Santonio Holmes

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LongIslandBlitz, Sep 22, 2013.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

nice to see his game returning.....

#21 stinkyB, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  2. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

dude is clutch as hell

3. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Well probably the smart move is to see who becomes an available FA for WR's. If we think there's a guy with better talent out there at around the same cost or less, that's when we start even considering cutting Holmes. If not, we should keep him. He hasn't done anything at all in the past two years to deserve being cut. He was clearly invested in the game, leading the fans in getting louder and quieter, and even last year he caught the game winner in overtime vs the Dolphins week 3. It's too hard to say this early how the season will play out, but in terms of production he has been productive every year he's been with the Jets other than 2011, and I don't think any of us want to go back and hash out who he had playing with him to keep double coverage off him. He had some absolute shit games that year with drops and fumbles, especially the Philly game, and then getting benched vs the Giants, but that is two years removed at this point.

4. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

It's gonna be great to see what Geno can do when he has some more top talent around him

5. DanR

DanR Active Member

Lets not go overboard. Look at who was guarding him. I think Bills was missing 2 of their top CB's.

6. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

If this was a rookie WR, I would agree. Holmes is a proven superbowl winning WR.

7. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Willing to eat crow on #10. Thought he had nothing left.

Some of the catches he made were incredible. He schooled Rogers on the TD pass. He didn't put his hands up for the ball till the very last second, a veteran move.

8. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

Considering we thought he might miss the season, it's worth being happy about

9. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

10. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Right now our receiver stats are as follows:
    Hill: 233 yds, 1 TD
    Holmes: 218 yds, 1 TD
    Kerley: 70 yds

Obviously this is highly inaccurate I understand that, but that projects to about
    Hill: 1,242 yds, 5 TD's
    Holmes: 1,162 yds, 5 TD's
    Kerley: 370 yds

When was the last time the Jets had two 1,000 yd receivers in a season?
    Last time they had one 1,000 yd Receiver was Jerricho Cotchery in 2007, back even before Favre.

11. Swedish Ale

Swedish Ale Member

Hate him as a person.
    But no receiver has ever made me smile and shake my head after a catch like him, though.
    Today I had a few of those moments.

If only he could get rid of those red eye lenses... (-.-)

12. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

After last week with all the drops it was a breath of fresh air to See Holmes make some nice plays. When Holmes gets hot there's not many better then him

13. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

If Holmes can command #1 WR money from free agency then he's gone. I think Jets would like to bring him back but they won't offer him a contract similar to the top WR in the NFL.

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He is gone period. The Jets aren't about to forget the cancer he was 2 years ago.

15. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

His talent has never been the question mark, its his character. Real character is brought to the surface when things don’t go well. Anybody can act semi professional when things are going well. I’ve seen enough of this guy to know he only shows up in contract years both on and off the field.

He did have a nice game, and I hope to see more of this. But in now way do I want him back next year.

16. NYJet87

NYJet87 Member

Willing to give the credit where it's due. I've picked on Holmes when he deserves to be picked on, but that was a hell of a performance. Many clutch catches, huge TD late when things looked like they were unraveling. I think I heard Rex say on the post game that it was statistically the best day of Holmes' career.

17. meanandgreen

meanandgreen New Member

The jets look great on both sides of the ball! Woot!!

18. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Never understood all the Holmes hate, to be honest. He's a bit of a diva but he can catch the ball. Hopefully his year off going through some adversity and uncertainty with his future has made him mature as a person.

I wouldn't expect this kind of play every game but I think he will be a big contributor nonetheless.

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I don't see how you can let Holmes walk if he and Geno develop a chemistry. That would be like, oh, I dunno, taking Braylon Edwards away from Mark Sanchez. Not that I'm comparing the two as QBs, but young guys need that security blanket. Holmes, if fully healthy and invested in the game, is the ultimate security blanket. Great hands, great route-running, overall just a reliable receiver. Why take that away from your 2nd year QB?

Problem is, as many have stated... he's going to be an expensive security blanket.

20. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

The cancer I believe is on Tampa and not Tone at all... JMO Really happy he had a great game.