Season Expectations

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Sep 5, 2007.

?

What are your expectations for the Jets this year?

1. High , (playoffs)

57 vote(s)
    49.6%
  2. Medium (good effort , but no POs)

47 vote(s)
    40.9%
  3. Low (some worrying moments)

7 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. Terrible (We have some serious problems)

4 vote(s)
    3.5%
  1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I keep reading that 'Jets fans have high expectations' this year. Really? I would say that I was a typical Jets fan and I'm of the opinion that this year will be put on hold in terms of playoffs etc... In team terms I expect the rebuilding to quietly but effectivly go on. Next season is where I would hope to really see results and be genuine challengers.
    What are your expectations?

2. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

I guess, by this board's standards, I would be considered overly optomistic because I am legitimately expecting playoffs. The Jets made the playoffs last year and did nothing but upgrade the team in the off-season. They did not lose a single significant player and upgraded several positions. I put zero stock whatsoever into the effect of the strength of schedule. So I see no reason why the Jets should not get into the playoffs again.

3. PMCRW

PMCRW New Member

Seriously people, high expectation or go home. Every year is a chance for us. this year we have the tools and we have the supplies as well as the contractors to build this great house. a house i would like to call:

11-5

4. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

I had very tempered expectations last season. I was indifferent about a playoff appearance. I more wanted to see the team improve throughout the season. So, I got more than I bargained for.

This year, I believe we need a good showing. I am not talking SB or anything like that, but I think I would like to see a return to the playoffs (a first round win would be fantastic). First, it will validate the "Managini Way" and second, we need to get these young players used to winning. The biggest problem is unseating the Pats from the top of the East. I don't see us doing that this season and getting a WC will be tough. I guess I would be staisfied with 9-7 or higher, but I think a real step forward as a contenter requires 11 wins or more (a very tall order).

Regardless of record, these are on my wish-list:
    - A consistent rushing attack (this means good o-line performance)
    - Ability to stop the run
    - A pass rush from the D-Line
    - One or two players to emerge as studs

DbJ

5. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I checked off low, but that doesn't really reflect what I really think, based on the text accompanying it.

It will be a big letdown after last year, since I think we only manage 7 wins this year. However, I don't see that as a big deal. Like you, gus, I'm just anticipating the dividends to return next year, and moreso, the year after. I expect an honest Super Bowl contender (at least an AFCC appearance) by season-end '09.

Winning more than 7 this year would be gravy IMO.

6. Bricket-head

Bricket-head Active Member

I voted low as well. It's not that I don't want us to do good, but I like to keep my expectations low so the bitter agony of defeat doesn't rape my heart.

7. All Star

All Star Active Member

I expect at least 9 wins and see where that get's us.

Of course last year I had high expectations too so it couldn't hurt....

8. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

2-14

We have no offensive lines, no defensive line, a duck winged QB that can not win big games and according to many with no hope of ever doing that, traded up not once but twice during the draft, traded our all-pro whining LG and to top it off, put Ware on the practice squad........... doomed I tell you, doomed.

9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I had high hopes until my ultimate fear was confirmed.. offensive line regresses instead of progresses. Nobody goes anywhere without a solid offensive line.

10. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

You're absolutely right. I want to change my vote to "I'm not even going to bother watching, I'll simply set aside time Monday mornings to bitch."

Maybe I'll just root for the Pats this year. Belichick knows how to run a REAL team.

2-14, just like the good ol' days...*sigh*

11. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

expected middle of the road this year, 8-8, 9-7, 7-9 something in that neighborhood......and the offical end of the Pennington era, sorry Chad

12. Roanoke

Roanoke New Member

Gotta go medium. The AFC and our schedule are just to tough this year.

13. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Medium for me. I expect the Jets to play well and win often, but to jsut fall shy of the playoffs this year.

I feel our lines, on both sides of the ball, are what will hold us back.

14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

obviously my desire is to see them play great, make the playoffs and be legitimate Super Bowl contenders, and if a lot of things fall in place I think it is possible.

but my honest expectation sees a few significant holes in this team that will probably keep them from doing so, so 8-8 wouldn't surprise me. Medium fo me.

15. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

What makes anyone think next year will be the year we take the big leap?
    -Thomas Jones will be 30 years old next year, very old for a back
    -If we draft a rookie or two for the offensive line, everyone will do the old "we'll need time for the line to gel" line
    -Lavareus Coles will have endured another season of punishment after catching Pennington's "just in time" passes across the middle.
    -Pennington himself, if he has another 17 touchdown/16 interceptions season may not be the starter, likely stepping aside for Clemens, who of course will need a season to gain his edge...
    -Management has shown they won't shell out big bucks for free agents, so it will be a build through the draft approach, can we fill all these holes everyone keeps mentioning through the draft to push us over the top in 2008?

In the NFL, the future is now, and in my opinion, next year has more questions in my mind than this year....

16. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I'm going to have faith that Mangini knows exactly what he is doing with the o-line situation, and predict 12-4.

Tough schedule or not, we are improved, and we shall be victorious!

17. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I can see 11 wins. Maybe I'm insane.

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

11-5. The AFC is tough but we are part of the "toughness". Most teams would rather not play us. There's a reason for that. Last year if a team had us on their schedule, they marked down a "W". Not the case this year, not even for NE. Plus we play Philly and NY at home ('skins and boys on the road). That gives us the edge against the NFC as well (3-1). We will NOT lose to Buffalo, we will NOT lose to the 'phins, and we will split with NE and lose to Dallas on Thanksgiving. That's 8-2 right there. The remaining 6 games could go 3-3, giving us 11-5 overall. Bet the over.

19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

We will not have a championship banner hanging in hofstra or florham park until 2010 the earliest.

20. PMCRW

PMCRW New Member

YOUR NOT INSANSE YOU'RE JUST DRUNK ON PUNCH!!! :up:

[​IMG]