Still want Josh Allen over Quinnen?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Sep 21, 2020.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Last season Allen made a lot of noise while Q stuggled to find his feet and people here lamented how Allen should have been our pick. Calling him a generational talent and big time game changer, etc.- like it was one of our worst draft choices in the last 10 years.

I agreed Allen had a decent year but kept pointing out that it was largely because he was lining up next to 2 pro bowl pass rushers which were hyper inflating his stats. He was the third most dangerous guy to worry about in that front 7. He was never double teamed and with the massive push in the middle he was often blocked by only a RB. So he gets 12 sacks in that system - good for him.

Now Cambell and Yannick are gone and Allen is in the same type of front 7 talent wise as the Jets. Since Allen and Quinnnen are in similar systems with similar talent around them it is much easier to compare them this season.

In two games both players have been on the field the same amount of snaps - 90. Here are their 2020 stats:

Quinnen Williams

4 tackles
    6 assists
    2 sacks
    1 forced fumble
    90 defensive snaps

Josh Allen

2 assists
    90 defensive snaps

Can you now see what Allens season would have been like on the Jets last year?

It makes a difference when you don't have a multiple pro bowlers occupying the pass protection. With Allen as the only pass rushing threat on the Jags DL he is pulling the great disappearing act. He is averaging 1 assist a game! I guess he needs someones hidden production to occupy a double team so he can run free again.

Allen is regressing while Quinnen is developing and improving. In fact, Quinnen should be able to keep improving for the next 3 seasons - where he will only be 24 years old. That is a huge upside.

I'm not stating Q will have a pro bowl year this season. But he is developing and taking strides. He could very easily become a pro bowler next season if he keeps working, and a pro bowler for years to come. With Q's improvement we are actually ready for an edge rusher now.

Now that these two are in the same front 7 it is much easier to compare them. We can keep following it the entire season. But baring injuries, it very likely Q is going to continue to make a much larger impact than Allen. He has more of an upside, including hidden production.

I'm tired of hearing, "It should have been Allen". As the season goes on I hope people will realize that we actually did make the right DL choice last season.

#1 ouchy, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  2. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

You’re basing this on one game when he has been a non factor for the prior 16. Cool your jets....

3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Pretty sure I laid out the logic clearly.

Beyond that Quinnen had better stats against the Bills then Allen has had his first two games. So no, not just one game.

BacktoQueens and rammagen like this.
  4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

This is a lot of cherry picking and extrapolating hypotheticals.

Based on all of the evidence we have so far Allen is a much better player than Q. I understand where you're coming from regarding surrounding talent but I disagree that it explains just how much better Allen was his first year than Q. Allen was a pro bowler and Q was invisible most games.

5. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

Edger rushers are harder to find the jets have had 5 fat dts just like Q and could get another. They havnt had a pass rushing Eder player since 2005!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was in high school !

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Quinnen Williams is in his 11th start at a position that takes longer to develop than edge rusher. Especially when you considered Allen played on a defense last year with 9 combined Pro Bowl appearances and 8 on the defensive line next to him.

Williams played with Henry Anderson and James Burgess and the almighty Neville Hewitt.

I'm confident Q is going to have a good year and you can find my post history to back that up before he had two good games. Defensive tackles usually take the pass rushing leap from year one to two.

rammagen, joe and ouchy like this.
  7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

"A position that takes longer to develop than edge."

"Defensive tackles usually take the pass rushing leap from year one to two."

Where's the evidence for these claims? I've seen these trotted out ad nauseam for all of our mediocre DT picks. We had people using the "just wait until they get help" excuse constantly until our line literally had 3 first rounders on it at the same time.

Most DT's never make a pass rushing leap actually. Guys who are consistently good at pass rushing from the interior are extremely rare. It's a big reason why the Q pick was so dumb. DT's are inherently lower upside than edge rushers except when you get a generational talent like Donald.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

1 game. 1 f'ing game the Jets lost by 20 points anyway

9. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Can we go through at least 16 games?

Glad Q finally making plays

blackssmagic likes this.
  10. DefenseWinsChampionships

Football doesn't work like that.

What are the career numbers for both players?

11. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Q made plays last year...he's finally flashing as an interior pass rusher now.

12. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I do, yes. I prefered Allen to Williams ... and still do.

Brook! likes this.
  13. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Last year I would have preferred an edge and posted that Allen made sense while simultaneously admitting i suck at picking college talent

that said, we picked Q and i see zero reason to bash the kid even if you hated the pick. Bash FO

if the kid is being a turd, not putting the work in etc. bash him -- I'm not seeing that or hearing that

I hope the kid continues to improve and turn jeers into cheers

i also hope we get some pressure on the edge

rammagen and ouchy like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

All you gotta do is ask, bro. Defensive tackles rarely put up big sack numbers. We can agree that the below were all effective pass rushers though, yes?

Jonathan Allen (1.0 sacks to 8.0 sacks)
    Kenny Clark (0.0 sacks to 4.5 sacks & back to back 6.0 sack years)
    Kawann Short (1.5 to 3.5 to 11.5)
    Jurrell Casey (2.5 to 3.5 to 11.0)
    Geno Atkins (3.0 to 7.0 to 12.5)
    Chris Jones (2.0 to 6.5 to 15.5)

ouchy and K'OB like this.
  15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

It completely explains why Allen had a better year last season and why he wouldn't have done any more than Q did if the Jet picked him. Without quality talent around him he disappears.

Its a long season. Lets see how it plays out.

#15 ouchy, Sep 21, 2020
    rammagen likes this.
  16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to watch the film.

17. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

This is me exactly.

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

All things being equal, pressure up the middle is 10x more effective than edge pressure in disrupting game plans.

Edge pressure is one of the easiest pressures to defend against, where pressure up the middle is almost indefensible.

blackssmagic likes this.
  19. DefenseWinsChampionships

Really stinks that Nick Boss went one pick before us. I wish San Fran gambled on Q...

Sarcastic. Boss is out for year.

#19 DefenseWinsChampionships, Sep 21, 2020
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That may well be, but why have the Jets been unable to do that despite focusing on supposedly stud DT's for years? Maybe to do that you also need to apply pressure from the edge at the same time, something that the Jets have NOT focused on doing during that same span.