Smith vs Sanchez 14'

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ajitator, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

I think everyone clamoring for a QB drafted this year is way off base. There are a lot of other positions that we desperately need help at. Lets figure out who we have on the roster at QB first and move on from there.

Sanchez is going to have a hard time finding a starting spot coming off season ending shoulder surgery. It would be in his best interest to restructure his contract to stick around for an year on the cheap and battle for the starting spot with Geno if he really wants to revitalize his career and can turn it around we have Geno as a backup for a long time.

Smith is showing that he still has a lot of learning to do while showing flashes of talent. There are a ton of things he's doing wrong but is young and still has a shot at turning it around. If Sanchez restructures and loses the job to Smith he has really no choice but to stick around for cheap or pick up the clipboard elsewhere.

IF Sanchez restructures early, we can get some offensive playmakers surrounding one of these 2 for the offseason I think they can actually get it done with this defense. We've seen this year that we don't need much from the offense to win a game. If we can improve the WR / CB position this team can be scary good even with a mediocre QB.

Give the 2 young guys on our roster a fair shot to develop before we just throw'em in the trash. Both Sanchez and Smith are still younger then over half the QBs in the league. They still both can learn / improve a lot.

2. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

This is what I want. If we do draft a qb, 4th round the earliest. I want to see Sanchez in this offense during the pre-season things seemed so easy for him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I'd rather take my chances with a developmental QB in the later rounds or a FA vet then Sanchez. I've seen what he gives us...pass.

You just said it yourself in your post. Sanchez will have a hard time finding a starting job next year. Then why would that make him good enough to be the Jets starter?

4. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

He'll have a hard time because he has been under the glare of NY media his entire career. he is young, shows smarts, comes up big in pressure situations, and if you take away 2012 was looking like things were really starting to click in 2011.

They can cut Sanchez whenever they want to take the require cap hit and give him a shot. There is no starter coming up on the market and no backup that makes you stand up and take notice. Let Sanchez, smith, and a draft pick battle it out. Odds are the draft pick beats out smith and it he is really good he beats out Sanchez.

I just feel Sanchez is going to have a lot to prove and really come into the season with a big chip on his shoulder. Maybe this is the year off that made him really appreciate starting and by watching from the sideline he has probably learned a lot about the offense.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I wish they would give Mark a chance at a reduced salary but I doubt it.

6. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

It's time to go in a different direction. I'm tired of watching the Mark Sanchez's and Geno's QB for us. We just hand guys the keys to car when they don't know how to drive it. We need to trade for a QB, or sign a vet. We need somebody here who can play capable football for us.

I have no problem drafting a QB in the upcoming draft but if our QB situation going into next year is some rookie, Sanchez, and Geno i'd be annoyed.

7. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

It's time to move on from Sanchez. He's done here. Bring in a vet to compete with Geno.

8. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

time to move on. This fan base has seen enough of Sanchez, imagine trotting him out on opening day

9. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I think they cut Sanchez and either draft a higher end QB (i.e. Manziel) or sign a veteran guy to push Geno. If Geno wins the spot it's his and if not then he sits on the bench. End of story.

I'd be pretty shocked if Sanchez took another snap in a Jets uniform, even in pre-season.

10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I think this was the thinking that led Rex to put Sanchez in that meaningless preseason game. What he should have realized was that Boo's on opening day won't matter at the end of the season if he plays well.

11. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

Honestly, who cares what the fan base thinks? That will change real quick with a string of W's either from Sanchez or Smith. ( see - http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/9651/sanchez-a-pro-bowl-quarterback )

I don't see all the fus about picking up a FA journeyman QB in the offseason that's going to work out better for us then Sanchez. If you look at it 100% objectively there's not a single QB on the market that has half the resume Sanchez has. If there was, he would want many millions of dollars for many years with lots of guarantees.

The big IF part of my post was if he would restructure. If he does that gives the team the cap space back that make so many people angry with him. It would help the team and he's always been a team player and has to realize the situation he's in. If he gives the team some money to put the play makers around him maybe he can have a better chance to succeed.

#11 Ajitator, Dec 16, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  12. 85inthehall

if the guy goes in and wins the job with a solid pre-season I would have no problem watching him start opening day. Wanted to see it this season and was excited to see how he would to in this offense.

I don't think as much of this fan base is so against Sanchez - especially after watching Geno this season and saying if only Sanchez were playing we would be in the playoffs.

13. legler82

Not unprecedented. In case any of you missed it, I posted the following in a similar thread:

14. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

This needs to be in the Sanchez sucks thread. Nacho is done in NY. The crowd will absolutely kill him the second he steps foot in Metlife again. He is done here.

15. 85inthehall

People say bring in a vet like they are a dime a dozen out there. I don't want to see a 34 year old career backup coming in. They need someone who has started and has had success. The best option is Sanchez if you look at the available QBs that will hit the market in the offseason.
    Cutler is not coming to NY so he isn't an option.

people say well this team has no talent -- they had even less last year with injuries and Sporano running the show.

Bring in talent and see if Geno can beat out Sanchez for real. If he can great he gets another try and if he falters i have no issue with Sanchez taking over.

16. 85inthehall

Crowd kills you until you win a game then they love you -- then you lose and they hate you -- NY fans and sport fans in general - go from one extreme to the other on a daily basis/

Plenty of #6 jerseys all over the stadium each week.

17. legler82

Outside of landing Bridgewater or Cutler, I would take an all of the above approach and see what sticks. Restructure Sanchez to a 1 year incentive-laden contract, bring in a vet via FA and draft a QB in the mid to late rounds. Have everyone (including Geno and Simms) battle it out in camp. When the dust settles, you keep the best 3 on the roster with their place on the depth chart (i.e., QB1, QB2 and QB3) commensurate with their performance in camp. We could end up with all kinds of combinations as no one is paid so much that they can't be cut.

18. 85inthehall

This works -- no matter what you will have Sanchez' dead money -- cut him and avoid the huge hit - sign him with a legit chance to start, see what vet is on the market, and Geno -- hell they might have a situation where the vet and sanchez beat out geno.

I think the crowd will cheer for any QB not named Geno on opening day.

19. 94Abraham

Sanchez is a bottom 5 QB. Quit wasting your time and posting about him with useles dribble that has been posted time and time again. This crap has been beat to death in the Sanchez sucks thread already. Give it a rest and go rewatch 2009/2010 playoff tapes. Thats the closest youll get to seeing him play like an actual NFL QB

20. 94Abraham

Thing is, Sanchez is so bad that this team wont be winning with him. Especially with the lack of talent on the offensive side of the ball. This isnt 2009/2019 with the roster being stacked and overachieving anymore. The first bad game he has, the crowd will be lighting him up. You cant say either that crowd means nothing. Sanchez doesnt have the mental makeup to ignore the constant boos he would get.