Stick a fork in em; Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger and Philip Rivers

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Eli has been benched, Roethlisberger is done for the year with an arm injury and now Rivers has thrown three touchdowns to seven interceptions in his last two games.

Is it safe to say they're all relatively done? Ben wants to come back, while Eli and Rivers futures remain undecided. I would imagine Eli retires.

If they still want to play, but the franchise decides to move on do they end up on more playoff ready teams with unsettled QB situations? Bears, and Titans are really the only two I see that could be suitors. Rivers is from Tennessee.

Either way, it's been awesome watching all of their careers. I'll always feel bad for as great as Rivers was throughout the years, he never got to go to the dance because he couldn't bear Brady or have someone else beat Brady for him ala Roethlisberger.

Brook! and FJF like this.
  2. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

My view:

Eli will not be a Giant next year. Some team might sign him, but I can't imagine why. He clearly should retire and let them overpraise him at the events honoring him.

Rivers wants to be in San Diego. Unfortunately for him Los Angeles is as close as you can get, so he will do whatever he can to stay with the Chargers. They will probably offer a modest (less than $10 million) one-year contract to him to be a mentor for whoever they draft to replace him. If by some chance they can get an established QB like Bridgewater I have to think that he'll be gone.

Roethlisberger is the Steelers QB until further notice. From a public relations point of view they have to hope he decides to quit if his arm is shot, since they're in the same position the Giants were with Eli, caught between a rock and a hard place if he wants to keep playing. Either way, he would cost $25 million in dead cap money next year, so there is no way they're going to cut him, and they would prefer him to not retire if he has anything left. Trading him is an option, but then some other team would be in the same situation.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Roethlisberger is an asshole. He threatens retirement every year to get the contractual bonuses he wants. then he gets hurt and he immediately makes it a point to tell everyone he's not planning to retire.

the league will be better when he's gone.

I like this changing of the guard. if only Father Time would catch up to Brady

4. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I think it already has.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He is and when all the murmurs started to surface about Roethlisberger being a shitty leader and not talking with his receivers, runningbacks, etc. I wasn't entirely surprised.

He's been pretty embattled off the field with the rape allegations (yes - cleared of them), the motorcycle accident and all. He and Todd Haley also fucking hated each other in Haley's time there although I imagine a lot of people didn't like Haley.

Really an amazing player though and he's super fun to watch.

For what it's worth, Brady is starting to look tired in his older age. Ready for a break in his press conferences and what not. What more does he have to accomplish? Is there any doubt he's the best to ever do it?

6. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

He looked like a mess after that Eagles game. I've never seen that from him before.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  7. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I'm strangely hoping not, at least not totally, and that he plays on a year too long when he really has gone. If only so the Jets - and everyone else - can truly pound him.

8. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I want him to stay too long and hopefully watch the Jets pummel him into oblivion.

stinkyB and MoWilkBeast like this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Why don't more people talk about Brees? He's older than the 2004 QBs, less than a year and a half younger than Brady, and he's still killing it.

stinkyB and Biggs like this.
  10. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

*cough* Nate Kaeding *cough*

11. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

DeShaun Watson and the Texans will take over from Rivers and the Chargers as the QB/team that looks great against bad teams but shit the bed as soon as the going gets tough.

Brook! likes this.
  12. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Because he's playing in the perfect system with the perfect coach and the best WR in the game today. The backup Teddy Bridgewater went 5-0 in his absence.

Not a knock on Brees. I think he's a first ballot HOF'er.

Jets_Grinch likes this.