Shift in front offices

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ArmandJ, Jan 9, 2015.

1. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just me, but I've noticed that many teams in lieu of firing their GM's are shifting around power in front office. Falcons, for example...Dimitroff essentially had personnel duties stripped from him and is now working primarily on cap while Pioli has more control over personnel.

Overall, we're saying more teams transition from cap guys like Emery and Idzik to more personnel people. Pretty fascinating

2. nycarl

nycarl Active Member

If you think about it from a purely business perspective it makes perfect sense to share power among equals with different skill sets. Why would someone be expected to make sound personnel decisions if his specialty is capology? NFL teams have morphed from family hobbies to billion dollar corporations over the decades since the merger. Should power continue to be consolidated in the hands of ONE person making final decisions 0n contracts, cap figures, roster and draft decisions? Every team has enough income to hire the best management team it can in each area. Does Met Life, for example, have one decision maker? I highly doubt it.