Studs and Duds 2022-2023 NFL season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jan 8, 2023.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Sorry I haven't done a studs and duds the past few weeks. was battling covid and didn't feel up to it. Not going to bother to do one for the miami game. Figured i'd just do the whole season instead

Studs

Saleh - Nobody is going to say he was perfect, but he's a 2nd year head coach, none of us expected playoffs, we wanted to see improvement and we got it. We went from 2 wins to 4 wins to 7 wins under saleh. every year has been better. The defense went from bottom 3 to top 5. He promised meaningful games in december and in december we were the 5 seed. we still had a playoff shot with 2 games left. He also changed the culture and made it a place players want to be. our young talent mostly got better under him and he handled the moore and QB situations well.

JD - again nobody is perfect but, he had his huge payoff after years of acquiring picks. this draft class was ridiculous. sauce was a pro bowler, wilson was fantastic and broke 1k yards as a rookie, breece was on pace for a pro bowl until the injury, clemons and mitchell looked like steals and JJ flashed in limited duty. only ruckert didn't show much. reed was a steal in FA. we still need a QB but this team is built to win for the next 3-4 years before the cap forces a talent shed

Garrett Wilson - everything I expected and more. broke the jets rookie WR record from keyshanw johnson. had 80+ catches and 1100+ yards.best WR performance we've had since marshall in 2015 and did so with a bad QB and bad o-line

Breece Hall - was on pace for 1500+ scrimmage yards and a pro bowl before the injury. likely would have been OROTY. 1st homerun threat we've had at RB in forever. the offense really went downhill without him and AVT

Quinnen Williams - pro bowl season for him. was at worst top 3 DT in the NFL this season. had 12 sacks despite missing a game and dominated against the run and took on double teams to open opportunities for other lineman. he's earned his bag this season. time to pay the man

Greg the Leg - revived his career here. was perfect under 40, over 50% at 50+ including a jets long of 60.

mosley - looked like his old self. QB'd the defense, made the pro bowl, had 150+ tackles and an INT, and sack, and fumble recovery. kinda did it all and was the leader of a top 5 defense

Sauce - already the top CB in football. shades of revis 2.0 with his cover skills. pro bowl as a rookie and likely DROTY

Reed - was a steal at 12 mil a year. was a top 10 CB this season. him and sauce are the best CB duo in the league

AVT - played everything but OC and was excellent in every spot. he's gonna anchor this line for a decade for us.

Mcgovern - I know he got a lot of hate here but he was consistent and a top 10 OC this season and we should bring him back. he also didn't miss a game

Conklin - 550+ yards is the best TE season jets have had in a while, made some really good catches along the way too after a rough start to the season

Duds

Tomlinson - made 4 straight pro bowls prior to coming here but had a rough season. was below average

Carter - looked bad this year. didn't have the same elusiveness. hopefully just a sophmore slump

Moore - was not the same WR he was as a rookie. was bottom 10 in the NFL in getting open vs man. also requested a trade mid season and got sat for a couple games as a result

Berrios - is a high paid WR4 and returner. last year was a pro bowl returner and made lots of clutch catches this year he didn't make those and had no impact as a returner

QBs - all except white. I'll give white a pass for his bad game because of the injury but he also can't stay healthy for even a few games let alone a season. he isn't the answer but has proven to be a solid backup. flacco was awful, streveler can't throw past 10 yards and zach had no accuracy. it was all just bad

MLF - way too stubborn. I know you can't abandon the run but trying to do a Hb dive 20 times a game while averaging half a yard on them is stupid. he has to do better

mann - was awful this year. was 30th in net avg and couldn't pin people inside the 10 at all.

Jets OG fan, PJ4Ever, Jojo and 12 others like this.
  2. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Looks pretty fair to me.

Jojo, mrjet80 and Jets79 like this.
  3. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Mann was underrated in terms of how bad he was and how it killed us. For a team playing close games having your punter unable to pin teams and shanking at least one a game was a huge deal. Directly led to the loss today with that terrible last punt.

papapump, PJ4Ever, stinkyB and 2 others like this.
  4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Mann was fucking atrocious this season.

