Should the Jets trade for Amari Cooper?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ColoradoContrails, Oct 15, 2018.

?

Should the Jets Trade For Amari Cooper?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    20.9%
  2. No

53 vote(s)
    79.1%
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I thought of just adding this into the thread on Jones, but there may be different reasons people have pro/con for trying to get Cooper vs. Jones.

My feeling is that if they can get him for a "reasonable" price, do it. Reasonable being the TB 3rd, and maybe a future 3rd or 4th or a non-impact player. Adding a Pro Bowl caliber receiver would really help Sam. That said, he hasn't made the Pro Bowl in two years and he's currently injured. Also, there are bigger needs like pass rusher and OL, but still at the right price, and assuming he returns to form, he could be a great addition.

I doubt the Raiders would accept the kind of price I'm suggesting, and even if they would, would not trade him to an AFC team - like the Mack deal. Still, if they can get him at the right price I say do it.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If I’m not mistaken, they are either going to have to cut Cooper or pay him $13 mil next season so it’s in their best interest to trade him for whatever they can get. He isn’t good enough to warrant more than a third and when you tack on the fact the team trading for him has to pay him, I doubt they’ll get more than a fourth.

If that’s the case I do it in a heartbeat. Get Sam some weapons.

Mr mittens likes this.
  3. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

I just don't feel like a receiver is a position we currently need an upgrade at bad enough to trade for one.

While he was a 1000+ yard guy his first two seasonss he fell off hard last year only missing two games but didnt even break 700 yards.

The upside is hes still young and is a good fit for this spread/west coast scheme we run.

All that being said Gruden is in his early mack stage where they are claiming they are not shopping him.

JetBlue and Jetsfansince2015 like this.
  4. Doreblade

Doreblade Active Member

I'd do it in a heartbeat too. Thought he was a great pick for my pal's beloved Raiders and I believe in him now.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Peebag likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If that's the price, I agree.

6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Didn’t he just get his eggs scrambled?

7. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I was wondering when this thread was going to be started. If the price is right like maybe a third then I say OK . Pro Bowl WR - fell off last year but my gut tells me Carr is slightly over rated and the dysfunction in Raider land is playing a huge role.

Imagine pairing Cooper and Anderson ( if he straightens out ). Enunwa in the slot....

I don't know what's going on out in Oakland but that franchise has gone wacky over the past 2 months especially......

jetstopgun likes this.
  8. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

Kearse and Robby outperformed him last year. And Quincy is slightly outperforming him this year.

And Cooper has the advantage of working with a good QB, going on their 4th year together now.

So in short he's been horrible for 2 years. I'll pass.

NYJetsO12 and FJF like this.
  9. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

IDK if you can call a WR who avg's 14 yards per catch horriable

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is called buying low. He’s undoubtedly a first round talent that has been struggling the last two years. A change in scenery (cliche I know) and a new system could jumpstart something. That’s a risk I’m willing to take for a third or fourth rounder.

Also Carr is not that good. He cashed in based off one good year and has been mediocre at best since.

11. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

Well I'll let the talent evaluators make that call. As fans all we can go by are stats, and Cooper has been terrible for 2 years and there's no clear or obvious reason why he's been struggling, so I have to say that maybe he just isn't that good. If Mac and the pro scouts see something different, and he's actually good but just not producing, then let's do it. I'd be happy as a clam if Jets land a legitimate no. 1 guy.

12. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

He seems to be sidelined a lot. I don’t want to see a traded WR take up residence on the Chris Ivory Exercise Bike(TM)

NCJetsfan and Jetsfansince2015 like this.
  13. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Im surprised he has fallen so far the oqst few years... he seemed like a sure thing coming out to be a perennial 1000 yrd guy.

I still think he can be. Still, if he's a potential FA next year i wouldn't give more than a 5th... which OAK should decline.

14. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I couldn't justify it at this point. He's a good receiver, no doubt. But we've got other issues and what would we give up? Our o-line needs to be completely blown up. We still need an edge rusher and possibly another LB. I wouldn't mind a good, young CB.

15. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

I’m not trading for anyone. I’m keepin my first pick and both our 3s and rebuilding the OL. We have 90mil to spend, there will be edge guys and WRs in FA but no top OL.

I’m making my run at Dante Fowler and Golden Tate

NCJetsfan, NYJetsO12 and NYJFOREVER like this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

nope, very overrated WR. anderson is a better version of cooper. he's a 1 trick pony who can't beat a jam and disappears in games. he's probably the 3rd best WR on his team on a failing offense. He was good until teams learned how to beat him and he's been quiet since.

17. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Definitely depends on what we would have to give up, he's a talented wide receiver that just hasn't been producing in Oakland for whatever reason.

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

teams figured out he cna't run the full route tree and can't beat a jam. the film has been out on him and that's why he isn't producing. teams know how to beat him easily and he hasn't done anything to fix it

K'OB likes this.
  19. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

This team needs defense.

They have more than enough offense.

20. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

He looks so fat nowadays

We have enough tight ends

Jetsfansince2015 likes this.