Scott Linehan - potential HC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BacktoQueens, Dec 27, 2016.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

There has been a lot of commentary about the Jets needing to select an experienced HC this time around.
    Not sure I agree with that theory, but I do want Bowles out, so I started thinking through the potential options.

First reaction when considering candidates....i'm not very impressed.
    Short of a Sean Payton breaking from NO, it's generally going to be a list of guys who have failed at previous spots.
    Jeff Fisher would actually be high on my list of retreads, as I feel the main negative reaction is based solely on W/L record. I do understand though, that it may be a tough sell even if one of the better retread candidates.

That leads me to Scott Linehan..
    Like Fisher, his run with the Rams as HC was very unimpressive. But really, who was going to succeed with the Rams? It was '06-'08, where the Rams were on a real downturn from a talent perspective, with the greatest show on turf in their rear view mirror.
    One bigger thing of concern to me though, was disputes with key offensive players like Bulger and Steven Jackson. Was that just frustration from the players, or a sign the coach lost the team? it's a question worth asking...

Fast forward to OC with Dallas the last 3 years..
    He's shown he can succeed with a veteran QB like Romo, and also groom in a new QB with little notice in Dak.

Some offensive stats with Romo in 2014:
    YPG: 376, rank 8th
    TOP: 32:13, rank 3rd
    3rd down: 47%, rank 2nd
    Red zone: 65%, rank 2nd

with Dak Prescott in 2016:
    YPG: 389, rank 4th
    TOP: 31:56, rank 2nd
    3rd Down: 42%, rank 11th
    Red zone: 67%, rank 2nd

In short, he's got experience around the league as an OC, he's got experience as a HC, and he's shown he can get results with QB's of varying experience levels.
    He's also shown a commitment to running the ball, which every QB needs.

In terms of defense, he was the Lions OC under Jim Schwartz, and I wouldn't mind Linehan returning the favor by bringing Schwartz on as his DC.
    Defense still needs to be a focal point of this team, along with Oline going forward, regardless of which side of the ball the HC hails from.

Not sure if I'm suggesting this move for the Jets, but it's a viable option at this point if we want to go the experienced HC route.

What do you all think in terms of Linehan, or other experienced HC candidates?

boozer32 and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. Jeremy2020

Jeremy2020 Active Member

SURPRISE! Todd Bowles will be the HC! So all the theorycrafting on potential coaches is pointless!

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Nice analysis and nice measured approach as opposed to the bombastic rantings we so often get here. Of course there's another side to the coin and that is the negatives to every potential candidate. These are much harder for us outsiders to understand because they aren't often discussed where we can find them. Intangibles are huge - that's why nobody in any line of work gets hired on the basis of their resume without an interview and nobody gets hired for an important job without an in depth investigation of everything they do.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  4. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Linehan could be an interesting choice. A lot of that will depend on how committed Maccagnan and company are to rebuilding the O-line, which has been a pretty big factor in the success that Linehan has had in Dallas in terms of bringing along Tony Romo and Dak Prescott.

I'd also have to wonder how much desire Linehan would have to be the Jets HC. He's got a pretty good gig right now in Dallas, being the OC of a team very much on the rise with a lot of young talent. If they continue on the path they've set out on, he could have his choice of much better HC jobs in the next couple of offseasons. Why would he waste that potential on a franchise like New York that doesn't have its stuff together in any way, shape, or form, when he could stay right where he is, with one of the premiere NFL franchises, working with two of the game's brightest new stars.

Acad23 likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

can he bring Dak with him?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Throw in the Woodrow factor and I can see where a job that should be considered a premier gig has good candidates turning it down outright...

7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Because that's what winners do. They rise to the occasion and embrace the challenge. I want the guy with the fire in the belly who says all those who failed before them didn't fail because of what was presented to them but because they were not good enough themselves to get the job done. I want the guy who spits in the eye of whatever devil confronts him and then kicks him in the nuts and climbs over him because he needs to get to the top and that's the only way to get there.

NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yep

Makes no sense to leave Dallas who are rolling for the Jets????

laughable

At least this guy was once a HC so he has that...Plus he has been an OC not a DC

So how do the Jets sell themselves to any for the HC spot?

Answer: Lots of moolah Woody. Stop being a cheapo here. $ for the likes of a Coughlin Gruden or some big time Coach

So sick of DC or newbie learning at our expense

tbruner12 and Cman68 like this.
  9. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I want in a HC as well. That's not to say that that guy isn't Linehan, but I'd press very hard on that issue in an interview process with him because he is in a very good spot right now with the Cowboys that could set him up for long term success and, potentially, his choice of jobs down the road. He very well could be itching to leave and try to right the ship of a wayward franchise. If that's the case, then you place him under very serious consideration for the top job, assuming that the rest of the interview goes well.