5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I am on board with this assessment…this talk of firing JD and / or Saleh is asinine

we have a direction. We have a vision. We now need to fix OL and QB…yes not easy but we get even average QB play we are a playoff team

we are close I think

Jets OG fan, Jojo, Mogriffjr and 4 others like this.
  6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Stopped reading right there. I am OK for him to keep his job, but a stud?

papapump, Jets69, stinkyB and 5 others like this.
  7. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Feel like the Duds needs a lower level.

Dustbin fire

Zach Wilson
    Braden Mann

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

8. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I guess I'm not giving him enough credit, he was a pro bowler, but I wasn't impressed by Mosley.

He played a good middle linebacker this year, but I can remember more gaffs than great plays on his part this year.

Section 336 likes this.
  9. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I wasn't impressed by Conklin -- I thought Uzomah looked better every time he went in this season.

Not STUDS, but better than I expected:
    --Kwon
    --Herbig
    --Clemons
    --Quincy Williams

Did they do ANYTHING this season that suggests they can't be replaced by any given 5th round pick:
    --Solomon Thomas
    --Vinny Curry
    --Nasirildeen

Special Braxton Berrios Category:
    --Braxton Berrios.

PJ4Ever, stinkyB and Footballgod214 like this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Fake news. Laken Tomlinson has made one Pro Bowl in his NFL career.

11. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I know I disagree with many on this board, but I would put Quincy Williams in the stud category.
    Solid tackler, don’t know the exact number but was on pace for about 100 tackles this year, and consistently made a big hit/stop per game.

Big Dud - Corey Davis

12. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Closer than people seem to think. ALOT of injuries especially to the OL.

QB needs to be solved once and for all though the Jets will only go as far as their QB takes them. Even if the 2023 QB puts up average numbers.

13. mrjet80

Williams is underrated ….. not sure how much he is truly worth but at the beginning of the season I considered him very average. He’s better than that ….

IDFjet likes this.
  14. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Saleh is so far removed from being a stud. I'm actually shocked you put him there.

15. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

Close but also a longer way to go than people think. Still the worst team in their own division.

16. mrjet80

Barely - if not for that bogus call on Quincy it’s quite possible the Jets win and Buffalo is the only AFCE playoff representative.

I’m not saying the Jets are a playoff team because they are not but the difference between them, NE, and Miami is not much. They need to get their QB situation settled once and for all. That won’t be easy of course.

17. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

A good read, though I don't see how anyone from the coaching staff or JD get into the stud category though - Saleh was just about OK, the rest were awful and I don't let the fact JD got lucky in this last draft (as the draft is basically a lottery) detract from the fact that:
    - the Jets still have a terrible OL and as soon as AVT went down it all fell apart
    - the Jets have nothing at QB (the most important position on the field by a country mile) and to go into this season with Flacco as the vet when there were major question marks over ZW is just bizarre
    - many of his big money free agency signings have been bad

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Quincy’s OK. He disappears for long stretches and then has games like today where his hair is on fire. I’m not sure if the Jets move him around too much but he seems like an ideal WILL.

He should be on the roster next year but our entire linebacking corps needs to be revamped. We don’t have much in the way of any backer that makes an impact beyond four yards of the LOS.

Davis has been terrible. Cut the guy. He hasn’t caught a single ball where he isn’t wide open.

19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Saleh a Stud?
    Sorry... have to disagree.

A coach that closes out the season with six straight losses is Not a Stud.
    A coach that can't muster up a touchdown drive in three straight games is Not a Stud.
    A coach that lets players wear t-shirts celebrating the backup QB after the starter is benched is Not a Stud.
    A coach that lets players show up to games in costumes in the middle of a six game skid is Not a Stud.
    A coach that can't properly manage in-game situations is Not a Stud.
    A coach that leaves a player with 5 broken ribs on the field in an unwinnable game is Not a Stud.

#19 Acad23, Jan 8, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    papapump, stinkyB, Ralebird and 8 others like this.
  20. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Totally agree. Jumped out to me immediately. I'm not calling for him to be fired, but in no way shape or form was he a stud.

papapump, stinkyB, Ralebird and 5 others like this.