Super Secret thread-Members Only

Discussion in 'Crystal Ball' started by GreenMachine, May 6, 2008.

1. GreenMachine

Bunkermates, talk about our Jets here. You must wear your Members only jacket.

[​IMG]

2. Denny

Denny Active Member

I had that jacket in grey back in high school. One my all time favs.

3. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Hah! This thread rules!

Anyway, I'm actually looking forward to seeing all the new Jets, plus the QB competition. I have a feeling that Chad is going to win the job out of camp, and I'm not really upset about that. Whoever gives us the chance to win is who I want to see play.

With a shored up OLine, I think our running game will be vastly improved. As a "side effect", it will increase the amount of time our QB (Chad) has to throw, therefore allowing a smart QB to make the better throws, rather than the pick-6s.

With our new defense, I think we're also going to be working with very good field position, which shouldn't be underestimated. The front 7 is looking very interesting thanks to that revamped LB corps. Hopefully someone out of the corner unit will step up and be a good compliment to Revis.

I don't think a playoff run is out of the question at all. Maybe even a couple wins in January.

4. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

I agree! I'm very optimistic for this new season, with the powerful new faces on both sides. Fanaca was the starting point, then the additions of Pace and our draft picks. I have a feeling this is going to be a great year to be a JETS fan. :jets:

5. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Is there a secret handshake to enter the super secret thread? Or an initiation ritual? Just warning you, I don't like needles.

As for the Jets I am still worried about the Oline. I would have like to have drafted a high RT and moved Woody to RG. And we don't have many good young guys providing depth and getting ready to jump in when the old guys retire.

I am hoping out of Bender, Garner, or one of the others on the practice squad shakes out, but I'm not sure.

I think the Oline will be great this year and probably next. But Moore is still a major weak point, and we are going to be in trouble 3 years from now or if someone gets hurt.

The only pick I really didn't like was Henry. Nothing really stands out with him. Even his hightlight reels are rather ordinary. But he is only a 6th rounder so no biggie.

6. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

My view of both lines is that they were both stitched up for the short-term. This team is constructed to compete seriously either this year, or next. After that, there's a number of positions that will be significantly weaker. (Both lines, RB, QB-unless Clemens is the real deal, & WR.) We'll be surviving on our LBs/secondary again in 2010.

I don't know if there will still be enough pieces left 2 years down the road to prevent another rebuilding cycle. In the meantime though, I'll take what we're given, and hope for an amazing draft in '09.

7. OhioJetsFan

OhioJetsFan Member

My man Alio... hope springs eternal.

8. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

I don't know. I think the team is constructed to be competitive in the short term, but it feels more like a long term build. With the team getting younger at key positions and trying to get rid of aging vets and past mistakes.

Add to that Woody saying publicly that next year is not a do or die for the CS and FO, and he will stay by them. Also with the new training facility and stadium.

To me the signing of guys like Pace, and drafting Harris, Revis, Mangold, Brick, Gholston, Keller, resigning Pouha, Rhodes, and Cotchery all have a long term aspect. And the team is looking to add talent and not just fill holes like the past regime.

But in the same token, they don't want to go 4-12 in the meantime. Hence the signing of prime vets like Faneca, Jenkins, Woody, Richardson, Franks, Jones.

I really do like their approach. But next year, they need quantity in the draft.

9. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

well look at this shiney new place I've discovered!!! We need a hand shake...

10. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Here we go:

[​IMG]

11. brothermoose

I'm with you on this one D. Somebody posted in the main forum that we have one of the younger teams by average player age in the NFL (I'm really having a hard time finding it on a site). I don't know why everyone looks at our offseason signings as a sign pointing toward a do or die season. I look at it as we were able to plug a bunch of holes that were glaringly apparent after two years of our regime.

I tend to think that the cap had a lot to do with our inactivity last year (mainly D-slob). There also weren't nearly the amount of quality starters available last year through FA and/or trade. Just look at the flurry of DT trades this year vs. last year.

As for TJ's age...I like to think with a kick-ass line that Leon could be our Warrick Dunn a.k.a. feature back, once TJ retires (yeah, I see him here until he calls it quits). We just need a bruiser to compliment him in the T.J. Duckett mold. Hopefully we won't have to wast good money or draft value on a feature back.

12. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

13. brothermoose

14. Youth Is Served

Youth Is Served New Member

I agree with you here and I was exstatic when Mangini and Tannenbaum were put in charge. It really seems they have more control over Woody than anyone in the past. They have worked really well together and the drafts they put together are outstanding.

I think things are being done the correct way. They are building the main positions needed to run their style. While plugging in the other holes with veterans. They did an excellent job in the 3 years they were given to rebuild this team. This is now THEIR team.

I think they will be very competitive and make a strong push for the playoffs maybe even the division. I think 11-5 is realistic but more likely 10-6.

This is a drafting CS and they know how to do it and most of those players you named were drafted by them.

Kudos to Woody for sticking with these guys and kudos to this CS for building this team for the future.

Youth

15. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

Thank Google is my friend :wink:

Friends always come to me when they need to find stuff I do a lot of research at my college so get used to what key words to use in searchs.

16. GreenMachine

This thread is playing out nicely!

BTW, i will delete any tool head's stupid remarks to keep it cleaned up.

My State of the Jets Report to come soon

17. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Okay so here is a question for the super secret thread.

We can see that the FO is trying to get younger and infuse more pure talent.

Looking at the roster and the moves made this year. What position(s) do you feel should be the focus during next seasons offseason? I don't mean what positions you like that you want to see more big plays out of, or "depth." I mean what positions are getting long in the tooth and need some new talented youth (NOT projects).

Here's mine:

1) DE - Ellis is getting real old and his play is dropping. Coleman is in his prime but I think would do better in a rotation.

2) OL - Woody and Faneca are old but have a few good years left. And Moore just shouldn't be starting.

3) FB - We need a new young FB that we can develop into a road grader. That can open up holes for any RB we put back there for the next 10 years - Our own Neal or Richardson (In their prime, not the old version we have now).

18. Capt. Ace Nick

Is that a diagram of how to get the black man handshake on your prick.

19. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Like Doc has shown us, the Jets are averaging out fairly well for team age. Not to mention that for next year's draft we're gonna have like 5 picks between the 3rd and 4th rounds due to our trades paybacks. If we keep these picks and use them we're looking to get even younger and add depth to our skill positions.

If this Draft pans out like we all hope it does then imagine how much exciting it will be knowing we have a very good FO/CS/Scouting team that has an eye for talent and a surplus of picks to go with it.

20. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

1 DE totally agree with you there

2 WR unless both Stuckey and Henry blow up this year and show that we dont need one we have no proven #1 guy. I think Coles will be done after this year.

3 ILB Besides Harris we got nothing not even quality depth here.

My secondary needs are

1 FB Richardson aint go much left in his tank and its only a 1 year deal. I think we are going to try out the guy from Michigan State at that this year if he makes team or the practice squad.

2 OL Need to get a potential starter for either Woody, Faneca, or Moore

3 DB depending on how players work out into positions from this year this could be a CB or FS.