~Taking McFadden a mistake~

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by fake_crs, Feb 26, 2008.

1. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

By Mike Celizic
    NBCSports.com contributor
    updated 9:18 p.m. ET, Mon., Feb. 25, 2008

Mike Celizic

Just when you thought there?s nothing left that could possibly surprise you, you hear this from Dallas: Jerry Jones isn?t willing to trade up to get Darren McFadden in the Cowboys backfield.

If this is true ? and the Dallas Morning News quotes him as saying as much ? it?s proof that the NFL is finally getting the message that the worst decision a team can make is to take a running back at the top of the draft.

This is not meant to be a shot at McFadden or running backs. There?s still nothing more exciting in football than watching a great back faking behemoths out of their knickers and running over anybody who dares to get in their way.

McFadden appears to be a fine specimen of the breed, a man with blazing speed and terrific elusiveness. Jones has particular reason to covet McFadden: they share the same alma mater, Arkansas.

A couple of months ago, the speculation was that Jones, who is losing running back Julius Jones to free agency, would consider trading his other back, Marion Barber to the Dolphins for the top pick in the draft so he could take McFadden.

It was a hideous idea and has been for pretty much forever. Barber is a terrific back, and the Cowboys got him in the fourth round. Re-signing him will still be cheaper than paying McFadden the going rate for the top overall pick in the draft. Dallas will still need a back-up for Barber, but there are plenty of running backs to choose from, and history says you don?t need a Heisman Trophy finalist to win the Super Bowl.

There are some other issues with McFadden. He?s been involved in a couple of nightclub scuffles, he?s named in a paternity suit and, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported, he?s expecting two more children by two different women. There?s no crime in having children, but none of this speaks for McFadden?s self-discipline ? or judgment. He hasn?t heard of a condom?

Or is he just imitating famous unwed father Tom Brady?

It doesn?t really matter. Neither McFadden nor any other running back is worth the top pick. Yes, you will find a Tony Dorsett or a Jim Brown and win a title with him once in a generation, but most great backs taken at the top of the draft ? O.J. Simpson, Earl Campbell, Eric Dickerson, and Barry Sanders to name a few ? don?t win championships. They don?t even get to the championship game.

But two years ago, there were the Saints as excited as kids at Christmas when the Texans took Mario Williams, leaving them with Heisman hero Reggie Bush. For a year, it looked as if it might have been a great move, but not any more. Williams had a great season last year and Bush was a non-factor.

Slide show

Week in Sports Pictures
    Tough times for LeBron and Yao, big boxing brouhaha, water frenzy, and more.
    more photos

Even Adrian Peterson, the prize running back of last year?s draft, didn?t get the Vikings into the playoffs despite all his gaudy statistics. Plus, he got hurt. He wasn?t hurt badly, but enough to miss playing time.

Twenty years ago, there would have been a stampede to the top of the draft to get McFadden, and ten years ago, there might not have been a stampede, but several G.M.s would have been willing to arm wrestle for the right to draft him.

Today, the mock drafts have him going no higher than fourth ? to the Raiders ? and most likely sixth to the Jets, behind several defensive and offensive linemen and Boston college quarterback Matt Ryan.

That seems about right, although if I were a Jets fan, I wouldn?t object to seeing more defensive help before a running back, even one as talented as McFadden.

It goes against every football instinct to say that, but the longer I watch the game, the less in love I am with super backs. Just last September, the New York Giants went into the season wondering how they could possibly cope without their all-everything back Tiki Barber, who had retired after the 2006 season. Brandon Jacobs wasn?t anywhere near as productive as Barber, and all the Giants did was beat the undefeated Patriots and win their third Super Bowl. The one thing you could say about Jacobs was that he was more talented than the back the Giants won their second Super Bowl behind ? a superannuated O.J. Anderson.

McFadden will probably have a great rookie season for some team, and he?ll sell a lot of jerseys and excite the fans, but he?s not going to win a championship, and the odds are he?ll be hurt and on his way out of the league at about the same time the guys taken around him are settling into the primes of their careers.

That?s just the way it is. What makes this year unusual, is that the people who make the draft picks are finally starting to realize that.

2. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

btw for what it is worth, I agree with this 100%. I hope Mangini is smart enough to realize this. Just like the first 5 teams will be.

3. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

^^ I don't think it is a mistake for the Jets to take Mcfadden; it is a gamble. It is a gamble with any of the top picks because they cost you the most if you are wrong. Case and Point: DRob taken #4 in a trade up if I'm not mistaken. Did we get our monies worth - not even close. DRob is not a bust, but from a value standpoint he never played to his pick position in the draft in terms of potential. Now, the guy costs us 11.5 on the cap.

