Sean Mannion thoughts?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by rockyusmc2003, Feb 22, 2015.

1. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

I wasn't high on this kid at first, but I'm starting to come around. If the Jets are unable to land one of the top 2, could Mannion be an option late in the draft? No way he starts out of the gate, but could have some solid developmental value.

After watching him yesterday (albeit in shorts and a tee), he looks to me a lot like Joe Flacco. Big tall QB, pocket guy, that can sling it all over the field. From what I've read, he is also a bit of a football brain that puts his time into watching tape.

What is the overall consensus from people who have watched him? Please don't bother replying with "he sucks". I watched his 2014 stuff a bit today, and there is no WOW factor in 2014. However, his "weapons" (if you want to call them that) were pretty bad this season. I'm about to dig deeper into his 2013 stuff now, I did see some nice throws during a few 2013 quick glances.

I will say that I don't like his performances against top competition, and I personally always weigh that pretty highly when looking at potential guys. BUT, this could be a decent late round guy (4-6). It's also interesting that the Jets met with Brandon Bridge. So I would gather that perhaps they are looking for a big bodied QB in the later rounds.

Thoughts?

2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. He can take snap from under the center and drop back, or take the snap from shotgun. That is an obvious plus.

2. He has an adequate arm - so we know he ain't no Pennington when it comes to the arm strength.

3. He anticipates well. This will be very valuable in NFL.

4. That said, he needs to fix up his footwork. Every report I read about him said the same thing - his footwork is a train wreck to put it nicely.

5. I don't know about his throwing motion - some don't like it, but some like it. I think his motion is very fluid to say the very least however.

All in all, if Jets don't draft Mariota [I'm not too high on him anyway] then he's the guy I'd like to see picked at later rounds.

3. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

I'd rather have Bryce Petty... Mannion looked stiff & awkward.

4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Bryce Petty? FUCK NO.

I don't even like Mannion that much - maybe 7th - but if I have to choose between Mannion and Petty, I'd pick Mannion any day of the week, and twice on Sundays. A QB that can't take snap from under the center is useless. Jets already have one in Geno - why should they grab another one?

5. rockyusmc2003

He looked much crisper in 2013. Then again having Brandin Cooks helped big time!

I did take a close look at his feet, and they aren't the worst I've seen. However, they aren't the good either, I'd say they are average. His movement reminds me of Glennon coming out of college, big tall lanky guys usually have very hinky movement unless they are super athletic.

I agree with you on his throwing motion, it looks fine to me. Sometimes it's a bit long motioned, but his arms are probably long as hell. I also agree about his anticipation on passes. He does lock onto his first receiver a lot, especially last year when he had Cooks.

As far as late round QBs go, I find him a HELL of a lot more valuable than Tajh Boyd was.

6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

What I heard about his decline in 2014 was that his protection has deteriorated - Mannion wasn't that well protected in this year's campaign. Now, with Cooks gone, that was magnified in Mannion's terrible footwork. I tend to think footworks can be coached - it will take some time, but it can be fixed. I also think his throwing motion can be a little more compact. They are all mechanical issues - will take about a year to fix usually under good coaching. Locking onto the first read can be fixed too, with right coaching. Having the anticipation will be huge however - Geno doesn't have any of that, mind you.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

My thought is to not waste a pick on him. I don't think he will ever be anything but a jag QB if that.

8. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think I'd have a problem drafting him in the 5th, barring any unforeseen player falling to the 5th. I like Mannion as a developmental pick.

9. CraigF1210

CraigF1210 Member

I keep hearing that he "looked good" but I don't see it at all. He looked awkward during drills, combine that with wearing pads, and being pressured I don't see him being successful. I'd prefer to stick with Matt Simms our our QB3 then throw a pick at this guy.

You can point at 4 or 5 "developmental" guys in most drafts, but almost none of them are going to pan out. If the front office sees a guy that they believe is a franchise QB, they draft him with their first pick and bring him in when he's ready. So unless something crazy happens and a Winston/The Duck fall to 6 and they see him as that kind of player I'd be more content staying with Geno and a FA QB2.

