taking draft spot into account WR/ TE

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Murrell2878, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Based on where we are drafting i do not believe we will land one of the top WR s. I like either Kelvin Benjamin or one of the top TE s.

2. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Watkins and Evans should be gone when we are OTC. I believe Lee has a better than a 50% chance to be available. At this point, I don't feel Benjamin is worth the 18th pick.

I wouldn't pass up Ebron for Lee. I'd rather take the top TE in Round 1 and have many more options with the solid WRs that are going to be available in Rds 2 & 3. The TEs after the top 3 are just JAGS, might as well have Cumberland as your #1 TE, which isn't a good move.

The Jets can significantly upgrade 2 keys positions by drafting Ebron and one of the numerous 2/3 round WRs.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

My best case scenario, I hope we address the positions in this order ...

RD1 - TE
    RD2 - WR
    RD3 - S
    RD3 - QB
    RD4 - OLB / offensive lineman

4. NFL

NFL Active Member

Round 3 is too early for a QB IMO. I don't like any QB other than Manziel, and I wouldn't even take him in the first.

5. 101GangGreen101

Jets need a QB.

Mettenberger, Fales, and Jimmy Garoppolo are all 3rd round prospects - all 3 with exceptional talent and upside. Even so, Garoppolo could be a long shot in the 3rd. You make these guys 3rd on the depth chart and acquire a Vet to compete with Geno Smith.

There are QBs out there in the 3rd to 4th rounds that could end up being better than Manziel. Dude has such a floor as a QB, it's not even funny.

6. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Ride or die with Geno for at least one more year. If they see value in the draft at QB, I don't have a problem taking one. However, as far as I'm concerned, we gave Sanchez 4 years, we could afford to give Geno at least 2. He showed promise last year at times (and was also incredibly frustrating), but they say that it's not until after year 3 that you could even begin to feel remotely comfortable being an NFL QB. Things get accelerated in NY too much, so I have to say you at least have to give him one more and see if he improves.

7. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

This is how I feel at the moment. Stud TEs don't hit the market very often. There will be plenty of capable WRs in FA and in the 2/3 round of this year's draft.

8. NFL

NFL Active Member

I do not like any QB in this class. Manziel is so-so because I like how he plays the game. I'd much rather stock up on talent as much as possible instead of throwing another worthy pick at a QB who IMO aren't worth it.

Next year if we still think we need a QB after getting talent on offense, we start the search. At that point we'd have the luxury to trade picks and do whatever we need to get our QB. Then there's no excuses of having a talentless team. It's a win win either way.

9. 101GangGreen101

Just because you don't like any of the QBs in this class does not mean the Jets do not - it's a stupid excuse for not drafting a talented QB. There is value at the top of the 3rd round and on - the Jets QB position as a whole needs an upgrade. Gone will be Sanchez, Simms and Garrard. To upgrade the position, the Jets should look to draft someone in the 3rd round or on (the QBs I mentioned above for example) and have that QB sit on the bench and development.

Geno will still get his chance to start this year, but that does mean you cannot upgrade the position and the depth chart.

10. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

Ebron/Amaro followed by a Davante Adams or a Brandin Cooks would be awesome.

The third round depends. If we sign a FA WR, I'd probably look safety. To be honest, with the strength of this WR draft class, I'd rather skip the WR in FA and bring in a safety in FA. I'm not a huge fan of any of the safeties in this class. We could then double up on WR in the 2nd+3rd round.

Ebron/Amaro+Cumberland at TE and then lets say Adams, Abbrederis, Kerley, Hill, Nelson at WR is a very good group, especially if Hill learns how to play Football.

#10 Matt4776, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  11. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

If you want a developmental QB you can grab someone later in the draft. There is no need to waste a third round pick on a so-so talent like the players on your list. We can use the help in many other areas.

12. 101GangGreen101

Kirk Cousins was drafted in the 3rd round of the draft. There are QBs that can be drafted in the 3rd round that could ultimately become starters. Mike Glennon for example. We are looking for a QB that can push Geno and if Geno is not suitable becomes a potential starter.

