Super Bowl or Bust

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pluvrr, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

NFL Preview 2010: It's Super Bowl or bust for New York Jets - just ask them, they'll tell you

BY Manish Mehta
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, September 8th 2010, 4:00

With All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis back in the fold, Rex Ryan (below) is confident he will take ultimate postgame shower this February after Jets win Super Bowl.

With All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis back in the fold, Rex Ryan (below) is confident he will take ultimate postgame shower this February after Jets win Super Bowl.

He brushed past the fray in silence.

The celebration was underway inside Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis as Rex Ryan made a hard left and disappeared into the losers' locker room.

Despite the Jets' improbable postseason run, the coach felt like a failure. For two consecutive seasons, the Super Bowl beckoned. For two consecutive seasons, he came up just short.

So, Ryan made a promise to himself before addressing his team in the aftermath of the Jets' 30-17 loss to the Colts in the AFC Championship Game in February: It's not going to happen again.

Seven months later, that hollow feeling fuels Ryan, the brash leader of the most hated team in the NFL, to end the Jets' 41-year championship drought.

The Jets' 2010 mission statement is as clear as it is bold: Super Bowl or bust.

"We know what we got to do," linebacker Calvin Pace said. "We talk about it every day. It's ingrained in us. It's win or else."

Ryan's bluster has put a target squarely on the Jets, a bull's-eye directed at the chattiest bunch in sports.

From the brash predictions to the fearless claims, the Jets have morphed into the team that everyone loves to despise. "We're the Miami Heat of football," cornerback Antonio Cromartie said.

"It doesn't matter to me," linebacker Bart Scott said. "It's much more fun to be the villain than the hero."

Damn the critics.

Ryan and his players don't care.

So, they've turned up the decibel level, unafraid to talk about their all-or-nothing directive. Even before All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis ended his holdout, when it appeared he might miss the start of the season, the Jets seemed undaunted by the possibility of embarrassment of falling short of the ultimate goal.

Their words embolden them.

"Some people may think if we took a step closer and just got there, that'd be enough," tight end Dustin Keller said. "But it's not at all. This team is basically Super Bowl or bust."

Ryan speaks with a purpose, speaks from experience and speaks with an impressive resume attached to his every word. Strip away the bravado, look beneath the tough talk, and you'll find one of the smartest football minds of this generation.

Before the Jets' magical run in the playoffs last season, Ryan's defense in Baltimore helped the Ravens reach the AFC Championship Game in 2008.

The Jets' second-year coach has talked openly about his belief in his team even if he has stopped short of making a Namath-esque Super Bowl guarantee.

"Is it going to be easy? Hell no," Ryan said. "There's no guarantee that this is going to happen. But I sense it's going to happen. I really believe that we're going to do this thing. In my heart, I think this is the time."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...r_bust_for_bigtalking_jets.html#ixzz0yyo6hCFi

2. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

You gotta put it out there. You gotta believe.

3. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

I love Bart Scott.

4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

From your heart to Revis Christ's ears... we believe. Praise be.

Its our time. Why not now?

5. damnboy19

damnboy19 New Member

just one roadblock and that is spanish leinart. i just dont ever trust qb's from u.s.c. Mark Sanchez, Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart, Sean Salisbury, Rodney Peete, Pat Haden, Matt Cassel, Bill Nelsen, Pete Beathard, Vince Evans, Paul McDonald, Todd Marinovich, Rob Johnson AND John David Booty all have either sucked or had medicore careers (except Palmer).

6. ........

........ Trolls

You're ignoring the fact that USC was predominantly a run first team for most of its history. There's a reason why 'Student Body Right' is perhaps the most enduring phrase associated with the school's history. They've had QBs like Marinovich and Johnson who were deemed NFL ready but came out of an entirely different Trojan system and failed.

As far as today is concerned, the only QBs who were really NFL ready to come out were Palmer, Leinart, and Sanchez. Expectations for Booty were minimal, to say the least. Out of those 3, Leinart had attitude problems dating back to his high school days at Mater Dei. Palmer and Sanchez are the closest to compare as far as their mentality toward the game. I'd say that bodes well for Sanchez.

7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

The Jets winning a Super Bowl would just...I don't know, be like a dream came true.

8. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I don't think I'll have the slightest idea how to react if the Jets were to win the Super Bowl.

9. steelzeppelin

steelzeppelin Member

Sanchez is only in his second year

10. AKoffjet

AKoffjet New Member

hahaha Bart Scott: "its much more fun to be the villain than the hero"

I don't mind the talk and all, but there's a lot of bad blood out there toward the jets

11. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Please explain what that has to do with the Jets not winning the SB.

12. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

I'm happy there is bad blood out there. Only makes us stronger.

You hit one of our guys, we're gonna hit two of yours......

Go Jets. Kick some fucking ass out there!!!:jets:

13. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Thank god this assclown was banned. All I saw him write about is that he is the "Spanish" Leinart. Hello? Sanchez is Mexican-American, what a retard...oh yeah and THEY TOOK R JOBS!!!!!!

14. CMR1975

CMR1975 New Member

If they don't at least make to the SB, they've got some big words to eat.

15. CMR1975

CMR1975 New Member

PS - gotta love Bart

16. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

Show me a team that doesn't think they can win the superbowl and I'll show you a team that won't.

I'm getting really tired of this "Rex put a bull's eye on us" crap. NFL players are playing as hard as they can regardless of who they're playing.

They may take a little extra satisfasction if they beat us, but they're not playing harder because it's the JETS. To do so would be to admit they are not giving it their all against all the other teams...they are.

17. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

Ryan said it best himself: "You got a bulls-eye on our backs? We got one on your chest."

Every NFL game is a tooth and nails, fight to the last whistle brawl. If you think that Rex Rayn talking big in the offseason is going to be the difference between winning the Super Bowl and going home empty handed, then you don't know shit about this league.

18. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Am I the only one happy that most of the "experts" aren't picking us?

I think its going to be the Jets and the Cowboys in the playoffs at the end of all things. At first this was the favorite pic, but then everyone started hating, blah blah, and we kinda fell into the darkness.

I mean when was the last time these "experts" even picked the Super Bowl Champion correct? No one pick the Saints last year. No one picked the Steelers the year before. No one picked the Giants, I can go on.....

I hope no one picks us, !!!

#18 soxxx, Sep 9, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  19. ........

........ Trolls

Now it's the Cowboys?

This is all within a day. Wow.

20. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

bull dung.

the goal is to win the whole dang enchilada. if a player doesn't have that as his goal he shouldnt be on the team or step on the field. there is no shame in believing in yourself and your teammates and setting goals. its pretty incredible that some people have a problem with players and coaches believing that they can win it all. Bizarre.