Something Interesting to Watch This Season

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Rockefella, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Rex Ryan vs Rob Ryan Defensive Performances this season

I'm wondering what results the twin brothers have with their similar styles but in a reverse aspect of talent:

Rex made the Jets defense elite with a premier cornerback in Revis and a lacking pass rush while Rob will try to do the same with a premier pass rusher in Demarcus Ware but a porous secondary.

Yes I know Rex is a head coach and not a Defensive Coordinator.

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

It might be interesting if Rex Ryan still ran the defense.

Oh, now I see you put that in as your last line. I guess you remembered that too.

3. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

it will still be interesting to see where they end up.

Everything said, Rob has Demarcus Ware, which gives him a significant leg up in the turnover department. Ware's pressure (coming from everywhere as we saw sunday) is going to lead to a shit ton of turnovers.

While Rex has Revis, who in my opinion is better at his job than D-Ware is at his. Revis however, only takes away half the field. A good/smart QB will just not throw that way. Which has a gigantic impact on the opposing offense, but it won't cause many forced throws and turnovers caused by Revis.

So I think the Jets have the better defense in terms of yardage allowed, 3 and outs forced and scoring defense. But I expect Dallas will have more sacks and TO's forced.

4. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Rex is the architect of the defense. Pettine is just the facilities manager.

5. Trifco

Trifco New Member

[​IMG]

6. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Revis doesn't take away half the field. Revis takes the other teams #1 WR completely out of the game. In my opinion that is a completely different concept, he saves 1 DB to double team someone else or frees him up to blitz.

Revis for lack of a better term poses as an 12th player on the defense. He allows Rex a ton of flexibility.

On topic:

For all the kudo's Rob has gotten, I do not think he has had near the success that Rex has had as a defensive coordinator. That could be a function of their respective situations as Rob has not always had an ideal one. Afterall, he worked 5 years for the crypt keeper that shits his pants and another for a lame duck coach with little talent.

On the other hand Rex has had ideal situations. Baltimore had a top notch GM and talent and he has the same with the Jets. That said even when Rex has had his stars injured,the fall off isn't bad and I do not think he has ever had a defense that was not in the top 10, while the same can not be said for Rob.

7. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

Rex is 5-0 against his underachieving brother in head to head NFL games.

8. 624

624 Banned

This doesn't really have to do with this but it's on the Rob/Rex subject. Their defense's have similarities but they are different too. It seems like a lot of people just assume they are carbon copies of each other in defense and can relate perfectly in that aspect.

9. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Actually, that is a good point and one I should have made in the comparison. Their defense's are not a carbon copy.