Scorched Earth Coming?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe Willie White Shoes, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

While we were down, it seems that the Jet have:

Asked Pennington to take a monsterous pay cut to $1 million guaranteed
    Asked Martin to take a huge pay cut
    Waived good bye to Law
    Don't appear interested in giving Abraham a long-term deal

It sure looks like the new regime is willing to completely blow things up and start over.

2. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

It will be ok no man is above a franchise...abraham is very talented but there are guys out there who can play.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

They are being aggressive and decisive, two things we've been wanting for years. I think they might make a few immediate mistakes here, but I love the approach. Take no prisoners.

4. GreenMachine

Later Ty....Pennington suck it up....Martin...class act, will do anything for the Jets...Abe...Get us a 1st rounder, PLEASE!

5. duketogo

duketogo New Member

That's a pretty sizable pay cut they're asking Pennington to take, but who can blame them?

6. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Word play rules.

7. 1028

1028 Active Member

Sheesh where did everyone hear about this Martin and Abraham jazz? Any links?

8. JVilma51

JVilma51 Member

ya i havent heard anything about martin and abraham or law in that fact, but penningtons pay cut is enormous though i want him to take it i dont know how he can

9. GreenMachine

I missed you!!![​IMG]

10. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

No shocks really. These are just the starting steps in trying to get our cap room in order. I do have a question though....can we franchise abe regardless of our cap situation or do we have to get 7 million + under the cap to fit abe in.

11. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

12. rajensen088

rajensen088 Banned

Various reports have the Jets between 20 to 30 million over. Abraham counts zero in those figures. Not only does the cuts, restructuring etc. have to bring some 20 to 30 million in cap savings... add on 8.3 million the moment the Jets tag Abraham with the franchise tag.... I think he walks without the Jets getting anything.

13. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

They would get compensatory picks/pick the following year.

14. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

H'mmm does a 4th rounder or worse sound fair for JA? The FO botched his status with us big time last off season

15. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Mangini/Tanny knew they would have to clean things up to get this team back in stable ground cap-wise first. None of this should come as a surprise. I don't think they will be able to tag Abraham under the cap.... that means he walks.

16. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

Well, this will be the definitive moment for Tannenbaum's early career as GM, if he can get our cap room in shape to the point where we can franchise abe, I'll have to tip my cap to the man, b/c it looks like he going to have be REALLY creative in order to get us far enough under the cap to tag our DE.

It will suck to see abe walk out w/o us trading him for a 1st or combination of picks, but given the cap Tanne inherited from Bradway you can't expect too much....this year at least.

17. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

Cleaning House

OK, so the rebuilding process will begin this year! Despite Bradway's ridiculous assertion that the cap was not a problem and that the Jets could re-sign any players they wanted (let's see if you are a better consultant than a GM?)...it has become necessary to clean house and start over. Now is as good a time as any, as our New GM and Coach start the search for "Smart Tough" Players who can handle the system.

Law is gone, that's no surprise. Playing hardball with Pennington...can you blame them? The guy probably can't play again at an NFL level. If he's unwilling to work with them, they have no choice but to cut him. The goal with Abraham is to clear enough cap room to sign and trade him, so they don't lose him with no return. We would use another #1 pick in the draft as a building block.

That's just the beginning:

-3 key cogs on the Oline - Mawae, Kendall and Fabini will all likely be cut. That's a ton of cap room.

-The Jets will ask Coles and probably McCareins to re-work their contracts.

-The team will have to work with Shaun Ellis to re-work his deal.

-Robertson is an interesting case...he's got a big contract and might or might not fit the new defensive scheme? Re-work or trade or cut?

18. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

GG, I definitely agree with you on most points... however, some things I don't see happening... one, Mawae... not going to be cut. Losing Mawae was the single worst thing that happened to our o-line. Kendall is a great guard, but a subpar center. Goodwin is an even worse guard than Kendall is center. The Jets would be shored up dramatically if Mawae came back healthy and Kendall slid back to his spot... however, both need to lower their cap numbers, definitely.

Coles and McCareins should rework their deals and lower their cap numbers to help the team, but not dramatically. You can't blame them when they were practically the only unit on the team that stayed healthy as a group. McCareins needs to take a cut more than Coles does.

I'm all for Ellis and Robertson reworking their deals... they both underachieved badly last year, especially Robertson.

The major thing that the new Jet GM/HC have to fix is an entire team of underachievers. We've got tons of overpaid talent on the team. None of these guys are ever dominant, but many have dominant qualities (John Abraham being the prime example). Hopefully Mangini and Tannenbaum bring a level of toughness to this team not seen under Herm and Bradway, through both coaching and hard contract negotiations.

19. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

I don't see Mawae leaving, Green Guy

20. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

If we franchise Abe and another team signs him, they have to give us 2 first-rounders. That is not about to happen.

We should just trade him and go from there. If we use a 3-4 next year, our d-line is Ellis and Thomas on he ends with D-Rob at NT. Ouch. We need some D-line help. If only the Chargers would trade Castillo...