leinart

11. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Trading up is the last thing we need to do when there are so many amazing prospects available. Trade down if anything.

12. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

I agree. I don't want, nor do I expect, the Jets to trade up. Again, if you want to use the BB model in New England, he and Pioli are always trading down to amass more picks. Not sure the Jets want to take on the additional salary burden of a #2 pick when they're trying to clean up the salary cap mess either. If the Jets stay where they are, I see them taking Cutler or Mario Williams (probably more likely Williams, given his freak ability and EM's defensive background).

13. lightning

lightning Active Member

Yes, they did all of that after they had a franchise QB in place. We don't.

14. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

What would it realistically cost us to move up only two spots (albeit from 4 to the #2 pick overall). Anyone have any historical perspectives from previous drafts of similar trade ups?

15. CoachTsurfing

CoachTsurfing Banned

We need to stay put. More often then not, trading up for a player in the first round doesn't pan out well for many teams. If Leinart falls to us then we would have a nice choice between him and Cutler. I think Cutler is the better physical QB then Leinart. Cutler has a cocky attitude that allows him to do some amazing stuff, but also gets him into trouble. That is why they are comparing him to Farve. We also need to take into consideration that Cutler is a left handed QB. We will need to get a great RT. If we stay where we are, we will have a great opportunity to land one of the QB's or the next Peppers. We need to stay where we are!

16. PennyandtheJets

Leinart is the left handed QB...

17. PennyandtheJets

Sniff...Sniff...but...but, we need a franchise QB:(

18. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

Hell yea were getting closer and closer to drafting Leinart.

19. Cinvis

Cinvis New Member

from PFT

BREES DOESN'T WANT TO JOIN SAINTS

The scuttlebutt in league circles is that quarterback Drew Brees doesn't want to join the Saints, but that he's talking to them in the hopes of driving up the offer made by his preferred destination, the Miami Dolphins.

Word is that the Saints envision Brees as a short-term starter who would handle the job while Matt Leinart or Vince Young or Jay Cutler get ready to play. As a result, the Saints are offering the kind of deal that Kurt Warner signed two seasons ago in New York as Eli Manning got ready to play -- a two-year contract that is essentially a one-year deal.

The problem is that the Fins don't want to pay the same kind of money in 2006 that the Saints are willing to invest. Instead, Miami is giving Brees the opportunity to earn big money over the long term.

So the Saints are banking on Brees' shoulder being fully healed in time for the 2006 season, and the Dolphins are being more cautious.

In the end, Brees' best play might be to take less money in the short term with an organization that is far better equipped to succeed over the long haul.

20. PennyandtheJets

PFT has missed badly on reports like this before...

ESPN reported that the Saints were offering a big time contract...

I will go with ESPN on this situation.