Short field ineptitude

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ScotsJet, Nov 23, 2010.

1. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

OK, couldn't find the stat anywhere, so I went back and worked it out.

We have THREE touchdowns from TWENTY drives starting in opposing territory - two on consecutive drives against Buffalo and the Holmes game winner in Cleveland.

Anyone else think this is pretty terrible?

Here is the breakdown:

2. Jetfan76

Jetfan76 Well-Known Member

Damn how long it take you to work this out?Yes i guess it is a pretty bad stat though.Bet it would look different if we ran the hurry for each of these drives!

3. Rascio

Rascio New Member

Wow that really is terrible.. They need to produce more td's in these situations for sure. Letting these teams hang around is killing us

4. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Yeah Rex said RZ offense is a focus to him and the CS.

I know that you mean beyond just the RZ, but it's a big part of the stat.

5. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Offensive RZ scoring is pretty fucking terrible. This has been an issue for weeks now.

6. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

What I've noticed is that nearly every time we start in plus territory, we have a big play negated by a penalty right off the bat. Then we are in a 2nd and 15+ and rarely convert.

7. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

How exactly is it "killing" the Jets???

8-2 is 8-2 no matter how you win.

8. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Went through the box scores, about half an hour or so.

We do better starting in our own half, have about 20 touchdowns or thereby on those drives.

9. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Yeah, it's not killing us, but it is making games tougher than they need to be.

10. youraveragejoe29

youraveragejoe29 New Member

yes, this has been a problem and one of the reasons we keep finding ourselves in so many close games. however, until we find ways to make the most of these scoring opportunities, stat # 4 from Page2 ESPN sounds pretty good:

Here's a quick look at five stats from Sunday's NFL action:

• In just half a season, Michael Vick has more rushing touchdowns (five) than Donovan McNabb has racked up over the last 4 years combined.

• Since trading Randy Moss, the New England Patriots are 5-1 while Moss' teams are just 1-5.

• Cowboys rookie Dez Bryant has already scored more total touchdowns (eight) than Michael Irvin did in his first two NFL seasons.

• Mark Sanchez has been utterly dominant just inside the red zone. At the opponent's 19-yard line or closer, "The Sanchize" has thrown 15 touchdowns compared to just one interception in his NFL career.

• The 2010 draft is shaping up to be a special one for special teams. Thus far, eight rookies have either returned punts or kickoffs for touchdowns.

11. good_ol_gil

good_ol_gil Active Member

ehh, that stat doesn't really mean anything. I remember when they kept flashing Pennington being something like 30+ TDs and 0 INTs in the red zone. He still wasn't good in the red zone, he just got lucky and threw his picks from outside the 20.

12. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Nice work SJ :up:

I've noticed the same thing as well, its almost like we take the foot of the gas and think that we're too good to fail. God I hope that isn't the case

13. joejets1

joejets1 Member

Ive noticed the same thing about their Red Zone ineffectiveness. I think part of the problem is the philosiphy, it seems they don't attack the endzone via the pass when they get in those situations. They are to conservative and will just run the ball or throw short passes without room for the WR to run after the catch ie 4 yard outs to the sideline which a I have seen way to much. Everyone says they are 8-2 how is it killing them I sort of agree but if you look at al those FGs and turn half into TDs the Jets aren't in so many close games in the 4th quarter. 7 of the 20 Drives were 3 and outs which can't happen.

There really isn't an excuse because the way Sanchez has been playing and with the weapons to go downfield - Keller, Edwards, Holmes they should be putting up more points.

14. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I've been screaming "Throw it in the Endzone" for years.
    Why?
    Because of this exact reason.

Thanx for posting it, it makes me see that I'm not delusional

15. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Schotty sux.

16. JetsYankeesThrylos

JetsYankeesThrylos Active Member

It can potentially hurt us bad in the final stretch when we play two top D's in Chicago and Pittsburgh and all three of our division rivals.

17. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Interestingly we even do better in the red zone if the drive originally started in our own half.

Sanchez has pretty poor passing numbers between the 50 and the opposing 20, by far his worst area of the field, per the stats on nfl.com.

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

You don't ignore shortcomings.

That's how you go one and done in the playoffs.

19. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

He gets into a Rhythmn and the defense is guessing. But when we start in plus terriotory it always feels like we just run, run and run.