10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Right - and to think he got more football IQ than Geno should turn your stomach.

11. rockyusmc2003

What was awkward? With the exception of watching him run the 40, which looks pretty bad (and I could careless how his 40 looked).

His throwing motion and touch were one of the best of the day. The guy is 6'6, and he played exactly like a guy that is 6'6. Simms is only around now because he is technically QB2 at this point, but I bet he's gone by preseason.

12. Toronto's Biggest

Toronto's Biggest Active Member

I played some CIS with his older brother so for that reason alone having Brandon would be awesome. What I like about Brandon is how athletic he is. In high school he played Senior as a freshman (guys 5 years older) just to be able to play with his older brother and he dominated. There's videos and tales of him running all over the field, hurdling defenders and dropping bombs.

Objectively, however, I think its a terrible fit. Bridge is RAW. His footwork is ugly, his decision making suspect and ill timed runs. He needs to sit and he needs to learn. You can't do that behind Geno Smith because you'll be thrown in a game after week 3.

13. rockyusmc2003

Very cool. What do you think of Mannion though ;)

14. Toronto's Biggest

Toronto's Biggest Active Member

Never got to meet his brother! LOL.

I actually just came in here not looking to post just wanted to learn a little about a QB I don't know much about

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  15. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

To be quite honest, I'd rather Petty too.

I really liked Mannion 2 years ago, loved his accuracy and the command he had of his offense but I really didn't see a lot of progression this year. That may have been due to losing Cooks but I don't love his arm nor his lack of athleticism. I think he'll stick for a while in the league as a backup but I don't ever see him as starter material. Very very low ceiling IMHO and his floor is an immobile game manager.

Petty on the other hand may completely fail out, but it's his upside that intrigues me. I've hated him in some games and loved him in some games. He's a gunslinger and he's a guy that very well could surprise. I think he's a smart guy and knows where to go with the ball and he has some athleticism to avoid sacks and extend plays.

I really don''t believe in "developmental" QBs, but I believe in "taking a flyer" QBs and Petty might be one of them.

Comparing him to Geno--IMHO--is an unfair comparison. I think Petty has a much higher football IQ and is a much much better leader. I think he'll learn to take snaps from under center, I don't think Geno will ever learn to read defenses.

_

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I repeat - I do not want Petty. I do not want a QB that has no experience whatsoever taking snap from under the center. [This is why I cooled off on Mariota as well. I am sick and fed up with spread QBs.] I'd rather go with Grayson.

It kills me to think Jets had a shot at Derek Carr last year. And a good LB or WR the year before. Fuck you, Idzik.

17. JStokes

Well, we disagree because I see upside in Petty. Grayson reminds me of a weaker armed Kellen Clemens. I just don't value a learned skill over physical talent. Petty can learn how to play from under center, Mannion will never have Petty's arm or mobility and Grayson to me is just a jag.

It hurts every time I read this. Incredible arm talent, smart, mobile, leader.

However, you realize Carr played primarily in a shotgun/spread/pistol offense in college and he actually took quite a few snaps from under center this year for the raiders.

I don't think--for smart players--it is that big of a learning curve to take snaps from under center.

_

18. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Mannion was a better QB when he was throwing to Brandin Cooks.

19. JStokes

Yup.

_

20. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

1. [​IMG] Shane Carden, QB, East Carolina
      Height: 6-1. Weight: 218.
      Projected 40 Time: 4.74.
      Projected Round (2015): 5-7.

2/14/15: Carden had the opportunity to rise up draft boards with a big Senior Bowl, but that was not to be. He didn't impress in Mobile.

Carden was a good college quarterback who put up some huge numbers. The senior completed 64 percent of his passes in 2014 for 4,736 yards with 30 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. Carden led the Pirates to a road win at Virginia Tech and led them to putting up 70 points on North Carolina a week later. He had a mixed outing against Florida.

Carden completed 71 percent of his passes in 2013 for 4,129 yards with 33 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. He completed 66 percent of his passes for 23 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

Personal: Son of Jay and Scoti Carden. He is pursuing a master's degree in instructional technology.

We should pick him in the fifth round if we miss out on Mariota.