State of the Jets Offensive Line (Pre-2016 season)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by wewantsapp, Feb 22, 2016.

1. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2016/2/20/11057618/jets-had-oldest-offensive-line-in-nfl-in-2015.

"It is one thing to be old. It is another to be expensive. It is another to be ineffective. Unfortunately, the Jets were all three. That is the worst possible trio in the NFL."

Its pretty much a foregone conclusion that Breno is gone. But D'Brick's game has clearly regressed & will be worse in 2016 than it was in 2015 (ranked 61st out of 82 as per PFF). Aren't we just prolonging the inevitable here by holding onto to DBF for another year? Is this organization & its fan base ready to make some bold moves sooner than later?

2. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

We really don't have other options at LT for 1, and when has anybody ever said DBF for 2?

Jay Bizniss and FJF like this.
  3. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Weird, I literally just posted about the possibility of cutting Brick. Just seems like it'd be tough. He's been awesome for the organization, class act. Just too much money for below average production

4. wewantsapp

a) because his cap # is so high, ----- and b) even if we negotiate it down (to something previously suggested in media outlets) to $5 million/yr, -- is that still a good investment of $5 million? Or would it be better to cut him outright & save $9 million?

NYJalltheway likes this.
  5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The OL has to be a priority at this point. Both of the previous 10-6 collapses to 4-12 (2005 and 2007) were because key pieces of the line aged out or were injured or just went missing for reasons unknown (Pete Kendall). The Jets current OL is in worse shape than either of those lines were before they caused a collapse.

I'm not sure what the right moves are for the Jets but standing pat is almost certainly the wrong move.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  6. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I'm just worried because losing both tackles in one offseason is really tough, but D'Brick just isnt worth it anymore. Is there anyone else out there that can be 90% of D'Brick for a lot less? If cutting D'Brick meant we can keep all of our defensive talent, I would say sign me up.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

There's bold moves, then there's reckless or stupid moves. If they cut Brick, who's gonna play LT? The only two OTs in the draft who could possibly be ready to start day 1 at LT will be long gone before the Jets pick in round 1. If they cut Brick, they'd either have to pay a king's ransom to trade up, and that takes a trading partner, or they'd be forced to try to pry Joe Thomas away from the Browns and they'd basically have to pay whatever the Browns wanted. That would be totally stupid. I wish we could cut Brick, but the reality is, we can't, not for another year. That's why I was clamoring to draft his replacement last year so that player would be hopefully be ready to play this season. Now in what should be Brick's last season, there aren't even many legit LT prospects in the draft and the best two, the Jets will have no shot at. The other 1-2 potential LTs could take a year or two to develop, if at all.

Axel3419 likes this.
  8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

How about this:

LT Taylor Decker (round one)
    LG Carpenter
    C Mangold
    RG Richie Incognito UFA Buffalo
    RT Mitchell Schwartz UFA Cleveland

9. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

Incognito wont leave Buffalo IMO.

10. NCJetsfan

Based on what I've read, Decker is not a LT prospect, so that's the first miss. Incognito? Oh hell no!!! Strike two. Schwartz may be an option for RT. You'd better hope he is, or you strike out! LOL

11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

They were because Pennington got hurt. Unless you're blaming the OL for that.

12. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Possible we restructure and move him over to RG? May be able to play another 2 years on the inside... Obviously he is too slow to play Tackle at this point as these DE's and OLB's today are all running 4.4's.

13. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I really didnt think the OL was bad last year. Running game was strong, Fitzpatrick stayed relatively clean the whole season. It wasnt amazing, but I didnt think the OL was a crazy weakness, IMO.

Having said that, it isnt getting any younger, which makes me think the wheels could fall off at any time. OL absolutely needs to be addressed in the draft.

14. wewantsapp

You're right, ---- it wasn't THAT bad. But you're also right ---- its getting old. And the big question is ==== are we getting the proper return on our $$ investment. We can't do worse than Breno at $4+something million/yr. And DBF's contract has shined a spotlight on his diminishing play which is only going to get worse.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

In a deep offensive line free agency class you could look at our tackle situation and say fuck em and scrap em. It's pretty shallow though.

