Starting Defense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by teamgreen, Aug 13, 2022.

1. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

Understandably the buzz re: the first preseason game was the injury of the Jets young QB1, but after watching the game mid-day today the starting defense really concerns me.

Despite it being "too early to judge" and only one preseason game, the ability of the Eagles to march down the field with ease, pick apart a porous defense, and the Jets continued inabilty to cover the TE position or the RB screen/ pass to the flat when the "1's" are on the field are very concerning. A lot of work to get to a repectable defense, let alone a top-10 defense.

twown, Jets79 and Jojo like this.
  2. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

“A monkey could run our defense” - Robert Saleh

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

And we had the patented "push the guy with the ball into the end zone for a score" on the 1st drive.

JetFanInPA and Jojo like this.
  4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Half the starting defense was held out - it’s really too early to judge the defense after the first preseason game. Plus the vanilla game plans…..

But it is a work in progress and the current talent on the LB unit leaves a lot to be desired. It’s a below average unit. The DL has a lot of talent and I think it’s a matter of playing the right bodies for the right formations/situations and the need for the DL as a whole to jell. Same with the secondary - very young.

So I think what we saw last night is a reflection on the above.

5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Did Sauce play? I didn't see his name on the stat page.

Ralebird likes this.
  6. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Yes, he played, not for very long but he played.

ouchy likes this.
  7. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Reed was out. Moseley and Alexander? Didn't seem them so I assume they were out. Not a finished product yet. So I can reserve judgement.
    The DL was all there and we got zero pressure tho. Was hoping to see ANYTHING from Q with Lawson healthy taking some pressure but looked like the same rush we've seen for years now.

LogeSection2RowJ and westiedog1 like this.
  8. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Lawson DNP, same for JFM

9. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Well I stand corrected. That gives a glimmer of hope!

10. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

pretty sure JLM, Lawson, Reed and Mosely didn’t play. Kwon played just a few snaps.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  11. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Whew! I heard our starting defense tore their ACL, but it turns out they're fine!

[​IMG]

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The defense looked to be in midseason form to me.

Letting up 1st down after 1st down but celebrating when they make every tackle

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I thought the late hit out of bounds on the first drive of the game was particularly Jetsy.

14. mrjet80

So did Nick Sirianni apparently by his reaction. LOL

Jojo and abyzmul like this.
  15. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I didn't treat this game like a playoff game, so I'm not overly concerned ;) Fact is, as I get more and more NFL seasons under my belt, the less I care about preseason games. Much of that is the emotional scars of having to buy tickets and parking for them for so many years. Been fooled too many times. More so than not, they cause me stress (injuries) and fool me to believe some players are better than they are, not the other way around. Think of all the many great second half preseason QB play over the years. Who was that guy, Ratliff? I remember thinking Matt Simms was very good. My brief takeaways from this game: Zach scared the crap out of me and has delayed our progress (Memories of Mono). I like Tyler Conklin. Breece is as advertised. We have a guy named "Wildgoose" who I wish was named "Sillygoose" and we have a 4th string QB who should be a star for the Calgary Stampeders or Toronto Argonauts. One more thing. After the dust clears we should have a good kicking game.

Noam and mrjet80 like this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Hard to get much out of the first pre season but a few things stood out to me.
    1- Two undrafted players stood out, Knight and Jackson. Both had poise and can ball. Knight might be our second kick off returner
    2- Kicking looks solid. Punter can tackle better than some of our defenders
    3- Both 4th round picks might turn out to be a steal. Clemons looks like a beast and our rookie RT is ahead of the curve
    4- Massively stupid penalty by Williams…..should have been pulled on the spot. Moves like that lose games
    5- Our rookie WR is showing some small flashes of greatness. Hall is the real deal. Perine played well
    6- Conklin is the hot ticket
    7- we have a surplus of TE that can actually catch.We also have a surplus of RB.
    8-Zach Wilson needs to play smarter and don’t let emotions cloud his judgment. He stares at receivers too much when in the pocket, and goes into a hero mode on the run to make up for a bad interception and poor read on his part.
    8- Mims is still not being given chances with the first team. He looks totally frustrated with the CS. I don’t get what’s going on there
    9- as always we start out of the gate looking like hell…..CS needs to step it up.

17. mrjet80

Good analysis.

Mims is probably gonna be traded within the month.

Clemons does look like a steal.

I know Moseley and Alexander did not play but the rest of the LBs didn’t look good at all. I really hope JD remodels this unit in the coming offseason ….

LAJet likes this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Not given a chance? Mims had an illegal procedure penalty that negated a first down followed by a horrible drop when he was playing against backups. He hasn’t earned a chance because he’s trash.

On the topic of the thread, I’m pretty disappointed that the Jets didn’t try to fix the LB/DT issues. They have some nice stories at linebacker but this team has been bad at the position since David Harris retired.

Kwon Alexander is on his fourth team in four years. Mosley was decent last year and Quincy Williams is one of those nice stories that’s realistically probably a below average player.

#18 Jonathan_Vilma, Aug 14, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
  19. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Cager has been great in camp and had a good game. But he’s 4th on the TE depth chart….

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

If this defense doesn't improve significantly over last year I'm gonna break my flat-screen.

The scheme we run is just way too soft in the middle... we only have one or two guys that can thump.
    The DL needs to get pressure or the whole thing falls apart.

Where's the upside to this scheme?... 'cause I'm not seeing it.
    We had 7 interceptions last year... the Cowboys had 26. :mad:

AndyDrums, Jojo and westiedog1 like this.