Someone Please Explain How the 2020 Season will Work.....

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Falco21, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

14 Marlins players now tested positive. There is an outbreak in their clubhouse. They just cancelled their home opener.

How the fuck, in a contact sport, is this going to work?

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I don't think it is gonna work. Maybe they move football to the spring or cancel it all together. I'll be surprised if I'm watching Jets football in the fall

3. Falco21

Now the Phillies Yankees game is cancelled.

Apparently many Phillies staff and players came in contact with the Marlins.

What a mess

4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

alleycat9 likes this.
  5. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

The only way it can work is that each roster and staff isolate in “bubbles” where movements are restricted. This would need to start several weeks before the season opener.

Being a contact sport is not a major issue. The number of staff and players related to each team is a major issue. It just takes one employee to step out of line and the team has to postpone a football game.

alleycat9 and Noam like this.
  6. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Is anything ever going back to any semblance of normalcy? Between people being completely unprecautionary to people being ridiculously over precautionary, I've had it. Wearing my mask as REQUIRED as always, but it's gotten to the point that even when I see a commercial about anything to do with COVID-19 I flick the channel and settle for a horrid and excruciatingly long ASPCA commercial just to get away from it. I'm ambivalent and borderline indifferent in theory but not in practice. OK, I'm long past giving a shit in theory but not in practice.

7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

4 players from the Pats have opted out for the 2020 season

Falco21 likes this.
  8. Falco21

Was just going to post this.

This season is screwed

9. dawinner127

Brandon Bolden also out for the Pats. That makes it 5 players. These guys up in NE are really all in on the Tank for Trevor huh?

10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The league did develop plastic shields to be worn on helmets which they say protects against droplets but many players refuse to wear them. The bigger problem is lifestyle and players exposing themselves to the virus outside the building. With a 100 players, coaches and team personnel it seems inevitable that someone will get the virus and bring it in. The successful teams will be the ones that buy in to the argument of being safe, not taking unnecessary risks and limiting their outside contacts for themselves and their family. The potential is there for teams to insulate themselves and greatly minimize the risk but everyone has to buy in. In our country a small minority of the population are not buying in and infecting the rest of us while the rest of the world has been able to minimize the virus. It can be done but it takes everyone.

11. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Pats fans will be placing an asterisk on the next SB champs without any trace of irony.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It figures that we have our first competitive roster in 5 years and the first that could use a season to build a successful multi-year run up in 10 years and the seasons going to be canceled.

NCJetsfan and Falco21 like this.
  13. dawinner127

If I'm thinking about the same face shields that you are talking about I think they actually look decent as well. If that is what gets them to play then mandate it.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

There is a pic in this article of them.

[​IMG]

dawinner127 likes this.
  15. Falco21

Even if it is mandated, that will not stop the spread.

The issue is as stated above, you can not control how these guys move outside of the practice facility and game day. They may contract the virus from someone outside of football and pass it to their teammates or coaches in the locker room. A simple face mask is not going to stop the spread of a virus in a full contact sport.

And even if these are mandated, that is not going to stop players, like the 6 on New England, to opt out. Hell, if I were in their shoes, I personally would opt out as well. Why risk getting myself sick and coming home to my family and getting them sick to play football for a year? I would take the $350k, or whatever exact number it is, and stay home. It sucks, but I get it

16. Jonathan_Vilma

17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Looks more and more like there won't be a season.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  18. dawinner127

Heard this one the radio this morning and I can't source it because I don't remember who actually said it, but it was a decent point IMO. Yes, NFL is going to have way more people than the MLB, but they are also only traveling 8x a year vs 20 for an MLB team.

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Chiefs O-lineman Laurent Duvernay-Tardif is a medical doctor, and he opted out.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Both leagues had the absolute wrong idea to just try to proceed as normal. The NBA has the right idea with the bubble, even though they chose the next hotspot.

The NFL is much more difficult logistically to do that because of the fact that all games are played on the same 2-3 days and it's harder to find big groupings of football fields together that are also isolated.

But the fact that they thought they'd just do business as usual with some guys on the masks wearing the sidelines is so irresponsible. You're talking about one of the most profitable and powerful entities in the world and they didn't come up with anything better than less preseason games?

alleycat9 likes this.