McFadden is a gamble. I like him a lot better in the #6 spot as opposed to paying for him in the top 5. Now, character. Last time a checked, having children out of wedlock is not dog fighting or shooting up a strip bar. As long as McFadden is responsible about his committment to his children then to me it is a non-issue.

They guy is lightning fast and could be used well in our passing game as well as a speed back. McFadden like any other decent running back, will need a good offensive line to have the best chance of excelling. If the Jets ante up for an offensive line in the FA market then I think I would be able to digest the signing of McFadden to the Jets quite nicely.

4. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

4 babies with 4 different women at 20 years old...

5. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

The RB position is not only filled better then most positions on the Jets. Also, an elite RB is NOT needed to win a SB. See the last decade worth of SBs for proof. A solid Oline and Dline is ESSENTIAL. See the last decade worth of SBs for proof.

Mangini will not be that stupid not to realize this. Especially after watching the NYGs do what they did this year with their unknown RBs.

6. SameOldJets2008

SameOldJets2008 New Member

I agree rbs are a dime a dozen, but if you find a special one, it is worth taking them highly.

Do you think viking fans are second guessing taking Adrain Peterson last year?

Now i dont know if DMC will be special but, he certainly has the speed to.

7. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

I agree, I like McFadden and I think he'll have a good pro career, but running back isn't as important of a position as people make it seem.

8. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

What exactly did the Vikings do last year? Not much, dispite APs numbers. Plus he got hurt.

9. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

The Vikings have 3 pro bowlers on their Offensive line and the best defensive tackle tandem in the NFL.

They can afford to draft the BPA.

10. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

If paternity is any indicator of a RB's abilities, then sign me up for DMC, cause Sticky Ricky is the king when it comes makin' babies.

11. SameOldJets2008

SameOldJets2008 New Member

Now can you telll me that the colts had a DOMINATING Oline and Dline during thier superbowl run, is that what won them the superbowl? If you ask me it was thier studs at thier skill position that outplayed everyone else. That won them the game. Not a DOMINATING LINE

12. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Not wearing protection is not a crime. It really doesn't bother me as long as he assumes whatever responsiblity he should.

Now, if it were my son, I wouldn't be very thrilled, but my son is not going to get a multi-mil contract dangled in his face either.

13. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Sorry, but if I'm going to sign someone for that kind of money, I expect better judgement. That's just my opinion though.

14. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Hey, anytime a member of your team is hitting the hole they should have adequate protection. Look at how poorly Jones did this past year without it? :)

15. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

Yes, the Colts had a MUCH improved Defense for their SB then the prior years where they flirted with the Pats but always seemed to come up just short. Their defense finally started to get some respect and THEN they won a SB. Get your facts straight. And if you think that Payton is anything other then a POCKET passer then you are delusional. Meaning, his OLINE protects him enough not to be on his back all game. Yes the Colts had DOMINATING lines for their SB run. So have the Pats, and So did the Giants.

Mangini is not that stupid. He will build protection for his QB and and get some real blocking for the running game, along with continuing to build a respectable Defense with a pass rush. Thats what wins SBs. Not RBs.

16. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

OK, let me explain things better:

1) The guy obviously brings his most potent shit to game day - positive

2) The guy can tear up turf without a helmet on - positive

3) Obviously, he thinks he is better than Bush - positive

4) Very good inside out moves - positive

5) Has shown he can carry a heavy load - positive

6) He can create in space - positive

7) One negative - he has shown he can fumble the load at times

All we have to do is teach him to start punching it through the end zone and what he leaves behind will take care of any future mistakes

I am willing to take chances here.

If this doesn't make you laugh, something is amiss.

#16 GreenHornet, Feb 26, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  17. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

How hard is it to buy a frickin condom?

I think character issues are a bit overrated, but its pretty pathetic to have 4 children from 4 different women by the time you're 20. For the most part, I don't think it bodes too well for your future self-control.

Stewart or Mendenhall for the win

And good stuff GH :)

18. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

FWIW, Mike Celizic is an idiot.

19. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

This article is right on the money.

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

4 babies with 4 woman? 20 yrs old???

lets say he started banging when he turned, oh, say 10. No, let's say 15. ok. so that's five years of banging. say the stud baller gets fresh tuna (flown in from alaska) 2-3 times a week. so that's 3x52x5=780 cumshots at parenthood. 780!!!!!

so? He's 4 out of 780????????? that's only .005% success rate! that sucks!!!

Only Shack has worse numbers.