StubHub: Jets fans are the fourth most optimistic in the league

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by statjeff22, May 3, 2019.

1. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

https://stubhubpressbox.com/2019/05/02/stubhub-unveils-first-ever-fan-optimism-index/

This is mostly nonsense, of course, but people might find it interesting. Their index is based on using changes in ticket buying behavior year-over-year to obtain a fan-based prediction of team wins, and comparing that to the Vegas over/under number. The biggest lesson from this is that StubHub thinks Browns fans are crazy - the Vegas over/under for them is 9, but apparently the fans are so crazed in buying tickets this year that StubHub estimates they think the team will win 15! The Jets fans are fourth in their index (apparently acting like they think the team will win 10 games). Patriots fans must find it amusing that the other 3 AFC East teams are all in the top 7.

They haven't given any details on how they get that fan-based prediction of win totals, so I can't comment on that, but I actually know the guy behind it, Ben Alamar, who left ESPN late last year (he was their Director of Sports Analytics) to become the Head of Business Analytics at StubHub a few months ago. He knows his stuff, so I'm willing it to think it isn't completely ridiculous.

Brook! likes this.
  2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I'm willing to guess that article writer is not familiar with the opinions on this board :confused:

K'OB, Brook! and FJF like this.
  3. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

4. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I’ll take 10 wins. Hope it’s enough for a playoff birth.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Stubhub always has the inside track...yeahhh

6. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Trust me when I say this, Jet fans are one of the most loyal fan bases in the NFL. Being the fan of a successful franchise is easy. Packers, Cowboys, Steelers, Pats. Storied franchises.

Come root for the Jets, come root for the Browns.

I respect a Jets season ticket holder 10 times more than a Pats or Steelers ticket holder. So I believe this stubhub thingy.

7. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Ticket prices are astronomically higher than they were at this time last year. Part of me is happy that the fans are finally energized, but part of me liked getting great seats for cheap.

8. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

@sec314 @GordonGecko @CBG

Comments? Lol

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Don't these stat geeks know Jets fans buy tickets to boo the Jets? ;)

10. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Referring to the resale market, that is.

You can usually get individual game tickets on stubhub for at or near face value around this time, but that’s nearly impossible to find right now. One of the few years it might actually pay off to have season tickets.

11. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I think it's a combination of optimism for the team and a very good home schedule. The only games I would pass on going to is Oakland, Buffalo and Miami but since Buffalo is opening week that's a must go so only 2 of 8 home games are questionable to attend. Maybe we've finally hit rock bottom for PSL prices. If this team performs PSL's may even get back to 50 cents on the dollar ; )

Big Cat likes this.