SI: Falcons' Babineaux smoked pot as he drove

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by NoodleArm, Dec 15, 2009.

1. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Didn't see this posted yet. If it was, Mods, please feel free to delete this thread.

It appears that Babineaux, a starting DT for the Falcons pulled a Shaun Ellis. Article doesn't detail what his status for our game will be, but it cannot be good.

--------
    ATLANTA (AP) -- A police report says Atlanta Falcons defensive tackle Jonathan Babineaux was smoking marijuana as he and a friend drove through the northeast Atlanta suburbs.

The Gwinnett County police report says Babineaux picked up a friend at the Atlanta airport and took him to a nearby town house to buy marijuana. It says Babineaux repeatedly told police he didn't smoke, then admitted he had smoked from a marijuana blunt at least once.

Babineaux was arrested last week and charged with felony possession of marijuana. He started in Sunday's loss to New Orleans. Falcons coach Mike Smith said Monday the team followed NFL rules in letting him play.

Babineaux's lawyer did not immediately return a call seeking comment. The Falcons had no immediate comment Tuesday.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/12/15/falcons.ap/index.html#ixzz0ZnK4HALr
    Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

2. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Pot smokers need to stop being treated as criminals. Probably another case of DWB.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

He should get charged the same as someone who was driving while drinking a beer IMO.

4. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

The South shall rise again!

5. InChadWeTrust

InChadWeTrust New Member

I know what you mean. What I don't understand is why can't these people WAIT UNTIL THEY GET HOME?! I mean honestly, what was that drive from the airport to his place? 20-25 minutes? Damn man just listen to some music in the car or talk to your friend to pass the time lol.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

Stupidity and arrogance come to mind.

7. NoodleArm

Babineaux's got 2 fumble recoveries and 5 sacks, but 3.5 of those sacks were against the 'Skins and Bucs. Does anyone know if this guy's good enough to give our line problems?

8. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

He's nothing Mangold cannot handle but I doubt he'll be playing on Sunday. Goodell is going to suspend him if the Falcons don't do it themselves.

9. brothermoose

I drive just as well when I'm stoned. Sometimes better because I'm a little more cautious and take less chances...and I'll be the first one to admit that alcohol impairs my driving. So I disagree.

The law should absolutely punish people for driving while impaired on any substance and/or emotional state. The substance itself shouldn't matter and is the subject of another debate entirely. Either you are able to drive or you aren't, and are responsible for knowing the difference.

10. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I drive great stoned the problem is I drive a stick and trying to dip my fritos into the Salsa with one hand is kind of annoying.

11. WhiteShoeWillis

I don't smoke weed but I agree it shouldn't be punished the way it is. I do think if you're impaired you should be punished equally as if you were impaired by another substance.

I'm sure you think you're driving "just as well" when you're stoned, but you are under the influence. I know people who say the same thing about alcohol. It's bullshit IMO. I used to smoke weed in high school, I doubt I drove the same when I was lost in space.

12. brothermoose

:lol:I've been there man...

13. brothermoose

Hey, like I said...it is the driver's responsibility to know his limits regardless of whether it's a substance or something as seemingly innocuous as being in a bad emotional state. The crime that should be punished is Driving While Impaired.

Again, I'm relating to another argument for another day here, but too many of our laws address the tangential occurrences and not the actual crux of the crime. eg. I don't think it should be illegal to smoke crack. I do, however think it should be illegal to steal to pay for it...or drive while on it...or to assault someone to get it. Fight the crime, not the pastime.

14. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Driving While Babineaux?

15. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

unless he was hitting the bong while driving, who cares

16. NoodleArm

I'm sure that if he wasn't stoned, he'd have called his lawyer and wouldn't be in this mess.

Hah

17. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

I smoked quite a bit weed in my youth, but I knew if I ever got caught it would probably screw up my life because smoking, carrying, buying marijuana is AGAINST THE LAW.

But hey we shouldn't treat him like a criminal even though he was caught BREAKING THE LAW.

I don't agree with the law and sometimes I don't follow it, but if I get caught breaking it some people always seem to believe I'm a criminal for some reason or another. It's odd.

18. Coach K

Coach K New Member

rofl awesome post

19. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

Wow, SI, he smokes while he drives?!!1111

Everyone in high school I knew did that. Dumb, but very common.