Some Positive Stuff for the bye week

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Sep 24, 2019.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

It's too early to throw in the towel. Most people here didn't think we were gonna make the playoffs anyway. Yeah we are 0-3 but we knew our 1st half was brutal. most people here predicted we'd be 2-6 for the 1st half of the season which is still more then doable. We haven't been derailed from anything expected. On top of that we got hit hard with the injury bug. last week all 4 of our starting LBers were out (jenkins, mosely, williamson injured, copeland suspended) Herndon is out (suspension until week 6) Sam got mono and missed 2 games. Enunwa went out week 1 for the season with a neck injury. Q williams the 3rd overall pick got hurt after 3 quarters and hasn't returned yet. Even our back-up QB only lasted less then half a game before getting hurt for the season. No team missing their entire LBer group, their top 3 draft pick rookie, their top 2 QBs, their WR2, their TE1 is going to perform well.

With that said by week 6 (and hopefully week 5 for many) we should have most of them back. Jenkins, mosely, herndon, copeland, Q williams, and of course sam. Hewitt and Cashman have played great at ILB stepping in and have made williamson expendable this coming offseason to save money. hairston a CB who we traded a 6th rounder for has earned a starting job and played well. Poole has played really well too as a FA signing. We are getting good production out of young players we didn't expect which is what you want to see out of a young rebuilding team. Bell and crowder have looked worth every penny so far, as did mosely before the injury and he will be back soon. Maye is healthy and looking beastly and adams is being adams and looks like another year as a 1st team AP for him. Darnold and adams have both said after the bye it's going to get turned around. The team hasn't quit or given up and if we finish with 8 wins sure it's no playoffs but it's what we expected. Our 2nd half of the season is really weak too. It's going to be a fun ride down the stretch

Adams made the PFF team of the week with a 93.8 grade
    [​IMG]

The Defense is looking good despite all the injuries. They lead the league with 3 non-offensive TDs,Two pick 6s and muffed punt recovery in end zone.

The jets have 8 defensive players graded 70+ by PFF so far this season

Jamal Adams: 82.9

Neville Hewitt: 71.5

Jordan Jenkins: 79.1

Marcus Maye: 75.0

Steve McLendon: 81.5

Rontez Miles: 74.5

C.J. Mosley: 81.0

Brian Poole: 83.3

Here is where some players rank in the NFL per PFF

Mccledon ranked 13th among DTs (3rd best against the run)

Jenkins is ranked 14th among edge rushers

Our 3 MLBs have been great. Mosley (5th), Hewitt (19th) and Cashman (37)

Adams (3) and Maye (12) are both amazing

Brian Poole is the #3 ranked CB

Hairston ranks as a mid tier CB2 (41)

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Excellent post. I may be mistaken, but I thought it was Shepherd or Copeland who got 6 games and Herndon only got 4.

LAJet and GasedAndConfused like this.
  3. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Shappard 6 Herndon 4

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  4. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Good post.

I am not surprised we are losing given the injuries etc - for me the biggest concern (outside of coaching) is the state of the O-Line - regardless of injuries there is barely a starter amongst them and that is going to take a couple of offseasons to remedy and without it getting sorted the team is going to struggle regardless of who comes back.

As you were quoting PFF in terms of the Offensive Line - "The Jets don’t have a single starter currently grading over 60.0 overall and already have committed 12 penalties so far this season."

Mr mittens and GasedAndConfused like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

herndon and copeland 4, shepard 6. I didn't mention shepard cause he isn't a starter and really wasn't expected to have any impact on the team and was jsut a depth guy who barely made the cut. not quite the same as missing herndon or copeland

6. GasedAndConfused

yeah our o-line is trash. no if ands or buts about it. You can't blame that on gase or JD yet really with the only exception that kalil should be benched. harrison was better. this offseason should be all about improving the o-line. we have edoga waiting in the wings and he should start somewhere next offseason. likely RT. it's a great draft for LTs as well. we can get a franchise 10 year LT in the 1st round easily. probably like 3 of them in this draft coming up. osemele is fine and I can take 1 more year of winters at RG or maybe lewis/compton win his spot to save money which means C is the big concern. hopefully we can find one or draft one in the 2nd/3rd round. I have to look at possible Cs in the draft I fully expect to see 3-4 new starters on the o-line next offseason. CB/Edge probably won't be addressed but I like the edge we have right now in rotation with jenkins, langi, basham, and copeland coming back. CB is a bigger need IMO then edge. look at the broncos. 2 elite edge rushers (von miller and chubb) and 0 sacks as a team

Sam Hammer and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I like that Hewitt kid.

8. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

A competent offense and this team will win games. Sucks that the Jets are wasting the defenses efforts so far.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The Jets are the football version of the Mets. Several very talented players but little depth. So if everything breaks right, the team can contend for a wild card (which the Mets did this year and nearly succeeded). But unlike deeper teams (like the Yankees who have been way unluckier than the Mets yet still won 100+ games), a spree of injuries leads to a dumpster fire.

PennyRoyal10 likes this.
  10. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

I believe your assessment points out a very rosy picture for the defense. If I could address the offense and the supporting cast surrounding the beloved QB, I see some serious thorns on the rose bush.

The money we are spending on Bell would give us possibly two all-pro OL! If we want to get Gase out of the Dazed situation, this is what I would like to see the direction of the Jets offense.

I would like to see some more studs on the offensive line and a deep bench in that area. To improve blocking even further, how about a Tight end that can block or a badass full back?

We need a running game and a blocking scheme that allows Sam to grow and excel at the QB position. Do any of you see an environment for Sam that does not include running for his life and having his bell rung?

11. GasedAndConfused

Obviously yes the o-line is a major issue but bells money ins't. no way you get 2 all pro o-lineman for the price of 1 bell. bell is only making 300k more then osemele who is a former all pro guard which is the lowest paid position on the o-line. There are currently 12 LTs in the NFL that make as much as, or more then bell and all 12 aren't all pro players. getting rid of bell would afford 1 solid LT not 2 all pro lineman.

FlaJet likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, the environment that protects Sam doesn't exist at the moment. That's why I think the OL has to be the top priority for Douglas in FA and the draft in 2020, and I believe it will be. It's such a dire situation, that I wouldn't be upset if Douglas used every single draft pick on OL. I'd rather he sign 1-2 OL in FA (along with a CB and WR), then use three of his top four draft picks on OL, and the other pick on an edge rusher in there somewhere. I don't really care what he does with the 5th round pick as long as he gets someone who can contribute somewhere as depth. At a minimum, we need a new LT and C next season. We really need a whole new OL, but that's pretty much impossible in one offseason, and Osemele might be still effective if we used a man-to-man blocking scheme rather than the zone scheme. The problem is that he has a huge cap hit (over $11 million next season) and Winters' cap hit is either $6.5 or $7.5 million). Since we have so many FAs of our own, Douglas may need to cut both or perhaps sign Osemele to an extension if he can significantly reduce the cap hit, in order to get the cap space to be able to sign some FAs that can help us.

13. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

One all pro lineman would cost more per year than Bell in Free agency.

GasedAndConfused and FlaJet like this.
  14. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

What I meant to say is Probowl Offensive lineman. But since I mistakenly said All-Pro Lineman, I hope we can agree at 13.125 million (Bell's salary) you can definitely sign one All-Pro.

Two All Pro Lineman Quenton Nelson (5.97 million) and Jason Kelce (8.167 million) would put you there.

My point is that the money would be better spent at Offensive Lineman, instead of a running back.

15. GasedAndConfused

pro bowl, all pro doesn't matter. you still can't. you could get 1 for bell not 2. there are 10 lineman making more per year then bell. If we split up his 13 mil (say 7 mil to be generous) and want 2 lineman that gives us zac fulton and billy turner. Nelson doens't count. he's on a rookie deal only way to have a pro bowl lineman and not pay over 10mil/year is on a rookie deal. in other words you need to draft them you can't sign them. as far as kecle goes, he's a rare underpaid player. he's also 31 and on the back end of his career and seems he took less to stay in philly. He also signed a 6 year deal back in 2014 which is why his numbers are so low. it was his value back in 2014 not his value now. salaries have gone up a lot in the past 5 years. he was signed through this year and next year. He restructured his deal for a small raise to help the eagles with cap room basically. what you are pitching isn't realistic.

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Nelson is on his rookie deal, no way he will sign for anything close to that if shakes loose from Indy.
    He probably be in the 10 mil range as a free agent.

17. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Can’t really use injuries as an excuse for losing or what will happen the next few games. All teams deal with it. But it is however not a bad thing what they are going through as other players are or have to learn to step up. Cashman and Hairston have been solid.

18. GasedAndConfused

by the time he's a FA off his rookie deal and if the cap keeps trending up as it is. he'll be looking at 15mil a year if not more. last yeah zach martin got 14mil a year and norwell got 13.3 mil a year. both OGs.

19. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Yawn. I'm kidding, I'm kidding! All I can do is laugh at this point, though. It's kind of like your house falls down but the chimney is still standing so you go, "Well, at least we can use it as a chiminea! Let's roast marshamallows and tell scary stories around the fire! . . . Wait, do we have insurance?"

20. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Is Shappard related to Matt Lineart? ; )

jonnyd likes this.