Should JD pursue Clowney if price is 14m a year? (Signs with Titans)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Brook!, Mar 25, 2020.

?

Clowney for 14m a year?

1. Yes

47.1%
  2. No

52.9%
  1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

He is the hot name in the market. He thinks he is worth 18 mil a year but rumors say teams don't want to go above 14 mil a year.

So, do you want him for 14m a year if he agrees to come to Jets?

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

$14 mil a year works for me in a multi year deal as long as there’s an out after two years. I’d go higher on a one year deal but then you’re just gonna have to play this dumb game again next offseason where he thinks he’s top tier and GMs know he isn’t.

hornblower and JetBlue like this.
  3. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I’d say yes on a 1 year deal.

rohirrim665 likes this.
  4. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

prefer 13.8m. LOL

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Abso-fucking-lutely!

$14m a year for Clowney?! Will never happen considering he just turned down a $17m offer from Miami.

And you know......Adam Gase

6. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Booooo :D

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Adam Schein said he is back with Seattle. Don’t know at what value though.

8. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Doesn't really make sense for either side. He wants to play for a contender and we are in the midst of a roster rebuild, and will likely have a new coaching staff in 2021.

9. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Where did he say?

10. Falco21

Not sure where he got that LOL

He could be right, but that is not the most recent news from about 10 minutes ago

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You are probably, right, exact words this morning....” looks like He is on his way back to Seattle”
    Right before his interview with DC Wade Phillips

12. Falco21

I think that's the general consensus, considering he turned down a $17m offer from Miami.

Last I read, Seattle was trying hard to resign him but the number of $20m he is looking for, is not materializing on the market.

LAJet likes this.
  13. DefenseWinsChampionships

I read something like that but that was 3 days ago... Can you send me a link?

@Brook! There's no way we could get him for $14M when he's turned down Miami @$17M.

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I wouldn't do it. We aren't contending this year, and a pass rusher doesn't protect Sam or help his development. Next year is the time to go shopping.

15. Falco21

Maybe he thought Gase was still coaching Miami.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I said no. If he'd agree to a $42 million three-year deal that could escalate to $60 million with incentives for sacks, QB pressures, and TFLs that he'd have to work to reach with $20 million guaranteed (enabling an out after two years), I would. If he thinks he's so great, he should be willing to bet on himself.

Otherwise, I'd wish him well and bid him goodbye.

Signing him to a one-year deal makes zero sense to me. The Jets aren't ready to be serious contenders this year, so why pay a bunch of money to rent him for one year? What would that accomplish? If anything, it would only serve to give the Jets worse draft position next year. Also, if it's true that he takes plays off and dogs it at times, is that really the type of player that we should be looking to add? That would not help establish a culture of working hard, playing hard and smart, and being team-first.

#16 NCJetsfan, Mar 25, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  17. DefenseWinsChampionships

Gase isn't a bad coach man, some fans (not you) do not understand how he's started his (young) coaching career with two crap franchises in MIA/NYJ while some fans are acting as if he's turned winning teams ala N.E/Pittsburgh etc into losing one's which couldn't be further from the truth.

Fans may not like the truth but even if we only win 6 games this year (hopefully more) he'll still have the same exact record as Bill Belichick and the same amount of postseason appearances as Bill Belichick (with CLE another crap franchise) during their first 4 years.

Some fans are just clueless to situations, circumstances, environments and reality. They can wake me up once he turns a winning franchise, into a losing one. Cluelessness.

boozer32 and Footballgod214 like this.
  18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Too pricey for a part-timer. No.

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm hesitant, but ultimately voted Yes, but I would want it to be a multi-year deal with an out after two, and hopefully built on performance targets. But he's still a risk.

That said, it's a risk worth taking under the terms I suggested. The Jets haven't had a legit pass rusher in over a decade, and that has put too much pressure on their secondary, even when they Revis, that was a problem that was exposed. And to be able to get him they wouldn't have to give up any assets - except cap space - and wouldn't have to rely on drafting one for a few years.

Sometimes you have to take prudent risks, and if the contract is team-friendly, while being enticing enough to get him to sign, it's a good bet.

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

this is getting old... name one player who turned us down because of Adam Gase? Even more noteworthy is the fact that Clowney plays D, and by all accounts, Gase seems to be very hands off there and lets GW do his thing.

boozer32 and Skicats like this.