10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

We are in such a bad position to attract a decent HC candidate...A mess!!!

Prob is Woody needs to take a course in Footbal Team management taught by the Tischs KRafts Rooneys

Instead he is off playing Ambassador...What a deuchbag

11. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

My vote is Todd Haley. He has head coaching experience with Kansas City. i believe they one the division one year. His Qb was Matt Cassel and after he was hurt, Tyler Palko, so you can understand the drop off.

He also was with the Jets briefly, which Woody seems to prefer.

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

of course we should ignore the fact that he has the same organizational chart as the steelers and that dan rooney is the ambassador to ireland, right?
    i mean, why use facts when we can just talk out our asses?

13. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

Guys, stop arguing about this team. Find a new team, or just become a free agent. I'm 37 years old, I've been doing this for nearly 30 years, it's time to move on... there is no hope. I realize this now. We're never going to make it... every year I die inside a little bit, but now I realize, no matter how good we are in a single season, we're never going to have what it takes to be a consistent winner and/or make the super bowl. It's a fools errand rooting for this team.

abyzmul and boozer32 like this.
  14. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I knew his brother Ron, great guy who sadly passed away a number of years ago. Could be a solid hire. IDK, he didn't exactly
    light it up in St. Louis. Sure is better than the alternative.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Regardless of whether Bowles comes back or not (you don't know, so please STFU), it's of interest of us to discuss, so quit trying to be a moderator and discourage discussion. Participate or not, but if you choose not to move along, and quit trying to tell us what is pointless to discuss.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Linehan is an interesting idea. Wasn't his specialty the OL before becoming an OC then HC? I may be confusing him with someone else.

At any rate, did you see the slide show on the Star Ledger earlier today with their idea of the 6 potential best offensive-minded HCs the Jets might consider if Bowles is fired? Their order of preference (who they think best) is as follows:

1)Mike McCarthy, Packers HC (if he gets fired);

2) Josh McDaniels, the OC of the Pats;

3) Mike McCoy, HC of the Chargers (if he gets fired);

4) Jim Bob Cooter (the OC of the Lions who has turned the Lions' offense around);

5) Raiders OC Bill Musgrave;

6) Todd Haley, OC Steelers

I loved the list, but not the order. I agree that McCarthy should be the #1 name on the list, but GB would be stupid to fire him.
    I would have the rest of the names in the following order.

2) Todd Haley (because he has HC experience and the job that he's done with the Steelers' offense)

3) Bill Musgrave (because of the job he's done with Derek Carr and the Raiders' offense)

4) Mike McCoy (because he has HC experience, even if SD isn't very good

5) Josh McDaniels (because Pats coaches haven't done well on their own as HCs and apart from Belicheat)

6) Jim Bob Cooter (can you imagine what the NY area media would do with his name especially if he struggled? He's also only 32 and had less coaching experience than the rest. I think he's only been in the NFL for a year or two. I have my doubts as to whether the older vets would respect him)

I think I'd add Linehan in there at #3 or #4

Acad23, cmcm750203 and boozer32 like this.
  17. Jeremy2020

Jeremy2020 Active Member

I'm sorry that you're trying to suppress discussion on the pointlessness of discussing a coach for a coaching job you don't know will be open (so please STFU). You're also extremely confused about what a moderator does. Having an opinion on your post being pointless is not moderation.

18. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Great analogy. I would be cool with these two coming onbaord. I also wanted a coach who had head coaching experience. We have failed miserably with Carroll, Groh, Mangini, Edwards and Bowles. One thing they all had in common was the team quitting on them.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

We should hire Rex Ryan if he hires Todd Bowles as his DC.

bahahahaha

20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Scott Linehan, the Head coach of St. Louis Rams.

[​IMG]

Linehan doesn't have any experience of OL coach as a position coach. His specialty was with QB coaching and WR coaching. The Rams stuff above is for a quick-hitter joke, but the offense under his guidance was pretty decent to say the least.

His NFL start was with Vikes - the Randy Moss years, actually. Always within top 10 in terms of scoring from 2002-4. His next stay at Miami was a lackluster one, but then Dolphags suck so you can't pin that on him. Then came the disastrous Rams stay. After that - he stayed as OC at Lions - the Stafford years. Lions offense improved tremendously in that time span - going from bottom ten in the first year to 16th the next year, and 4th in year 3. Lions offense faltered a little after that, but still remained respectable.

This is how I look at it; Jets are fucked on both sides of the ball, and keeping Bowles is not going to fix it. Why not fix what we know we can with him? In the next 3 or 4 years, Jets will have respectable offense with Linehan in charge. [Rams was an aberration; the writing was on the wall. Players quit on the team even before the season started, and then they kept drafting like the Jets.]

Of course, the biggest if here is, would Macc want him as the HC of the Jets.

#20 Zach, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    BacktoQueens likes this.