SLINGBOX! Bought, setup and awesome!

Discussion in 'Jets Experience' started by concussion80, Nov 17, 2010.

1. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

So here's the back story. I am going to Spain for 10 days, starting the day before Thanksgiving. I'm a Jet nut, we all know that. So I email some irish bars in Madrid and ask them what their schedule is. James Joyce pub is having a Thanksgiving feast with both early games on the tv. Great. But no Jets, too late.

So I buy this slingbox, which has a mobile app for my DROID, it works amazing!! I will be sitting in my hotel room at 3am, watching this game!!

And I won't forget to mention that an IPAD app is coming out for it allowing HD viewing on that device, from anywhere.

Just wanted to give a heads up, can't wait to bring the IPAD to the beach and watch the Mets!

2. jetsyankeesfan6

jetsyankeesfan6 New Member

Does the beach have the wifis?

3. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

Works like a freaking dream over mobile network, believe it or not.

4. DaftGreen

DaftGreen Member

Believe it or not some Long Island beaches have wifi hotspots.

5. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

You're right. I am resident of Town of Babylon ( Gilgo, Cedar and Captree) all nice beaches. I think they all have wifi, havent tried it yet.

6. nycztonee

nycztonee Active Member

one of the best investments if you're a football fan.

7. steves850

steves850 Active Member

You know? I've been going back and forth on whether I want to pick one up. Think I oughta...

8. steves850

steves850 Active Member

Which model did you end up getting?

9. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I've wondered about getting one of these here in the states so my friends in the UK can stream the games from my TV. Conversely, if they return the favor maybe we can stream UK television programming.

Seems too easy. There must be mechanisms in place from the content providers that prevent this sort of sharing. Does anyone with a Slingbox have any insight?

10. asbcheeks

asbcheeks Member

I lived in the UK last year and slingbox was a livesaver. Didn't even get UK cable, just connected to a DVR box at my parents place on LI (set up exclusively for the slingbox, no local viewing) and taped everything I wanted to watch in US primetime that was too late for live viewing. Didn't miss a single Jets game.

11. asbcheeks

asbcheeks Member

Only one person can log onto a single slingbox for remote viewing at a time. And if someone is watching TV off the cable box locally you are stuck watching whatever they watch. Otherwise no issue.

12. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

I got the slingbox solo. It is the new entry version which allows one to interact with all the cool new apps they are coming out with.

Do not get one used!!! Buy the latest and greatest!

I have 3 TV's with FIOS boxes in my house. Just set it up with one and you are gold. And make sure it's not your kids or wifes regular viewing TV or you'll run into "conflicts".

13. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

As long as it's not streaming to an audience of more than the one account holder it's not an issue. I'm sure this was worked out with the FCC when the product was initially planned and launched.

14. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

I have one, it's awesome.

15. gizmo253

gizmo253 Member

I have slingbox solo and its amazing, got the iphone app for $30 bucks, so im into the whole thing for about $230 bucks. Literally im in love with the thing, i never miss my NY JETS, and when im not watching my uncle in florida logs on with his iphone.

The Slingbox is the real deal. I know its something that we all contemplate from time to time, as i procrastinated the decision. But honestly its a great product and I would reccomend to all.

On the other hand does anyone know a way to stream the feed from the slingbox? I would love to be able to stream the game to my fellow TGG'ers each week.

16. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

I honestly think there's NO way they'd allow you to stream your tv's content to a wider audience via their product, as it violates their very strict agreement with the FCC and the terms of use policy.

The slongbox stream utilizes one ip going in and one ip going out at one time, none more than that. I suppose if they came out with some sort of slingbox groups service where you can share with other slingbox subscribers that would be possible.

17. rgoltsch

rgoltsch New Member

I have had a Slingbox the last two years. I have used it to watch American TV when I jump across the ocean to Europe. I have watched multiple Jets games at god-awful local times, as well as multiple Yankee games since I got the unit.

The way it works is you set it up on your local network. You sign in to an account with Slingbox and only one person can watch the Slingbox at a time....that's why the content providers don't have a big issue with it.

The only problem I have had was when I was watching a TV show from Poland and was just on the edge of falling asleep.....my daughter went into the basement and decided to use the TV we have down there that is hooked up to the Slingbox and changed the channel to some Nickelodeon show.....I kept changing the channel back to what I was watching, then she would change it back to her channel.

Look at it from her point of view....she thought the TV was haunted. She forgot I had the box connected.

I hope that answers some of your questions.

18. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

It does! Thanks for the other replies from others too. I gather then that the Slingbox user can only see what is being shown on the main Slingbox connected TV, so if the channel changes, that's what they get. BUT, what if it is hooked up to a two-line DVR? Is there then a choice of two streams?

Another Q: Say I have a Slingbox hooked up to my TV, and while I am away using the Slingbox to watch my TV from a remote location, someone in my house watches a prerecorded DVR show? Is that what I'd see via Slingbox or would I see whatever the live show is coming into the box even though its not being watched on the screen?

19. rgoltsch

rgoltsch New Member

You see whatever is being shown on the tv. When my daughter was changing channels at home, I even saw the guide as she brought it up on the screen.