Should we draft a QB this year?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Sep 12, 2023.

?

Should we draft a QB in the 1st round in 2024?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

You're sad, I'm sad, we're all sad. Let's just go ahead and get that out of the way. I'm still somewhat numb from last night and it doesn't feel real but it is real so now we have to adjust.

Barring a quantum leap from Zach (highly unlikely) it doesn't make a ton of sense IMO to go into next season with a 4th year QB who has been below average (to put it mildly) for his whole career and a soon to be 41 year old QB coming off of an achilles tear.

My expectations for the year have been reset. I had us around the 11 win mark prior to Rodgers going down. I now think that our ceiling is probably similar to how we finished last year (7, 8, 9 wins).

I think it's unlikely that we're bad enough to be in the Caleb Williams/Drake Maye sweepstakes. We've already got 1 win under our belt and even with Zach as the QB going forward, I see the rest of the team dragging us to a few more wins.

From what I've read, the QB class this year is incredibly deep and talented. Do you think we should use our 1st round pick this year on the best available QB? Or should we try to go the Vet FA route/Vet trade route? Please elaborate on your answer after you vote!

#1 KY Jets Fan, Sep 12, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2023
    joelip likes this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm fine with veterans forever. This team will never develop a QB properly.

3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The answer to "Should you draft a QB?" is always yes until you have a good young QB. The upside to having a good one on a rookie contract is just too big to ignore. They are multiples more important than any other position, so the unlikelihood of drafting a good one shouldn't be a deterrent because the payoff is so massive if you do.

Now, which round to select one in is up for debate. I'm a proponent of taking one in any round from 1-4 until you get one though.

Good vet QBs don't hit the market unless they're ancient, so you're usually getting a 2-3 year window with large decline/injury risk built into it. A good young QB gives you a 5 year window to compete for a Super Bowl at minimum.

westiedog1, NYJetsO12 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  4. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

Not without pissing off Rodgers. Oline, oline.

barfolomew and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Use a day 2 or 3 pick on a QB and use the 1st rounder to get an OL or skill position player.

barfolomew, IDFjet and abyzmul like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There might be something like 6-7 guys taken in the first two rounds this year.

Obviously Caleb & Drake Maye. I think Deion’s kid has played himself into being a first or second rounder. I don’t like him as a pro but Quinn Ewers will probably go late first.

Michael Penix might be up there. He has a rocket and is going to throw for a million yards and TDs this year. Jayden Daniels should wow at the combine/pro day as will Riley Leonard from Duke.

Deeper pick I like is Michael Pratt at Tulane. 4-year starter, good athlete, good NFL arm and played Tulane into being a winning program. They also play well against power 5’s.

westiedog1 likes this.
  7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Assuming Rogers returns next year, not yet. First shore up the OL, in particular the OTs. Today’s NFL calls for elite level QB-protecting bullies. To that end and for 2024 I’d look at (though they may be gone by the time the Jets pick):

Olu Fashanu - PSU
    Joe Alt - ND

barfolomew likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Absolutely not! We can't protect the QB now and can't open up holes for the RBs. What good would drafting another QB do, unless he's big and fast and runs 80% of the time? We don't have a 2nd round pick, and as you said, we're not going to likely be drafting where we can get one of the elite prospects. IMO it would be a total waste of the pick and a waste of next season to take another QB. IMO the 1st round pick has to be an OT. The 3rd rounder should be used on either another OT or an OG. If they want to use one of the 4th round picks on a QB fine, but otherwise wait until 2025.

Leicester Jet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Good thinking ..shore up the trenches big time

But truth be told I voted yes on QB..this shouldn’t be about hurting Rogers or Zach’s feelings imo

The 4th round we get some diamond in the rough like Tom Brady ( prays …sigh)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

One of these days you'll surprise us by calling for an action that could help the team rather than protect Zach Wilson from competition. Two years ago an 80-1 shot won the Kentucky Derby - you never win with a longshot if you don't put a little money on him. The current odds on favorite is still on the backstretch, the only debate is whether he's still losing ground or not.

11. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Depends on so many things;

1. Do we have a new GM/HC combo?
    2. Does the GM fix the O-Line in FA?
    3. Does Rodgers come back for '24?

If you're top 2 then you're taking a QB, Picking at #3 could be interesting due to Marvin Harrison Jr possibly being the BPA of the draft Vs our not immediate need for a #WR1 (although imagine Rodgers throwing to Garret and MH behind a fixed O-Line!!!). Stuck down in the teens it might just be a case of is there a Day 1 starter at a position of great need Vs a QB you believe in.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

The NFL draft world will be late to talk about him because of the east coast bias but Cam Ward is a baller. Big boy arm, athletic and can throw on the move. He’s been in multiple systems that prove he can process and played a ton of football so far.

The only thing the kid needs to do is clean up his fumbles although honestly in a pro system I’d imagine he does.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  13. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I'm watching East coast transfers Nix and Penix tearing it up in the pac-12. Either they are maturing incredibly or the competition sucks compared to the SEC and Big-ten.

joelip and KY Jets Fan like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

I’ve never been a big Bo Nix guy but he does look good and he got out of a messy program in Auburn. One thing to note with him is his career home/road splits are really eye popping. He’s not a good road QB at all comparatively.

I think Penix is the real deal. He was good at Indiana before he got hurt with dog shit around him. Laser for an arm and very accurate. Smart kid that studies hard and has all the intangibles. I’d love to see them get in the CFP so he could showcase what he can do.

The PAC-12 is for real this year as well. Easily the best group of QB’s in the country and they could have 3-4 first round picks at the position.

15. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I liked Penix as far back as his Indiana days. But man, that injury history. Yikes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Riley Leonard looks like an intriguing day 2 option if he declares.

blackssmagic likes this.
  17. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

Even if we tank, we would probably draft the wrong guy

stinkyB likes this.
  18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Maybe not at the top, but it's pretty clear that they'll need to address the position in multiple ways this offseason....

19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I was high on Cam Ward last year. Thought that he would declare and be a Day 2 pick.

He's lighting it up this year for WSU, count me as being "in" on the Cam Ward bandwagon.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

My early selections are leaning into him and/or Penix being my choices assuming we’re picking in the bottom of the top ten and miss out on Maye and Williams.

Ward’s seemingly fixed the turnover issues so I don’t really see a lot of physical flaws. He’s also running Western Kentucky’s offense which always produces a lot of big time QB yards from guys with weak NFL arms (Zappe, White, etc.).

IDFjet and KY Jets Fan like this.