Something magical happened at Madison Square Garden 50 years ago today

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by statjeff22, May 8, 2020.

1. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

https://www.nba.com/history/top-moments/1970-willis-reed-knicks-finals

May 8, 1970, the day the Knicks won their first NBA championship. The Knicks led by 27 at the half, and cruised home, winning 113-99. Everybody remembers Willis Reed, with his torn thigh muscle, limping out just as warmups ended, with the crowd going crazy. He hit the first two shots with baby jumpers where he might have gotten 1 mm off the ground, and the crowd went truly bonkers. Lots of people remember the absolutely incredible game Clyde Frazier had: 36 points on 12/17 from the field and 12/12 from the free throw line, 7 rebounds, and 19 assists. Relatively few people remember that the other three starters (Dick Barnett, Bill Bradley, and Dave DeBusschere) also had excellent games, scoring 21, 17, and 18 points, respectively, with my all-time favorite athlete DeBusschere (he's where the 22 in my user name comes from) also grabbing 17 rebounds.

Who saw it happen? It was on national TV, but in New York, hardly anyone, because the game was blacked out locally (if you lived out in northern Suffolk you could pick up Channel 8 from New Haven, but it wasn't shown on Channel 7 in New York until 11:30 that night on tape delay). There was the 19,500 paid attendance in MSG, a few closed circuit locations, and there were people in bars that had Manhattan Cable TV listening to the call by Marty Glickman. Most of us were like my parents and me, who listened to the electric call by Marv Albert on WHN.

This, of course completed the amazing 16-month run for New York sports, with the Jets, then the Mets, and then the Knicks each winning their first championship. It seems like so long ago, and yet at the same time it feels like it was yesterday.

Royal Tee, Br4d and Brook! like this.
  2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Awesome post Jeff. What I wouldn't give for such a run or NY sports championships. I am glad you lived those days. :)

3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Jets, Mets and Knicks all winning at the same time. That’s like one sign of the apocalypse.

4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I watched it on close circuit in the felt forum now known as the Hulu Theater. Couldn't afford or get tickets to see it inside the arena. Next best thing.

joe likes this.
  5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm fairly sure it was the Amazin' Mets that finally convinced my parents to get a TV. Maybe it was Gilligan's Island going into syndication.

Not sure...