Should Trey Lance be in Consideration?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by PennyandtheJets, Feb 13, 2021.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Good Morning TGG. I watched some tape on Trey Lance. Let me clear, he shouldn't be in consideration at 2, but would you maneuver/trade up/down the draft board to target this guy?

There were some things I really like about it. He took snaps from under center, did a good amount of play-action passing, and is explosive when he decides to run. Also saw some negatives like poor mechanics at time, inaccuracy, an also very limited college experience.

What say you?

Brook! and phubbadaman like this.
  2. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

To me once you move down and forgo taking a Qb at pick #2, it means you are losing out on Lawrence, Wilson and Fields.

Once you get to the 4th+ best Qb in this draft, you’re probably better off using the pick on an offensive player and sticking with Darnold/Morgan for 1 year and take a Qb next year.

As far as Lance, I think you have to see how he looks in his pro day, workouts... very hard to imagine how his college game would transition to the pro’s. He’s still more of an athlete vs Qb, too raw imo.

Now if you took him at #23, that’s a different story... just not sure he slips that far.

thanks for posting

3. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

trade down and trey is a legit option , imo

been sayn it for months... would be ballsy af

Brook! and PennyandtheJets like this.
  4. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

That’s how I see it. High upside, low floor.

5. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

many ways to address the QB position, this is one where we expand our draft capital a bit and STILL address the position.

Stafford was another way they I personally liked quite a bit but... he went to a PO team... go figure....

6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Yes, but he'll need to be redshirted in 2021. He's my favorite non Lawrence QB prospect. His flaws are fixable IMO.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He's risky at #2 or even a little lower, but if you really like him better than Fields or Wilson, then you almost have to take him at #2. It's just too risky to try to trade down a little and then get him. Atlanta could take him at #4, or some team could trade up ahead of the Jets and take him. If he turned into a high-caliber FQB for the Jets, it wouldn't matter whether they had taken him at #2 or #8. The same thing goes if he doesn't pan out. It's going to hurt if he doesn't develop. The only thing that would ease the pain a little would be whatever you got for trading down from #2 to #8 or whereever.

ColoradoContrails and westiedog1 like this.
  8. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I think he's the best QB prospect outside of Lawrence.
    He's definitely in play, maybe even at #2........there's still more evaluation process that needs to play out.

I predict come Pro Day and interview time, the rumors of him climbing draft boards will heat up.
    Note, I wouldn't be in favor of starting him week 1.
    Having had his season cancelled in 2020, and taking a giant leap up in competition, it may be best to let him adapt a year.

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  9. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Determine which QB you want.

Take him at #2.

If you locate the one you want. Don't play cute and take the guy you want without the risk of that QB going before your pick.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

FJF, Lon Chaney, JetFanInPA and 5 others like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

I just now watched the 2019 National Championship game against James Madison and the 2019 game against Delaware. Lance looked faster than in other games I watched. I was more impressed with this running ability, although his vision doesn't look great as he had a lot of runs for little or no gain. I was less impressed with his passing however. His accuracy was lesser, a lot of his throws were high (which could lead to more tipped passes and interceptions in the NFL), I saw more wobbly passes, and I saw several passes that would have been intercepted if not pick 6s in the NFL. He has a very strong arm, but his touch, accuracy and placement need work. Tonight's impression leaves me to believe that he probably needs to sit for at least a year, maybe two.

I'll see if that opinion changes as I look at more video.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

If they trade down, Lance would be a solid pick IMO the problem I have is he s probably not NFL ready in 2021. So He backs up Darnold?

If the Jets trade Darnold then absolutely they have to pick a QB at #2, and go with a more ready QB, that is Fields, Lawrence and Wilson.