Jets aren't sold on Geno and if they see a QB THEY LOVE QB available - they will take him in the 3rd round especially if it is BPA.

We can still address the offense with the other 3rd rounder and the other picks available.

#12 101GangGreen101, Jan 9, 2014
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'd have an awfully hard time passing up on Lee, but I'm coming around to your way of thinking, even though I'm traditionally against drafting a TE in the 1st round, even though the position has become much more important and I can see the value of having a stud TE. I would have taken Vernon Davis in the 1st round, and could see myself taking Ebron. While I don't see any way that Matthews or Benjamin would be there at the Jets pick in the 2nd round, perhaps Beckham, Adams, or Cooks will be. If not, and Landry is rated a good bit lower, then the Jets might be in a bit of a pickle in terms of drafting a WR if they can't trade down.

#13 NCJetsfan, Jan 9, 2014
  14. NCJetsfan

I think the two of you could be talking apples and oranges. Depending upon your definition of a "developmental QB," I think there's a difference between "developmental" QB and a QB you are drafting to compete for the starting job and probably become your #2 QB.

I think of a "developmental QB" as one who has some excellent intangibles or intriguing arm talent and a pretty high ceiling, but is either very raw due to lack of playing time and experience, and/or playing against a very low level of competition; who has some major fundamentals issues like throwing motion, footwork, pocket presence, instincts, etc. I definitely agree that that type of QB shouldn't be drafted anywhere near the 3rd round. I'd say no higher than the 6th round.

If the Jets are looking to draft a QB this year, I don't think he will be of the "developmental" type, however. If they do, I think they will be looking for a guy who could possibly seriously challenge Geno for the starting spot within a year, or who would become their backup QB of the future. For that level of QB, I think the 3rd or 4th round is perfect.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

How do teams that draft TE's in the 1st round generally do?

TE might be one of those positions where if you mine gold after the 1st you're in great shape but finding a 1st round guy doesn't dramatically improve the team.

It's probably going to be hard to sort this out though because Bill Belichik was manic obsessive about drafting TE's in the 1st, and did well even though those TE's failed. Then he started drafting TE's after the 1st and did well when they succeeded. Then they failed and he continued to do well anyway.

It'd be an interesting problem to try to factor TE's out of the Pat's success and see what their actual value to the team was.

16. NCJetsfan

Seriously? You wouldn't take Teddy Bridgewater? OMG. No offense meant, but I'm glad you aren't the GM. I think he has a TON of potential. He's smart, polished, poised/calm in the pocket, is a leader, has a very quick release, is accurate, has an NFL caliber arm and can make all the throws, is mobile. He doesn't have a cannon like Luck or Rothlisberger, but I think is a topflight QB prospect. Just because he isn't flashy like Manziel doesn't mean he can't play.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's a Matt Ryan caliber prospect. Probably never going to be a dominant QB but always going to be good enough to win big if you put enough talent around him.

18. 101GangGreen101

It's about getting the best play-maker to help the offense. TE or WR. Vernon Davis on the 49ers (whom Ebron is compared to athletically) has had an integral role on the offense.

But it's not just about the TE in round 1, it's the WR in round 2. We need a set of players. The good TEs are available high (1st round) and the middle to floor is pretty bad talent wise when it comes to TEs

Large Wide Receiver crop from 1st round to 3rd round.

Imagine the Jets walking away with Ebron and Jordan Matthews?

19. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Give me Kelvin Benjamin in the first then Marcel Jensen in the third. If you haven't heard of Jensen look him up. Senior. 6'6 270 will run around 4.7 speed. Absolute monster.

Then I would add another TE like Colt Lyerla, Arthur Lynch or Jacob Pedersen.

20. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

If we're drafting a TE, I want a complete TE. Not a guy that is just called one. Otherwise you're essentially just drafting a giant WR. I want a guy that can make a difference in the passing game (maybe not like Jimmy Graham but still a very good difference), but is also going to hold his own in the run game for you.