Suggs fails physical--MERGED

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gafher, Aug 15, 2006.

1. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

Im curious to know what caused Suggs to fail his physical. I can recall at least one time, and I think it was this offseason, that a player failed his physical in a situation like this, but in the end the trade got done anyway. Maybe the compensation for said player was reduced or something. Anyway, point is that if it isnt a serious injury, something like that happening wouldnt be out of the question. They want Strait, and we want Suggs. If the reason Suggs failed wasnt that big of a deal, I wouldnt be surprised if they ended up getting something done anyway.

Of course, if hes got a bum knee or something, then its over. The question is, is this the sort of condition where now that you know about it, you really dont even want the player.

2. Jets41815162342

Jets41815162342 New Member

Suggs, Strait ... why do we really give a crap. Neither would have any real impact on this lousy team anyway.

Let Brad Smith QB and play without a RB. 4 tight end sets.

3. DariusVassell

DariusVassell Member

Well your'e free to follow Reggie and the Saints anytime you like

4. ColezDeep!

ColezDeep! New Member

Chris Brown most likely

5. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

Well that sucks

6. WayneChrebet

WayneChrebet New Member

In regards to Strait being pissed...maybe he is, but the best thing for him to do would be to.......

...show up to camp with a smile on his face as quickly as possible...and do just what Mangini said, get to work.

Not only would this put him in good standing with his current team, the Jets, but would be recognized by any other team now looking at him as a trade option.

7. Phlyphrytz

Phlyphrytz New Member

Browns | Savage comments on Suggs
    Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:44:22 -0700

Cleveland Browns general manager Phil Savage released a statement Tuesday, Aug. 15, on the state of RB Lee Suggs, who returned to the team after failing his physical with the New York Jets. "The parameters of the trade between the Jets and the Browns were that each player had to pass a physical. Both players have had injuries during their careers and unfortunately it didn't work out. This spring Lee Suggs has participated in every mini-camp practice and all of our OTA's. He has also participated in every practice during training camp and played in our first preseason game at Philadelphia last week (Aug.10). Medical opinions can vary from team to team, and obviously this is one team's opinion. We anticipate Lee Suggs returning to the Browns and working hard in practice and preparing for the season to the best of his ability, just as he has shown throughout his career with the Browns."

Might be right... maybe there is another trade prospect in the works.

hmmmmm.........?

8. baamf

baamf Active Member

That is very strange, something fishy going on around here....

9. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

if Suggs didnt miss any camp, or the pre season game, I don't see how he failed the physical, is there some small injury hes play with or something?

10. neid92

neid92 Well-Known Member

This is from CBS SportsLine: "We have a whole series of tests that we do, and we were very thorough with the process," Jets coach Eric Mangini said. "He just didn't pass those tests. ... Each team has a criteria they set up that they believe is what's important and what's needed to be competitive. I'm very comfortable with the tests we have set up." http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9602648

11. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Savage is excersizing damage control. While what he says is true (about medical opinions varying), Suggs' value on the open market just diminished by 50%. It's a shame, because Penny could have used a healthy Suggs to help him move the chains.

12. Section 227. Row 5

It sounds like Mangini has strict guidelines. I don't have a problem with that. We should have had stricter guidelines when we went after DeWayne Robertson, for example. We wouldn't have traded two draft picks and paid the guy a ton of money had we been able to scrutinize his knee condition a little better. I know the situation was different because he was a draft pick, so it would have been harder to evaluate... but still... we need higher standards than we had before. I've got no problem with rejecting a trade over possible health issues.

13. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Not the end of the world, there's still many legit options for us out there. Chris Perry, Eric Shelton, Turner if we're lucky haha... I'm sure we will find someone good enough to improve the running game.

The most dissapointing part of the deal falling through is that all we had to give up was Strait.

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The Jets just lucked out!!

I agree and on top of that, I think this team just lucked out with this development. All we need in another gimp on this roster. Another Player with physical/IR issues. Yippiddy do dah. Romeo Crennel can keep his trash to himself and stop trying to jerk his old buddy Mangini around..

Perhaps things ARE finally turning for the better at Jets HQ. Too bad the Mets didn't do their homework with Zambrano as thoroughly as Mangini did..

#114 Cman68, Aug 15, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  15. Section 227. Row 5

The rejection of Suggs at the last minute speaks volumes for the clarity of vision and focused determination of Mangini and Tanny. Completely undaunted and unintimidated by the fact that the Suggs thing was all over every major media, including TV, as if it were a done deal and irrevocable beyond all imagination, Mangini and Tannenbaum have the unmitigated balls to announce, "No deal, fellas." This, even after Cimini goes on TV to comment on it!

Herm and Bradway would have succumbed to the media pressure: "Oh well, it's all over the media now, so I guess we'd better go through with it and keep our fingers crossed, even though this MRI thing shows a little more damage here than we thought."

These two guys have also served notice to the rest of the league: "We'll represent our people openly and honestly if you want to trade with us, but all we ask is that you don't send us your turds disguised as chocolate eclairs, 'cause we ain't buyin' 'em."

16. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

so what are you getting at exactly?

17. Z-Dog

Z-Dog New Member

Lee Suggs has a weird neck condition, some kind of narrowing of the spine. It makes him more susceptible to head injuries, iirc. I think that this condition is why he failed the Jets' physical, but why he has been able to practice with the Browns.

18. Angry Teste

Angry Teste Active Member

No one has even mentioned...wasn't Justin McCareins not allowed to practice because he didn't pass this same physical? I don't think there is any mystery behind this. We have a new system, and it has some aspects that require a higher standard.

We can't go listing running backs and cry "We should trade for THIS guy, we're stupid if we don't!", because the team WITH the running back has to have a NEED that we can fill. We aren't overstocked at any position and our team is young and inexperienced. The only possibility I forsee, is if a team has a player get injured in a preseason game-and they need somehing to fill a hole.

19. wonderboy24

wonderboy24 Member

isn't Musa Smith's dad a terrorist or something? i do not want him on my team.

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

And the annoying, repetitive posts about him over a year after he is gone...

BTW, squeaking out barely over 1000 yards in a season while huffing and puffing a season full of fourth quarters hardly qualifies him as a franchise back.