So Which Draft Pick/Free Agent You Following In Training Camp

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Aug 13, 2020.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

1) Of course Mount Becton. To see if we have a LT for the next decade
    2) I'm interested also in UDFA WR Cager. Has great size and we are thin at that position.
    3) Ashtyn Davis and Jabari Zuniga. Davis because of the Adams trade. Zuniga because this is a position the Jets have lacked for over a decade. Hope he can be a John Abraham for us.

Coming back from injury Chris Herdon. Hope he is healthy and can give Darnold another weapon.

barfolomew, Pepsiguy5 and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Becton
    Mims
    Zuniga
    Hall
    I want to see the top 5 positions be answered going into next offseason with a boatload of picks and cap space.

3. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Becton is the most interesting. Will he be a monster in the NFL like he was in college. Will he improve in pass protection. Will he be our franchise LT. He definitely has the tools & the mindset to grow into the roll. Question is how long will it take for him to develope.
    My favorite player to follow this year is Mims. He was the 13th WR taken, he has a huge chip on his shoulder . I already have my Mims jersey. Undrafted FA to follow is Huff, he could be this year's diamond in the rough.

4. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

George Fant.
    Was shocked by this pickup. I hope I’m 100% wrong as it will mean nothing but good things for Sam Darnold.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  5. Dfaninpeace

Dfaninpeace Member

Imo one of the best Undrafted players in the league this year will be Lawrence Cager.

boozer32 likes this.
  6. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Braden Mann. I love me a good punter, we see a lot of them.

boozer32, Pepsiguy5, joe and 2 others like this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I will follow many very closely, but selfishly for the draft choice Mims is my guy. Free agent, well Perriman. I wont both of this guys to set the WR corps on fire and make Sam take the next major step. Two reasons, first, obviously is a position of criticality that has been ignored for years by previous GMs, and I do emphasize previous GMs. Second, to-alleviate, in some measure, the suffering of most Jet fans with long unhappy memories like myself, who bemoan years of pathetic drafts completely disregarding offensive power in the WR core. It would be a massive confidence booster for this team.

8. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

The new punter.

HomeoftheJets and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Davis, Hall and Huff

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

@jetophile , I’m quoting myself
    mims hamstring dnp
    Becton beat by Q for a tfl
    Zuniga Quad dnp
    Hall COVID list.
    Day 1 starting out glowingly.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Pierre Desir also missed with a hamstring injury.

12. NCJetsfan

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2020/...son-sam-darnold-impressed-rookie-denzel-mims/

Jets coaches, Sam Darnold impressed with rookie WR Denzel Mims
    Sam Neumann
    August 13, 2020 10:37 am ET

Denzel Mims has made an impression on Jets coaches and Sam Darnold alike, however, they understand the limitations that come with a rookie who didn’t get a normal offseason or a minicamp.

“It’s always tough for rookies coming in, especially at that position,” Adam Gase said of Mims on Wednesday. “It’s a lot of moving parts, especially not having a spring and just recently being on the field… I can tell he likes being on the field, he likes being able to do it physically, instead of just sitting in front of a playbook.”

Gase admitted that there’s definitely a challenge for receivers transitioning from college to the pros. Especially for Mims, who has plenty of room to grow as a route runner. Still, Mims’ contested catch ability, blended with his ball skills, catch radius and speed, make him the perfect candidate to develop into a No. 1 receiver in the NFL.

“He’s a very big dude, big receiver, very fast as well and explosive,” Darnold said. “He can get in and out of cuts. Whenever you have a big dude who can get in and out of cuts and he’s fast like that, it’s rare.”

Although Mims fell into the Jets’ lap in the second round of April’s draft, he was still among one of the top wide receivers in the country during his time at Baylor. Mims finished in the top five among FBS wideouts in receiving yards, catches of at least 15 yards and touchdowns from 2017-19, according to Michael Nania.

While those results at the next level aren’t going to come right away for the rookie receiver, he’s already shown Jets wide receiver coach Shawn Jefferson what he’s capable of during the team’s virtual meetings.

“As we started the virtual meetings, I started giving them tests and all the tests were based on a point system, so it was competitive among the group,” Jefferson told the team website. “I learned he’s a very competitive guy. He picks up things quite well and his self-awareness is intact. Every time I give a test on a certain thing and he didn’t get it, he’s like, ‘Coach, let’s run that test back.’ He wants to take it over again and run it back. That tells me he’s going to work hard and if he doesn’t get it, he’s going to put the time in to get it. I’m certainly glad to have him. He adds another dimension to our offense as well.”

Penciled in as the team’s No. 2 wide receiver, Mims’ rookie campaign likely won’t come without growing pains. Still, he should be able to come in and have a major impact on New York’s offense considering his work ethic and competitiveness.

Pepsiguy5 and Leicester Jet like this.
  13. boozer32

I like Huff also. Just wish he were a feww inches taller. But he can get after people for sure.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Zuniga for me. If Williams can unlock his potential he will be a monster. I don't know if I've ever seen another player get off of the snap as fast as he does.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm interested to see what happens with McGovern/Van Roten and whomever wins the other guard spot. Interior offensive line has been a black hole for a couple years and when Le'Veon was at his best was when the Steelers ran a lot of inside zone.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Honestly, I am looking at Huff and Zuniga. We have sucked at pass rushing for freaking years. I am not looking for 21 sacks, but damn can someone get 10-12?

17. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Wide Receiver is literally the hardest position to be a rookie at in the NFL isn't it? Is it because the routes and plans are really that more complicated than college or is it because the NFL secondary guys are so incredibly good that the routes need to be executed with exact timing and precision to have any chance of working and that takes time/experience/dedication for most players to achieve?

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Can't wait to follow Yannick. Wanna see if he can plant Sam like a flag pole on top of Mount Becton.

19. NCJetsfan

I'm not sure that it's the hardest, but it's certainly one of the hardest. I'd definitely put QB ahead of it, maybe 3-4 OLB, and and maybe even CB, or at least on par with it.

I think there are a number of factors that make it so difficult. One, is that in general, college offenses are easier, more basic, while NFL offense are more complex. I think that creates problems for some WRs who may have supreme physical talents, but who are more limited mentally. Two, is that a lot of WRs come into the NFL with a limited route tree and/or are not very precise in their route running. They didn't have to be in college to be successful. In the NFL, they often have to learn the full route tree and work to refine their route running to make sharper cuts, not round them off. In addition, they have to learn to vary their speeds, and have to learn how to defeat press coverage to get off the LOS. On a number of teams WRs may have to learn the X, Y and Z receiver positions in order to stick or get a chance to play. NFL defenses are much more complex as well, and coverages are disguised. I could be mistaken, but I think for the most part, in college, WRs can run a sloppy route, have a limited route tree, and may not even have to read the D and adjust their routes, and they can be very successful on their speed, quickness, or size/strength alone. That isn't the case in the NFL. As you said, timing becomes much more important as some routes are timing routes demanding precise timing as the QB throws to a spot on the field rather than to the WR. For a long time, DBs had the advantage, but the rules have shifted making things easier for WRs. As a result I think more WRs can make an impact early in the NFL, but it's still one of the toughest positions for a rookie to start and play well.

20. boozer32

Haven't heard anything about him. Don't know if that is good or bad.