So do you think B Mann gets to punt differently?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jettexas34, Jan 15, 2021.

1. jettexas34

jettexas34 Member

I know there is usually a lot of improvement in punters after year 1, and I think he really got his hang time up. But our coverage units were so bad.

I'm wondering with new coaching staff, if there might be a shift in coverage/philosophy that will allow Mann to kick the crap out of the ball. I mean, if we're going to whiff on tackles, we might as well whiff 55 yards down the field instead of 40.

If nothing else, have him perfect punting out of bounds as far down field as possible. Seems like he could master the 45yd OOB punt.

p.s. Any suggestions on where to get a quality Mann #7 jersey other than the $99 NFL shop?

2. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Trade Mann for a second. We're never punting again.

3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

FJF likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Very good quality. A little bit weak the past month or so but you're back in midseason form. Great to see man. It's all coming together for the playoff run.

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Tired leg maybe?? That man did punt ALOT...

6. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting he was coached not to kick the ball as far as he could this season?

7. twown

twown Well-Known Member

mmm.... tasty compliment sandwich. I appreciate the tough love!

ukjetsfan likes this.
  8. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

I scratch my head at some threads and how they don't get closed immediately

9. GreenWhiteandGold

GreenWhiteandGold Well-Known Member

Just when you think you have seen it all

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  10. jettexas34

jettexas34 Member

I'm not sure if some of you guys are being facetious, or you really think Braden Mann was trying to punt as far as he can. If you think the latter, you don't understand the NFL punting game and certainly don't understand Mann's ability. But I'll play nice and just explain for any who don't get it, that the NFL puts a premium on limiting return yards, and punting far is looked down upon if it is not accompanied by a good hang time as it stresses the coverage unit.

Braden's number one job in NY was to increase his hang time (much as it was his senior year at A&M when he had a reduced punting average). And he did a pretty good job at that. The coverage was still terrible for the most part, especially given that his punts were fairly short and his hang time decent.

I'm hoping the Jets get a complete makeover in their coverage unit or its plan. Mann can regularly punt the ball 55-60 yards if his objective is just to punt long. Would be great if we could marry the long punt with good coverage and a decent hang time- basically what every team is trying to accomplish.

He also needs work on his short game- that has never been his strength.

11. jettexas34

jettexas34 Member

No, not "suggesting" it. I guess I'm informing you of that if you weren't aware. :)

but seriously, you might want to take a listen at the 12:45 mark and the 16:00 mark here....

#11 jettexas34, Jan 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    Footballgod214 likes this.
  12. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

This is the niche content I’m here for.

13. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I often wonder about people who complain about the quality of a thread, after they have seen the title, then decided to open it up and then felt an even bigger urge to comment in it rather than just close it down immediately?

Odd stuff, no?

14. NYGANGGREEN

I often wonder about people who complain about the quality of a thread, and then add nothing of quality to the thread. It was so good that you made a comment about my comment instead of the original comment, odd stuff no?

#14 NYGANGGREEN, Jan 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    K'OB likes this.
  15. K'OB

You were close but not close enough my old mucker, I'll award you silver for the effort.

I never complained about the thread quality, I learned something from it at least, I thought the aim of punting was to smash it as far down the other end as possible tbh lol ;)

jettexas34, Brook! and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  16. NYGANGGREEN

It clearly wasn't that good since you replied to me first lol. The aim of punting isn't to smash the ball as far as possible every time because the field position your punting from is always different. Yeah you want to boot it 70 yards if your on your own 10. But if your on your own 40 you prob don't want to do that as it would lead to a TB. Every punting situation is different based of where your team is punting from. The original author ask would he punt different because of a new coach huh? A punter literally punts different throughout an entire game depending on whos returning the kick and again his position on the field. Even if our special teams suck your going to try to punt the ball strategically to get the most value out of field position and pin your opponent as far back as possible so that their Offense has to go as far as possible to score. That's the goal of punter, not to smash the ball as far as possible into the stands.

westiedog1, Jets81 and K'OB like this.
  17. K'OB

Now wouldn't it have been better to have said this in the thread first rather than your complaining post?

Then I would have learned more things earlier on, rather than having to drag it out of you :D

Jets81 and Brook! like this.
  18. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

O.P is making an observation and than supports his observation with data. Why should this be closed?

jettexas34 likes this.
  19. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

i have alwasy thought....shouldnt new threads go to moderatots for approval...

so we dont have 17 robert saleh threads, for example?

NYGANGGREEN likes this.
  20. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Rookie punter had the most punts in the nfl, tired leg like Cman said? I expect a better year from him next year, good draft pick from JD