Stephen King Fans

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Pam, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

Stephen King Spills Beans on 'Shining' Sequel
    http://insidemovies.moviefone.com/2009/11/25/the-shining-sequel-stephen-king-news

Did Stephen King accidentally announce plans to make a sequel to 'The Shining'?

According to Torontoist, the prolific author spoke to celebrated Canadian director David Cronenberg in Toronto's Canon Theatre last night and, after reading from his new novel 'Under the Dome,' "dropped a fan bombshell on the crowd by casually describing a novel idea he began working on last summer."

It turns out King may not be finished with 'The Shining,' his classic tale about the Torrance family and their strange attachment to the Overlook Hotel immortalized on film in 1980 by Stanley Kubrick. When we last saw Danny Torrance, the young boy was recovering with Wendy Torrance and Dick Hallorann (the latter, played by Scatman Crothers, died in the film but survived in the novel). Now, King stated that Danny's reactions to the events at the Overlook and how he uses his psychic powers may be fodder for an upcoming sequel, tentatively titled 'Doctor Sleep.'

According to King, Danny would now be 40 years old -- and we hope now called Dan or Daniel -- living in upstate New York and working at a hospice for the terminally ill. However, given his unique powers, he helps his patients "make that journey" to the other side.

With the exception of 'The Dark Tower' series, King is not known for revisiting his past work. Tempering expectations a bit, King said he wasn't 100% committed to the project, telling the crowd, "Maybe if I keep talking about it I won't have to write it."

So given the iconic status of the original, how would you like to see the sequel play out? Who should take over from Kubrick? And who should play Danny, now that original actor Danny Lloyd retired from acting soon after that unforgettable role?

Oh I hope I hope he does this! I have read every King novel. This one is on my top ten. The Stand is my favorite.

2. Jam.

Jam. Banned

What'd you think of the Dark Tower? My favorite series of books ever.

3. Pam

I loved the Dark Tower series! :)

4. Jam.

Jam. Banned

Haha good taste. My favorite story is probably a short story out of Different Seasons, Apt Pupil

5. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at3OiAvUjH4[/youtube]

6. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Honey,this machine just called me an asshole

7. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

The Dark Tower series was awesome. All public transportation should be modeled after Blaine. Maybe then the commute to NY wouldn't suck so much.

8. Mr Potato Fro

Mr Potato Fro New Member

Stephen King revisits his past work CONSTANTLY. He references other books, other characters, other locations in pretty much every book he writes. As an example while telling the story of Black House, part 2 to The Talisman, we get a mention of the gunslinger and crew passing through. Yeah it's not Cujo part 2, but when all your stories and characters tie together you really don't have to do that.

FYI for you King fans, he gave the rights to JJ Abrahms to direct the Dark Tower series. No word on if it's going to be a mini series or a LOTR/ Star Wars type saga. But it's slated to begin production in 2010. I'm hoping for a trilogy on the big screen as opposed to a mini series. All his big screen movies are awesome (Cujo, 1408, Carrie, Green Mile, and The Mist). All his mini-series blow chunks (Tommyknockers, IT, The Stand, Rose Red, The new shining).

9. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

You forgot two of the best movies of all time, The Shining and The Shawkshank Redemption.

BTW

Has anyone read King's new book Under the Dome? I picked it up yesterday from the bookstore - I don't plan on starting it until next week.

10. Mr Potato Fro

Mr Potato Fro New Member

I didn't forget them, i just wasn't going to list every movie he ever did. The shining was possibly his best, i just didn't list it.

I want to get under the dome. I've pretty much read every book of his to date except for the few that i passed over due to reviews. Dolores Claiborne, Lisey's story, Geralds game, Rose Madder. I went back and read some older stuff i had missed. The long walk is one of the best books i have ever read, and one of my favorites of his. I've been eyeballing my copy of from a buick 8 for a bit, but it sounds too much like christine part 2. I also went back and read Cell because i had missed it, and it was fantastic as well. But the dark tower series minues the final installment will always be my favorites.