12. NCJetsfan

I agree that Lance would be a solid pick if they trade down and that he is probably not ready in 2021. If the Jets plan on sitting him, I think Morgan backs up Darnold or whomever the vet QB the Jets sign is. I disagree that if the Jets trade Darnod that they absolutely have to pick a QB at #2, although I hope that they will. They could sign Tyrod Taylor, Andy Dalton, or C.J. Beathard as a veteran stopgap for a year and still sit Lance.

#12 NCJetsfan, Feb 20, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    Noam likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

14. NCJetsfan

15. NCJetsfan

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Your description has many similarities to the early assessments some experts placed on Josh Allen. Do you see a Josh Allen type player in him?

17. NCJetsfan

That's hard to say. It's been 3 years since I watched Allen at Wyoming. I think Lance is a good deal ahead of Allen in terms of accuracy, and maybe fundamentals/knowledge of playing the position. Lance has a much better team around him than Allen had, however, so that could have had an adverse affect on Allen. Lance may be a stronger runner, Allen may be more elusive/quicker, but maybe not. They both have cannons for arms.

I watched more game footage of Lance today vs. Butler, W. Illinois, the James Madison Championship Game in 2019, Tim Jenkins' analysis of him, and the Central Arkansas game from 2020. In the Central Arkansas game (his only game in 2020), he looked to have regressed. Jenkins points out that Lance started doing something strange this year in his dropbacks that slowed him down looking for receivers. He takes a slow step back, and then turns, instead of moving back more quickly and hopping into position. He said that some of Lance issues could be a matter of what he's being coached to do at NDSU. Jenkins also said he could wind up being a very good QB in the NFL, but doesn't see him as a 1st round pick unless he has improved a lot by his Pro Day. I disagree with that. I think he's definitely a 1st round pick, but he needs a lot of work on his reads, decision-making, footwork, placement, touch. I wouldn't take him at #2, but I don't think he'll get by Carolina at #8. He's just too talented and got too much potential.

He's definitely faster than the earlier game or games I saw him in, or my vision was off the last time I looked at game videos of him.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Thanks for these videos. I had seen the Waldman and JT O'Reilly ones before but it was a good refresher. I have to say I like Both JT's and Tim Jenkins' analyses a lot. This evaluation by Jenkins I think is pretty accurate IMO, although I disagree that he isn't a 1st round pick. Given the premium on QBs, any QB who has "NFL stuff" is going to likely be a 1st rounder in today's NFL.

Based on what I've seen so far, I'd rank the QBs like this:

1A - Lawrence
    1B - Wilson

2 - Lance

3 - Fields

After these four, I can't say where Jones and Trask are because I haven't seen enough of them.

With Lance, I don't see him as a Day 1 or even Season 1 starter. I think he needs to go somewhere so that he can be developed, and get experience playing under much more pressure than he's experienced. I think something that has lead to his regressing a little as seen in his 2020 game, and also some of the head scratching plays he makes in his 2019 film is that he's used to having a lot of time and/or open windows, and knowing that he can usually use his legs to get out of trouble, and this leads to him getting lazy in his decision making and sense of timing. He needs to get a lot of reps in a much faster environment and learn to quicken his response times.

That said, he has a great arm - maybe the best in this class - and he's a great athlete and a natural runner, so it's almost inconceivable that he won't succeed in the NFL, but that might take him sitting for a year. I can say that if he were put into the situation that Darnold was he would've likely been ruined as Sam was, so he needs to go somewhere where he has good coaching and a decent supporting cast. The Jets might be okay but only if they have someone he can sit behind.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

I totally agree, except maybe for ranking Lance ahead of Fields. I need to watch more video of Fields and refresh my memory.

Sam wouldn't really be the right QB for him to sit and learn behind, except maybe as an example of what not to do. If the Jets sign Tyrod Taylor, Andy Dalton or maybe even C.J. Beathard, I think we could sit Lance for a year, let him work on his flaws, coach him up a lot, and he'd probably be ready to go year 2.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'll be surprised if the Jets are planning on drafting a QB and then keep Sam.