Straight up choice, Josh Allen or Quinnen Williams?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BroadwayAaron, Apr 19, 2019.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I'm sure this has been discussed across a billion threads but this is more of a social experiment.

The most likely scenario is Murray and Bosa going 1 and 2 leaving us the choice between Josh Allen and Quinnen Williams who are the two BPA at 3. Let's say in this scenario, we have 0 trade back partners and we have to make the pick.

Who is your pick?

And here's why I ask...

We have a tendency to be a fickle fanbase with knee jerk reactions that cause outrage when someone else suggests something contrary to their opinion. I want to be happy with who we draft and I don't want log on to this website if one player over the other is going to cause a massive meltdown on this site. Basically... is this site worth coming to for a few days if we take Williams over Allen?

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Bro, embrace the faux outrage and angst this board offers. If it comes down to Williams or Allen I,personally, can’t lose. Either we take Allen and get a stud olb or we take Williams and get a stud d lineman and get to laugh at all the I quit and mac should be fired before round 2 petulant childish posts. Win/win

3. BroadwayAaron

I tend to agree in terms of win/win although I do think Allen makes ten times more sense. I'd much rather just skip the whole "that's it I'm done" bullshit this year especially since I'll be on a work trip in Austin with things to do and enjoy. But at the same time it would only make things that much better if I could log on here and partake in some celebration. Is that even allowed?

4. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

I’d be happy with bosa Allen or Williams at 3 so I’m good. Would be thrilled if we trade back a little and still got one of them

rickjet, Rockinz and AlexJETS like this.
  5. Quinnon has the higher grade bc of the production..but Allen isnt far behind, fills a bigger need & plays a position of higher impact

Allen should be the pick.But ill support Quinnon if he gets selected bc even though i have reservations,if he is the same block shedding monster he was in college the scheme doesnt matter & he’ll be a dominant force

westiedog1, FJF, Harpua and 3 others like this.
  6. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Forget it . Knee jerk reaction is king here .

I personally prefer Allen. The Jets have lacked a steady outside pass rush for over ten years now. Selecting one in this position is how you build championship teams . How many times in the past ten years have the fans complained and commiserated because there was not a blue chip edge rusher available wherever the Jets were picking in the first round? Well now there is .

I’m not saying Quinnen Williams is a bad player or even just an average player . He is a terrific inside lineman. Perhaps the next Aaron Donald. But where would this leave Leonard Williams? I know he is a FA next year but at what point do the Jets stop spinning their wheels and stop selecting “ do overs “ ? I think L. Williams is a tad under rated on this board and his stats - or lack of - reflect the lack of talent around him. Taking an outside edge guy like Allen ( or Bosa ) will elevate L. Williams play along with improving the outside pass rush which has single handedly cost the Jets games in the fourth quarter when they need a stop. And there should be enough money to resign him - Williams that is.

So to sum it up I hope and think they go outside with the selection . If not and it is Williams well I guess we will have to see what is in store for the rest of the draft particularly the third round . The outside pass rush needs to be addressed more than an inside presence .

7. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Yes I will be one of those children. Whose depression you will be getting your sick jollies from if we are to pick another DT

If he takes Williams he should be fired before round 1 concludes as well as tarred and feathered.

Taking a top DT prospect over a Top EDGE prospect when your teams position of need is more at EDGE deserves outrage.

If you take Quinnen at best you can hope that he has a really great career like fletcher Cox. Aaron Donald is an anomaly at the position, the majority of top tier DT’s like Cox average about 4-7 sacks per season across their careers. Cox for example averages 6.3.

Again that’s a fine pick if DT is a position of big need for the team and you already have a stud edge rusher. But we are not that team.

We can find good DT’s in the late rounds they are far more plentiful then good edge in the late rounds.

Mac needs to get a wake up call and this terrible idea of BPA needs to die

8. BroadwayAaron

Well I'm glad we got our first one out of the way a week early!

FJF likes this.
  9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Personally, the choice to me boils down to one thing and one thing only. Who does our Defensive coordinator think can cause the most damage and disruption to Brady and the Pats and give us th best chance to,stop the top offenses and crush the best opposing OL. I'm good with either one. I want us to take over the division once and for all. Whatever it takes.

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Just make sure you don’t hold your breathe till you get what you want.
    It never works.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't get why other's opinions affect your ability to enjoy something. So someone is upset over a draft pick, or move the Jets make. Big deal. That's their right. Even if they think Mac should be fired afterwards, if you disagree, what difference does it make what they think? Why should that affect you or your mood? Everyone is never going to agree. You might as well stop posting on any Jets fan site if everyone has to agree for you to be happy. People are either gonna be happy, unhappy or somewhere in between.

I will be very happy with Josh Allen and very unhappy with Q. Williams until he proves the Jets right and me wrong. Josh Allen would fill a huge need that we've had for 13 years, and is more versatile. To finally have the opportunity to draft an elite edge rusher and pass on that to take an interior DL would be such a typical SOJ-type move, and would be utterly stupid imo. It would be even worse to take Ed Oliver at #3 or to trade down and take him.

#11 NCJetsfan, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

I didn't say it affects my happiness. I said people get so wound up that they end up flying off the handle at anyone who suggests something contrary to their opinion. Discussion is fine, but I think you and I both know that's not possible here immediately following any trade, pick, etc.

13. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

It’s all moot. If Q is on the board I am 100 percent sure Jets will take him. I’m just preparing myself now so I can be slightly less angry and slightly less furious in my post draft Mac rants.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

I, for one, don't care that much about what Greg Williams wants or who he likes. He may not even be here next year. He may get a HC job elsewhere. I've been here for over 50 years. I'm tired of the Jets thinking they're smarter than everyone else and making stupid moves/decisions. They've needed an edge rusher for 13 years and for the most part have never had an opportunity to draft an elite edge rusher. They will this year and had better not pass on it.

15. NCJetsfan

OK, good. Thanks for the clarification. Hopefully, things can be better/different this time. I like to think that I've matured a little in my responses and actions, and hopefully others have as well. Even if not, things will blow over in a day or two.

16. mrjet80

LOL I doubt that . People are still criticizing many past Jets drafts to this day .

But I agree with everything else you say. I don’t know why gazed and confused worries about the board’s reaction to the draft. The Jets FO surely doesn’t give a hoot ....LOL

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. mrjet80

At this point the speculations and rumors only grow . Right now the rumor is the Jets will take Oliver over Q which really makes no sense .

18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

So your happy with the team Mac has put together so far? It’s 4 years under his direction and they are still spinning their wheels in mud.

Is this the beginning of another 4 year rebuild for the Jets?

I honestly don’t care who they select in the draft, I just want the team to have a winning record at the end of 2019 season.

It’s the only thing I want this team to do, just win and make the playoffs.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Take the best player that will fill a need. I don't really want Q, but I can't deny the fact that the big man can rush the passer. Out of the 2, I would pick Allen. If Q gets picked, then I will support it.

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Quinnen will be the pick.

Steady pressure up the middle shuts down the run and makes even an avg OLB look great (there's no pocket for a QB to step up into).

Remember, it was the Giants' overwhelming D-line that planted 18-0 Brady like a cherry tree in the SB. Yes, a 4-3 D-line, but the pressure that got to Brady came from the middle.

Plus, if Allen's ceiling is Quinton Couples than it's a no brainer.