Should JD pursue Clowney if price is 14m a year? (Signs with Titans)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Brook!, Mar 25, 2020.

?

Clowney for 14m a year?

1. Yes

47.1%
  2. No

52.9%
  1. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

I will be more than happy to give clowney a 1 year deal. He's got to have the medical and just spend it and see what happens.

I think giving clowney 15-18 for 1 year is more resonsible than giving the jags DE a first round pick, when he's likely to be a FA next year.

I would be against giving clowney a multi year deal, but lets see if we can get some edge threat.

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

nycarl likes this.
  2. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Why would Clowney want to play for a team which gets stuck in neutral every time they try to get out of reverse?

3. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

I would sign him just to stop the Seahawks from trying to make a push it is a double investment one in out team and the other in hurting the seahawks improving the draft pick

JETS1116 likes this.
  4. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Money....which is the exact reason you don't sign him.

Imagesrdecieving, twown and Cman68 like this.
  5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

We are one of the few teams well positioned for the 2021 uncertain cap situation. I would rather that money be pushed forward onto next years cap as we are not likely going anywhere this year. Although the advantage on a one year clowney deal is its one more 1 year contract and one more FA which could mean an additional comp pick in 2022. The question then is more cap room or an extra comp pick.

ColoradoContrails and Big Cat like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be against signing Clowney for whatever Douglas considers fair, but only for a 1 year deal. If he works out, then consider giving him a multi-year deal after that, but we've seen enough players on this team who "got paid" and then sucked. I prefer that Douglas builds a team of "his" guys.

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Clowney does not turn the Jet roster into a SB contender. If that was the case, then yeah, pay the man a 1 yr all in deal for 14m per. Have faith in JD to improve the team thru the draft. He finally has some cards to play with so, look for him to finish off the rebuild of the offense and start on the D next. The D will require far less rework than the OLine did so I see JD turning things around there fairly quickly.

twown and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

whatever JD decides he'll need $30-$40 mil sitting around next season to re-up Sam

Cman68 likes this.
  9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Sam hasn't played well enough to get that much.

10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Let's sign Clowney and trade him to the Seahawks. :eek:

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Definitely. I wouldn't give him a multi year deal thereafter though. If he plays well, he did so on a mercenary contract and still has never eclipsed 10 sacks in a season.

I'd sign him on a one year deal. But I think most of the league would too. That's why he's left unsigned at the moment unfortunately.

12. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

One year deal is almost always the way to go (except for QBs). Look at the Patriots ... Belichick figured out a long time ago that letting players leave in free agency rocks because you get compensatory picks.

bigbucks24 likes this.
  13. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

I say start with two first and a third rounder if they come calling

14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

LOL do you REALLY think Sam would sign a long term extension for LESS than $30 per?

15. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

16. joe

joe Well-Known Member

No thx. Team can use a pass-rusher but he's not the be all end all in that department and his sack totals are not all that impressive especially considering he had an DPOY (Watt) getting lots of attention.

4.5, 6.0, 9.0, 9.5, 3.0 .... kinda calvin pace-like, good...but not elite

boozer32 likes this.
  17. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Call me crazy but I think we could compete for the division if we signed Clowney or traded for the DE in Jacksonville. I get rolling the money over for next year too but there’s a part of me that wants to take a crack at a wide open division

I don’t think we’re close to being real SB contenders but I’m not high on any other team in our division either. Buffalo and New England would still be better on paper but a few breaks finally going our way and we could take it down.

Losing Jamal hurts but our safety group is now fine and maybe even above average instead of elite....it’s not the end of the world

boozer32, rammagen and Ptflea2 like this.
  18. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

I had to login to get my ignore list working. Defensewins is insufferable and a bore even on the rare comment I agree with.

K'OB likes this.
  19. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I wonder if it's worth it. With COVID-19 Cap ramifications I wouldn't really want to sign any other players. Any money they save this year, which already won't be much, will be rolled over to next year when they really need it.

I would probably steer clear of any of the current free agents including Clowney, Logan Ryan, or Larry Warford. Also almost guarantees the release of Avery Williamson. Not to mention Brian Winters.

20. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

here is the thing if we resign clowney and he commands a double team he helps the dline and by helping to put pressure on the qb, he helps the dbs out in coverage. Look sign him to a one yr deal and he pays off then great he helps the defense better then safety can by improving the entire defense at all three levels. Even if he gets 8 sacks that improves the defense at two levels if not three depending on where he lines up. I would put my faith in Williams the DC to use him better then he has been used before.
    Never mind it hurts Seattle in the short term for the next yrs draft

matt robinson 17 likes this.