Star-ledger, Sanchez and Holmes Interview

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by cantwait57, Jun 17, 2012.

1. cantwait57

cantwait57 Member

Per my Sunday paper readin. Holmes has this to say about the new offense and Mark Sanchez, "it gives Sanchez options now, he doesn't have to stare down on a receiver to get him the ball. He can throw the ball wherever he wants to, based on the coverage."

Sounds like more evidence that Schotty was aiding in Sanchez staring down receivers.

Full article here: http://mobile.nj.com/advnj/pm_29222/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=NeZMc9qv

2. joejamfootball

That could be an indirect Holmes dig at Sanchez - basically blaming Sanchez staring down recievers on Schotty? Hmmmm

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

what sounds more feasable,sanchez locking in on 1 target becasue he has trouble going through his progression or schotty telling him who has to get the ball?

i think it maybe a combination of the 2,i guess we will find out in less then 3 months

4. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I read the article a short while ago. Anybody who reads it and doesn't come away with the understanding that Schotty's offense was terrible and QB and receiver unfriendly needs to take a remedial reading comprehension class.

Schotty's departure is the best thing to happen to the Jets offense in a long time.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The shots on Schotty just keep coming

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

6. MikeJetsWord

MikeJetsWord New Member

Lets hope that was the reason the offense has been bad.

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

We can speculate all we want, but the final verdict will be how well we do without Shotty and how well Shotty does without us.

My guess: Jets offense without Shotty will jump 6-8 places overall, especially in the running game, time of possession, sacks allowed, and turnovers. Passing will start out slow, but pick up nicely as the season goes on and end up with a 4-5 point jump.

8. nycarl

nycarl Active Member

I think this quote from the story says alot about last season's problems-

At times last season, players hinted they felt stuck in calls. In the Week 3 loss to Oakland, for example, the Raiders played zone coverage instead of the expected man-to-man. Afterward, Holmes called for the offense to have more freedom to adjust on the fly, saying the players “can’t be forced to continue doing the same things” when the defense is different than expected.

Asked if Sparano’s offense could help in situations like that, Holmes said last week, “No question.”

How could the OC be so stubborn and inflexible that he'd refuse to adjust to what the defense was doing? Or, even worse, maybe he didn't even have a contingency plan? Every team has to make in-game adjustments. Why couldn't/ wouldn't Schotty?

9. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I didn't like Schotty and it's weird to see so many players talk about what they couldn't do with the offense last year. Not sure if trying to spin Sparano and make this offense seem great or an actual complaint from last year.

My Schotty dislike has me hoping the offensive system was not great last year and caused a lot of problems.

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

The more sophisticated an offense, the more difficult it is to change on the fly.

When an offense is predicated on a 1000 tiny elements meant to 2nd guess, 3rd guess, 4th guess, and out guess the defense, the 'changing the play' means changing a 1000 tiny elements. Not easy to do on the fly, especially if that's not what was practiced all week.

With Sparano he'll have 3 plays....run left, run right, run up the middle. So if 'run left' is called and the D is staking the left side of the line, all Mark has to do is switch to 'run right'.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is old news though. Sanchez has been saying for a year and a half now that Schotty basically told him who to look for on each play and that his execution was off on completing the passes.

I think we'll just have to wait and see how things go here and in St Louis before we can make a real determination as to how much of the locking in was on Schotty and how much was on Sanchez.

Really locking on a receiver is like 1998 football at this point unless you have Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald out there. NFL teams are reading the defense now and then acting off of that information. Most QB's take their first look at the receiver after they've let the ball go. Broken plays and short passes are different but the medium and long range stuff is on auto-pilot at this point. QB and WR are on the same page and the defensive backs are having to guess, which is why the completion percentage keeps going up year after year. If a QB is doing things by eye, looking at the receiver, he's doing something wrong.

#11 Br4d, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  12. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Huh? Pretty sure "really locking in on a receiver" is like 1938 football. You need to give 1998 football a little more credit. If we could have gotten away with it as late as '98, Neil O'Donnell could have had a fine Jets career.