Speculation on DT V. Wilfork

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by NoodleArm, Feb 22, 2010.

1. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

I just got done reading today's MMQB and found this interesting nugget:

"But other teams will have interesting decisions with free agents -- New England with nose tackle Vince Wilfork, for instance. He hates the thought of being tagged, and the Patriots drafted two defensive tackles last year (Ron Brace and Myron Pryor) who they may feel give them adequate depth inside.

I looked into it a little and this could be an interesting situation if Wilfork goes on the block or -- in a dream scenario -- hits the waiver wire. Given the animosity between our two clubs, it seems that a trade is improbable, but it would be pretty sick for us to have Wilfork spelling Big Jenx. More realistically, CLE probably has the picks (though maybe not the rep) to make a trade for him.

In any event, its just one small tidbit in an offseason that's going to be full of 'em.

2. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Wilfork would be a UFA and we cannot sign him for the final 8 rules... so take that dream out of your head.

Plus he already said he'd like to play in Florida...

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Just got franchised.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Tampa or bust.

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

gunna have to happen on a trade now.

Just what the Pats need, more draft picks.

6. abyzmul

I think that's probably the only way the Pats would let him go to another team. Giant, dominant nose tackles are not in vast commodity. I doubt Belichick would want their first round pick this season, though. I'd bet on their 2011 first rounder.

7. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Well that speculation can end.

8. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Man that would fucking blow. 3-1st round picks in 2011? I feel nauseous just thinking abt it.

9. abyzmul

Especially considering that there will most likely be a rookie pay scale by then - so they'd be able to afford it.

10. dubagedi

dubagedi New Member

I know almost nothing about college football, but I keep hearing over and over again that this is the deepest draft for d-lineman in 10-15 years. Given that, I think there's a pretty good chance they really commit to drafting multiple potential starters to replace him, hope that Ron Brace stops sucking, and trade him. The situation doesn't look good for a few reasons.

First, he's likely pissed off because the Patriots really dicked around with him by signing him to a 6 year rookie contract and forcing him to play out the entire deal. He's also said the franchise tag being applied would be a "slap in the face". Second, from the Pats perspective there's a decent chance he won't be worth what it costs to sign him. Next season he will be 29, he's fucking enormous and already having health problems, and I think he's also become a tad overrated because he really got pushed around in a few big games this year ( totally laid down against Baltimore like everyone else, also was blown up all night down in New Orleans). I'd still be for trying to negotiate with him, but it seems likely that he will want to much and will be traded come April.

11. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

You know your Belichick. :wink:

My guess is that the Patriots hold him to the tag this season and then just let him walk in 2011.