11. Talisman

Talisman Active Member

I'm a HUGE SK fan, got all of his works (even the comic books) and I'm not too excited to hear this BECAUSE I loved the Shining so much. This reeks of what he attempted to do with Black House (trying to make a sequel to the under appreciated "The Talisman"). The whole thing just felt too forced and never recaptured the feel of the first book. I'm afraid that's what will happen to this new story if it's indeed true. Of course, I'll still buy it and read it :)

+1 for the Dark Tower series, and here's hoping that it's destined for the big screen, not a crappy ABC mini-series

12. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

When i made my xmas list last week...I was at the book store and added two books....The Road and Under the Dome. I'm hoping to land both on Dec 25 :)

Stephen King is one of my favorite authors....I'm doing my best to collect all his movies and books.....haven't been disappointed yet......oh wait....I hated Dreamcatcher.....but the rest were decent.

13. Pam

It took me forever to get thru Buick 8. But it did pick up at the end better than I expected. Some of his books to movies I like as long as they follow the book. Even thou "The Shining" got major accolades it didn't really follow the book.

14. Jam.

Jam. Banned

Yeah, Dreamcatcher sucked.

15. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Its going on 20 years since I was a member of the Steven King "book of the month" club or what ever the hell it was called.

I read a ton of his stuff when I was 13 and 14. He kick started my love for reading that last to this day, but I quit reading him a long time ago.

The Dark Half Always stood out as a favorite of mine.

16. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

Here is a quick review of "Under the Dome" I posted on my facebook page:

Roger Ebert has often written (and I am paraphrasing) that good movies are neither too short nor too long, but rather the length that they need to be to tell the story. The same is true for books. Stephen King writes books and stories that run the gamut of lengths....but he does have a propensity for long novels....many 600+ pages. Arguably, the two books that are most popular among King fans are his two longest: "The Stand" and "It". Both topped 1000 pages. Now King's latest effort, "Under the Dome", also comes in at over 1000 pages.....but for such a long book it is incredibly readable. I found myself consistently turning off the TV or stopping other activities to pick it up.....I finished in under 2 weeks. "Under the Dome" is a story about a small town in Maine that is suddenly cut off from the rest of the world by a force field. The entire story takes place in this town....any more information would spoil the plot. "Under the Dome" contains many of the things King does best: a high-concept story, a large cast of well-drawn characters, pop-culture references, and an exciting plot. Typically, King has a sensational set-up, but has trouble with how to resolve the story (if you look up "deus ex machina", you'll probably see King's picture).....as was the case in both "The Stand" and "It". Generally speaking, "Under the Dome" succeeds better in this regard. I wasn't completely satisfied with the "secret" of the Dome, but given all the great things about the book, I can't really complain. As a word of warning, while the book is not "horror" per say, some elements are quite gruesome and there are some very graphic descriptions of violence. Read this book!!!

[​IMG]

#16 DeathByJets, Dec 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  17. Ten

Ten Active Member

18. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

A talented film-maker friend of mine is making an authorized non-profit film version of this kick-ass short story.

A Film Adaptation of "Survivor Type"

SURVIVOR TYPE is the story of Richard Pine, a man who wakes up alone on a small, deserted island in the middle of the Pacific with no food, few supplies, and no obvious means of escape. How did he get there and how far is he willing to go to survive?

If interested in learning more about the project, or even making a pledge check out his Kickstarter page . . .

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/survivortype/a-film-adaptation-of-survivor-type

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Ladyfingers. I was always a fan of King's short fiction, but after his accident I couldn't enjoy any of his novels. Even the second half of the Dark Tower series. It wasn't the same as his stuff before the accident. His writing style changed, he started trying to tie every single one of his books together, and I almost stopped reading the Dark Tower books when he inserted himself as a character.

And for some reason I am not a fan of the endings of his books, with a few exceptions. That's why he excels so well at short stories. They don't really have endings that have to tie up a bunch of ends.

#19 abyzmul, May 25, 2010
    Last edited: May 25, 2010
  20. devilonthetownhallroof

devilonthetownhallroof 2007 TGG Fantasy Baseball League Champion

You crazy Canadians. It's May.