State of the Secondary

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFanInPA, Dec 3, 2014.

1. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Obviously, the secondary was an area of great concern and was only magnified by injuries as the season progressed. Recently, some newer faces began getting extensive playing time in the secondary including Jaiquawn Jarrett, who had a monster game against Pittsburgh, and has been starting since and keeping Antonio Allen off the field and Pryor on spot duty. Marcus Williams has now started four games and I've hardly noticed him, which I take to be a good sign. I like what I've seen in terms of his tackling and coverage skills. Last week, Mike Wallace and Jarvis Landry were relatively quiet and the week before, Sammy Watkins was shut down albeit at the expense of a big game from Robert Woods. Further back, no huge games from Pittsburgh or Kansas City receivers either save for a flukey 80 yd TD hurl to Martavis Bryant... Some pretty good showings lately especially given the patchwork group.

So what do people think of guys like Marcus Williams, Jaiquawn Jarrett, Phillip Adams, Darrin Walls, and others? Have any stood out and appear to be possible pieces on team going forward? I'd be particularly interested in people's observations and thoughts on Williams and Jarrett in recent weeks.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Jets have allowed 1632 passing yards since the rout in SD. They've allowed 15 passing TD's in those 7 games. Really the pass defense hasn't been terrible it just hasn't been anywhere near good enough to carry an offense that cannot score TD's.

There isn't much the Jets could have done on defense this year to carry the misfiring offense to the playoffs. We could have won a couple more games with better defense but that side of the ball is not why the Jets suck in 2014.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Walls sucks. He gives like a ten yard cushion.

And to think of all the posters here who said he'd be good this year.

4. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

Well…we should have good depth at CB next year with decent spot duty performances out of Williams and Walls all considering, now we just need some starters!:rolleyes:

Actually we're gonna need two FA Corners, one to play starting outside, and a primary nickleback to replace stiff neck McFingerwag.

Dexter and Dee Dee will get a chance to start and prove themselves once and for all. In an ideal world they'll play awesome and stay healthy all year long as they start on both ends. but we can't trust them to be our top two, we need a veteran that can mentor these two and feasibly start in either's place.

Tramon williams tops my list, older but hardly ever missed a game for the packers, about as good as Byron Maxwell but twice as proven and less prone to injury. a two year with the soon to be 32 year old sounds good to me.

perrish cox is another option, though getting might cost a pretty penny.

No idea what the slot CB market is looking like though.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

McDougle might be the slot CB if the Jets go the FA route to get somebody to start outside. Milliner-FA outside and McDougle in the slot.

6. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I agree that on the whole the pass D isnt as bad as it has been portrayed in the media for the last 6 months. If the offense could score a bit more, it would help big time.

Having said that, 3 interceptions on the season is brutal, and thats on the secondary. The line is doing their job and getting pressure. Whether its scheme or not, the Jets should have more than 3 picks.

I'd imagine CB is addressed in free agency this offseason. I also think by the end of the year this Marcus Williams will have earned a spot next year.

Axel3419 likes this.
  7. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Free agency is a must; no more drafting cbs in the first.

This off-season we absolutely need to sign a CB and a RG. Two capable if not premier starters at those positions should be our priority, and we certainly have the cap space to do it.

Getting a FS is also important. It will allow Pryor to finally play the position he is best at.

8. TonyMaC

maybe ,I remember this staff saying Dex was exclusively an outside player, I'm sure a new coach can go another direction with him.

still, EXPERIENCE. we need it in the secondary, BAD.

9. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

The entire secondary needs to be fixed.
    Pryor gets a pass for being a Rook although it's not like he has shown anything, he can tackle, barely, but can't cover at all.

Milliner, fuck you
    Wilson, Fuck you
    Walls, Fuck you

chris5533 likes this.
  10. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I agree with this outlook. Immediate, big-time starters are needed at CB and OG. These are two positions I'd prioritize in free agency as of now, probably along with a legitimate veteran QB.

I'm going to try to keep an eye on Marcus Williams in these last four games. I'm hoping he turns out to be a find; looking like he might so far

Axel3419 likes this.
  11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If we sign a guy to start. I wouldn't feel uncomfortable with millner ,mcdougal, walls and williams and maybe a late pick battling to sort out the rest of the depth chart. Williams has looked servicable as has walls. of course we should be helped by a scheme that puts less pressure on the cb's

12. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

McDougle was a third round pick, a possible reach, and injury prone.

We should not go into next season with him penciled in as a starter.

If you want to say that between Millner AND McDougle that one of them should be able to cover one of the starting cornerback duties (or at least the nickel then sure, let's go with that.

In any event, adding a talented cornerback that can be expected to start right away is a need.

13. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

We need one CB, and I would search for lesser names than the bigger, high priced names. I think the Jets could get by with a better offense that can hide the secondary by putting more points on the board.

We also don't what type of defense we are going to have next year. Rex was known for wanting man corners even though we got away with that. But too many times we saw our defense breaking down trying to pass people off within zones too. We don't need a lock down guy really, just a solid, dependable corner.

Not to say I'm turning down a lockdown corner, but money wise, I would focus on LB and OL before throwing big money at a CB.

14. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

If Idzik is still around he wouldn't dare not sign a good FA corner after all the crap he's heard about it this year. Walls has been injured and isn't paired with an experienced guy and can't handle the responsibility but he's a good player. If Milliner returns and develops they could have a good secondary. The jury's still out on Pryor but so far he isn't a playmaker. As a matter of fact he's mediocre.

15. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I liked Marcus Williams and Phil Adams truthfully... Im still willing to let Milliner be our #1 though i really think he's going to be very good still.

16. JetDynasty

JetDynasty Active Member

The secondary sucks...if tannehill was an above average qb he would have seen the 3 or 4 times his receivers were WIDE open with no jet around them for easy touchdowns...the secondary is terrible

chris5533 likes this.
  17. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Adams can't cover but like Kyle Wilson he can do some things good enough to stick around.

18. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

It's blasphemy on these boards, but screw it. Get Revis back. Give him 13-14M over 3 years and be done with it.

He is greedy, but he gets the job done. He's a leader on the field and will be great for the development of Milliner.

19. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

Jarrett has been quiet since the Pittsburgh game, so I am not sure if he s a keeper at FS. We should keep playing him a lot for the rest of the year, to find out. Pryor has looked much better since moving to SS the last 2 games or so, let's keep him there. I think he'll make a good SS for us.

Walls and Williams are backups. Wilson should be gone. We still need to give Milliner and McDougle chances next year, hopefully those were just freak injuries, but we can't count on them now like we did last year. I think signing/drafting a CB or two might be a good idea, but only if they are young and promising. No point in bringing in old veterans like Revis/Cromartie, bring in guys who can contribute for us long-term and grow with the team as we accumulate talent. I think our main draft goal should be getting a QB, but after that, drafting a CB is as important as anything. I know a lot of people here like Cooper, but unless he s miles ahead of the best CB or Left Tackle or pass rusher, I d go for those positions instead (if a QB isn't available at that point).

If Byron Maxwell doesn't demand a huge deal, he d be a good signing at 25-26 years of age. If he wants a ton of money though, don't go all in like Tannenbaum. He isn't that good, and we are not that close to competing for anything yet. Just keep adding sound pieces.

20. TonyMaC

you mean 13-14 million a YEAR right?

13-14 mill ove 3 years would be a great price, the other sum is ALOT to bare for one guy.