Start the Kid!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrowningNagle, May 4, 2006.

1. Z-Dog

Z-Dog New Member

Statistically speaking, QBs who sit and learn for a year are much more likely to develop into good NFL QBs.

2. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

regardless of who we start the backup QB should get playing time in blowouts. Whether it is us getting blown out or the oposition getting blownout.

3. Arizona Jet Fan

Arizona Jet Fan New Member

Chad is our QB.......will you guys just get it through your head. He is exactly the type of QB Mangini wants.........Chad would not of signed the restructured contract unless he was promised a fair chance at being the starting QB......

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Same here. We haven't even implemented an offensive system under this rookie HC and rookie OC and we're going to immediately start a rookie? That would be a recipe for disaster.

5. ohhh_yeah

ohhh_yeah New Member

i am not for kellen starting yet but what the hell are you talking about. did you watch any of his games before the injury. have you looked at his stats. he was the best qb in the country before the injury. the only reason he was not hyped is because he is not from california or texas. LOOK at his stats, they were better than his pac-10 nemesis lienart.

6. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

which he will get. but everyone knows chad isnt coming back. let it go your hoping for something that isnt there and thats his ARM strength. which in the 1st place he barely had a NFL level arm. and is coming off 2 injuries to the same arm that no qb before has cameback from when it happen to them one time. now my question too you is. why draft a qb in rd 2 if your sold on chad being your qb? Ramsey will win the starting job by default. clemens to young and chads dead arm.

#26 hydro51, May 5, 2006
    Last edited: May 5, 2006
  7. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Mangini just came from a place with the best QB in the league who could make every NFL throw, had great pocket awareness and was arguably the best player on a great team and lead his team to 3 SB. If Chad didn't have the Jets over a barrell he would have been cut outright.

8. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Starting Clemens would be a needless risk. You have to ask the question honestly, "Are we capable of a SUper Bowl run this coming season?" Answer - No. Why jeopardize a potential good QB's career when there other options that will be quite adequate given where we fall in our development for this coming season.

9. 20&out

20&out New Member

Assuming we are not going very far this season, give the all the new linemen most of the season to start to jell and then let clemensstart a couple of games at the end of the season to break him in.

10. akibud

akibud Active Member

I couldn't disagree more. That would be a disaster. Not knocking the rookies talents or abilities. We currently have 2 first round pick veterans on our roster. I didn't see where Chad was evaluated by the jets staff and written off as you have alluded to. Chad will have every chance to prove that his arm is not going to return to its mediocre level. Ramsay was never given a fair shot at proving he had staing power. Steve Spurrier's offense was offensive in the pros and therefore, it is doubtful that even Peyton Manning could have made that work. Joe Gibbs did not want Ramsey to be his QB for his own reasons. I think ramsey will surprise a lot of people. finally, noen of us know at the moment what the offensive style of play will be, we can only guess at the moment. We may actually not need a dominant QB that wins games single handedly.. Clemens should get his shot down the road, AFTER we find out that the other 2 guys can not cut it.

11. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

The same approach that was taken with Carson Palmer and Chad Pennington should be applied to Clemens. Let him sit back and learn. Let him pick Penningtons brain, considering that's the one thing that hasn't failed him. He's a great cerebral QB, and Clemens would be wise to pick his brain. He knows where all the throws are and where it's supposed to go, it's getting it there that seems to be the problem. I don't want to see him on the field this year unless Penny and Ramsey are both out for the season, and if that happens again... well you might see me jump off the top of Giants Stadium.

Ellis

12. The Mariner

The Mariner New Member

Can we maybe see the kid at least take a few snaps before we hand him the keys?

13. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

The way I see it is this... Mangini proved during the draft that he has a clear plan, and being that the Jets are loaded with quarterbacks who could potentially start, but none of which are garunteed, and with injuries still around, AND the fact that Mangini is showing that he wants competition at about every position, I think he is going to force all four QBs to compete for the job, but not all at once.

First off, Clemens will not see the field this year... he is a rookie, he is coming off an injury, and he needs to learn Schotty's offense. He has more time to learn the offense then the rest of these guys.

I think the QB job is going to be won through numerous one on one competitions, almost like a tournament. I think it will go something like this:

1) In training camp, it will be Ramsey and Bollinger battling it out. I'd say 95% of the people would think that Ramsey would win this duel, but if Mangini didn't think Bollinger had a shot then Bollinger would be gone already. Whoever loses this battle gets cut at the end of this season.

2) Whoever wins the first battle will then have to take on Chad, once Chad is recovered from injury. Even though it helped us in the short term to renegotiate Chad's contract, it hurt us long term if we don't intend to keep him. Mangini knows that Chad is one of the Jets heros at this point, and he is not going to recklessly throw him into the fire, ala Herm last year. Chad will recover at his own pace, whether that takes him until June or next year. Once Chad is ready to go, he will duel with whatever QB currently has the job.

3) Finally, in either two or three years from now, assuming things aren't rosy and bright with whatever QB is leading the team at that point, Clemens will be asked to compete with the starting QB to put pressure on the starter and to start bringing Clemens into the picture. If our starting QB doesn't start to succeed at that point, then Clemens will take the helm.

I know this is an awful lot of speculation, but I think it makes sense and it wouldn't surprise me to see Mangini employ a plan similar to this. It is necessary to keep 4 QBs on board this year due to the uncertain injury status of Chad, but by the end of the season the picture should be pretty clear. We seem to be ok now and set for the future at QB, and I think Mangini will be patient with it and follow a plan.

14. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Exactly. I am very excited about Kellen and I am sure the Jets are too, but it would be unwise to start this guy right off the bat. Like many have said in this thread, if we are eliminated from the playoffs in Decemeber, let Kellen come in and compete. (Only if he shows he is ready)

15. RookieQB

RookieQB New Member

Start the Kid...but not too early

If we invested a second round on a QB, we made an investment...as he will not be productive (he would need a pro-bowl offensive line).
    We could have waited next year and take an immediate contributor on round two, but we didn't....so i think mangini saw something in this kid.

Now, the first thing is to get Mangold and DBrick ready to be full time starter, as they will protect him from outside and inside. Then, start the kid as soon as possible for some safe plays to give him confidence.

But don't fire your weapons if he struggles, as he will probably, we must support him, even if he looses...I know fans are not patients, but the team is young, i think we'll have the same curve as the bengals...probably 8-8 this year.

Finally, i think drafting an OT, a C, and a QB the same year was the best thing to rebuild this team. i'm very happy with this move, and i think this 3 kids will bring a Lombardy to us someday...

if we could find a playmaker at TE to complement.....

[​IMG]

16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

See Browning Nagle to see a Qb who was thrown to the wolves before he was ready.. The Jets ruined his career, it would be a shame for them to do the same to Clemens..

17. LWC611

LWC611 Member

No way should the Jets start Clemens. The kid is not ready and we need to see how our O-line develops.