So you don't believe in Climate Change??

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Sep 5, 2021.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2021/08/us/colorado-river-water-shortage/

If you've ever been out that way (Hoover Dam), this will shock you. Lake Meade is almost a pond now and no, its not as if this happens yearly either. At least not in a human time scale as it could have happened millennia ago but no one was around except perhaps a passing Mammoth.

Don't believe in Climate Change? If Sandy and Ida didn't convince you, just look at all the weather records being set as every year is hotter than the one before it. Storms are far more damaging than ever before and sea levels are indeed rising. Greenland is actually becoming green.. Do you really need more convincing?

NYJetsO12 and barfolomew like this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah this isn't going to get political at all.

stinkyB, Leicester Jet and Cman68 like this.
  3. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Again it's just a matter of if you accept science or not. Just like the covid vaccine, obesity, lead pollution. Either all these things are real or not. Science isn't a cafeteria, you can't pick and choose. It's about processes that lead to the conclusions. Do you accept those processes or not? Not political about it,

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The majority of people who died in Pompeii refused to leave and thought it was not a big deal.

Like I have said before and will say it again, it’s human nature to avoid the truth even though it’s in front of them, acknowledging something that’s not in line with what people believe is very tough for individuals.

Growing up I remember my dad telling me, take care of your business and stay out of others people’s business.

Cman, at this point I wouldn’t even bother worrying yourself with this stuff, enjoy your life, fishing, Jets and whatever you and your woman want to do.

No one is changing their minds on things that are entrenched in their hearts.

stinkyB, Cman68 and barfolomew like this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

As long as I can get out on the ocean and catch fish, I'm good. I love the outdoors though and hate to see it destroyed in slow motion due to ignorance and greed.

stinkyB and Red Menace like this.
  6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

My one and only comment.....

I believe in historical climate change on a scientific basis but NOT the political basis.....that unfortunately gets the most attention.

Leicester Jet, RochesterJet and FJF like this.
  7. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Surely there is no one that thinks climate change isn't happening anymore? I mean, you can argue about the extent to which is a natural as opposed to man made phenomenon, you can argue about what can or should be done about it. You can argue about the impacts on society and the financial markets, but to argue that there hasn't been a clear and obvious change in climate, weather pattern and the frequency and severity of extreme weather events in the last 50 years seems beyond ludicrous. It's very noticeable and is accelerating.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

My issue isn't necessarily that climate change seems to be a reality. My issue is deferring all of the burden of fixing it solely onto the middle class without mitigating what the political elite do with their private jets that far outweigh my carbon footprint and many others.

Not to mention, if China doesn't get on board, the world is doomed anyway. They pollute about the same as the next four on the top five list combined with no intentions on changing.

And realistically oil and petroleum are not going anywhere. Until the resource is extinct, they will always be the basis for the backup energy sources for anything that's green powered.

So what can we do? Yeah, definitely do our best to reduce our own footprint, move towards electric vehicles and green energy in as economically feasible of a way as you can afford. If you want to pound the drum about this being an issue you better damn sure have solar panels on your house and electric vehicles or extremely economical gas powered vehicles ala Prius' and such. It falls on deaf ears when the people driving pickup trucks that aren't labor contractors are preaching about climate change.

FYI - sorry. This is a political thread no matter how you want to spin it.

#8 Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 5, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
  9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Climate change is natural and cyclical. What was recently called global warming and now referred to as climate change is of a relatively short term. How much human activity is responsible is debatable; how much human activity can change it is even more uncertain.

"At least five major ice ages have occurred throughout Earth's history: the earliest was over 2 billion years ago, and the most recent one began approximately 3 million years ago and continues today (yes, we live in an ice age!). Currently, we are in a warm interglacial that began about 11,000 years ago."

Glad You Asked: Ice Ages – What are they and what causes them? – Utah Geological Survey

barfolomew likes this.
  10. Ralebird

From those who choose to look at the situation through a political prism.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Whether climate change is real or not likely wouldn't be political if the world wasn't deeply divided as to how to rally almost 8 billion people to change their lives to affect change. And make it affordable for them to do so.

stinkyB likes this.
  12. Ralebird

If we're in Earth's fifth or sixth ice age there's no doubt climate change is real. How can that be political unless some have a partisan reason to deny climate has been changing for four and a half billion years? Those poor lost dinosaurs predated politics - maybe they were lucky after all.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

You're being purposely obtuse as you usually are by ignoring the obvious political aspects of this. Is it discussed at length during political debates or not.

14. Ralebird

Just because you don't understand what I'm saying does not make me in the slightest way obtuse. Just as Covid is a scientific problem, climate change is also. Neither subject is in any way political, a fact that cannot be changed by partisan buffoons of every stripe who attempt to use them as divisive wedges for their own gain. Why any of us are willing to allow such nonsense rather than calling them out on it and demanding they simply do what they were elected to do is beyond me.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

How to handle Covid and climate change is a political issue. It's not that hard to understand but you generally do pick one silly little thing about a subject to argue and defend so I'm not surprised you're going down a path like this.

16. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Republicans and their guns ruin the glaciers!!!

17. Ralebird

No. They are scientific issues that never should be given a political slant.

People who defend the politicians who turn such things into political issues are as much to blame as those politicians themselves and the result is delay after delay in addressing issues that need to be addressed. Eventually they do get addressed at a much higher cost both monetarily and sociologically. Perhaps you and many here are simply too young to remember the days when bipartisanship was used to deal with such issues for the betterment of all of us rather than to create divisiveness that one party or the other believes serves their selfish purposes and the rest of us be damned. I don't accept it; your mileage may vary.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The fact that global climate change has been wiping the slate clean over and over again since this planet came into existence probably means that we are spinning our wheels trying to slow it down by a fraction of a fraction when we probably should be pouring all of our resources into surviving the eventuality of the planet doing again what it has been doing for billions of years.

Electric dragsters are pretty fucking cool though.

#18 abyzmul, Sep 5, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    Jonathan_Vilma and FJF like this.
  19. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

Thanks god we have California to show the world how to deal with CC!

20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The problem with this country is that almost 50 per cent of Americans believe they know more about a virus than Doctors, more about a Pandemic than the CDC and Dr Fauci, that if kids wear masks to school it "child abuse", more about climate change than the entire scientific community, more about whether Elections and Votes are counted fairly than the departments or Companies that have been doing it for decades, more people who believe that God is on their side when it comes to deciding on Abortion , more people who believe that only White lives matter or that one race should not "be replaced" by others

And we can thank Trump for opening the door on all this garbage