At left tackle you're looking at paying Russell Okung/Cordy Glenn big money with long extensions. Donald Penn, William Beatty, Jermon Bushrod, and Ryan Harris are all 30 or older and put us in the same position as with D'Brick. At right tackle the only guys I'd consider looking at are Andre Smith whom will cost too much money entering his second contract and first big payday, and Bobby Massie from Arizona.

Kelvin Beachum is someone to look at, as he's worked to protect Ben and supposedly excels in pass protection. He's the only middle ground tackle between age and big money that we can get and I'd bet money Pittsburgh doesn't let him go.

We could be playing Russian Roulette with our tackles if we cut them too quickly.

16. NCJetsfan

I did. If you look at the rankings of our starting OL both individually and as a unit, they are in the bottom half, if not bottom third of the NFL. That's terrible. Two things saved us. One, is Gailey's offense which helps hide problems, and two is Fitz' quick decision making and quick release. We're playing a tougher schedule this season with better Ds. That's a recipe for disaster if the OL isn't upgraded.

17. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Would you mind providing the link for that? I would love to see their criteria. I dont think they were great by any stretch, but we had a QB who hardly got sacked and a top 10 rushing offense.

I'm sure the system plays a part in that, but I dont think you can have a bottom 10 OL while having the lowest sacked QB and a top 10 rushing attack.

18. NCJetsfan

We definitely need to handle the OT situation carefully. Hopefully, Brick wants to retire a Jet and is willing to take a reasonable pay cut. This should be his last season starting for the Jets however. With regards to Giacomini, you mean that there's only 2-3 RTs better than Giacomini? I respect your opinion, and don't know players on other teams, but just considering how bad Giacomini is, I find it hard to believe that there aren't more who would be better. I wouldn't care if the one the Jets sign is 30 or older if his play is better than Giacomini. At least he could improve things for this season and possibly give us another year to draft and develop a RT.

Tyler Polumbus backed up both the LT and RT spots for Denver this season. How about him? Could he not possibly be an upgrade or at least the same, but cheaper and younger? With all the FAs they have and cap issues, we could possibly sign him. In addition, I've seen it speculated that Ryan Clady might get cut by the Broncos, as he's had a lot of injury issues since signing his big contract in 2013. If he could stay healthy, he would be an upgrade. Perhaps he could be signed to an incentive-laden deal.

19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

in terms of LT, i agree with you the FA options are risky, and you can't fuck around at that position.
    hopefully we can find Brick's replacement this draft.
    if it's a swing tackle who can grow into the starting LT role.....even better.
    in meantime, maybe Brick agrees to reduce 9M salary slightly. even freeing up 2M there would help address the line overall.

Breno i would cut though. He's just not worth the 5.3 cap hit.
    thought he was a poor downgrade from Austin Howard, and has been the weak link on the line 2 years running.

between cutting Breno, and hopefully shaving Brick down a mil or two, it leaves some money to put back into the line.
    some guys i'd be interested in:

Kelechi Osemele, Ravens
    what i like most about Osemele is his versatility. he can play anywhere on the line.
    he can play RT if the draft doesn't fall our way. He's an even better RG if we do land a T in the draft, and then the rookie benefits from playing next to a really solid vet at only 26 years of age.
    will be pricey though......i'm guessing around 7.5M-8M per

Mitchell Schwartz, Browns
    4 year solid starter with the Browns at RT.
    still young player and shouldn't cost much more than Breno, while upgrading the position.
    guessing around 5.5M-6.5M per

Jeff Allen, Chiefs
    another 26 yr old, former 2nd round pick of Chiefs who has played multiple positions on the line.
    best position probably at Guard, but has played RT as well.
    another signing who could give us some depth and versatility heading into the draft.
    guessing around 4M-4.5M per

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

I wouldn't mind, but have no idea where to begin. Both the PFF ratings and the NFL rankings were given. They've been mentioned in a thread or two here in the forum. You probably can find them by searching.

No, they didn't give up many sacks, but they did give up a ton of hurries and pressures. One also has to remember that Ivory almost always got a lot of yards after initial contact. Take those yards away, and the Jets probably no longer had a top 10 rushing offense.