Sam Under Pressure (PFF)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Nov 19, 2019.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

(via PFF) Among qualified QBs, Sam Darnold has been pressured on the highest percentage of dropbacks (43.3%). His average sack taken has come in just 3.03 seconds, quicker than any other QB.

His 7 INTs under pressure are 2nd-most behind Winston (3 came against NE) However, Darnold is tied for 2nd with 6 TDs under pressure. Best TD% under pressure: Mahomes (8.6%) - 6 TD/70 attempts Wilson (7.7%) - 9/117 Jackson (7.2%) - 5/69 Carr (7.1%) - 5/70 Darnold (6.6%) - 6/91

I mean that's pretty brutal. pressured on almost half the drop backs and sacked in 3.03 seconds on average. that's insane

azhar80, Pepsiguy5, Jets81 and 3 others like this.
  2. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

Just watching any given Jets game, should be plain to see he’s in trouble almost every play. The last couple of games have been the exception, he hadn’t been in trouble every play, much less so.

That’s why I don’t understand why so many people are bagging on him. That kind of pressure would even effect Tom Brady. He’s going to have to deal with it for the rest of the season. Hopefully it makes him a better QB in the end. It’s a trial by fire. It’s like that scene from Shawshank Redemption, sometimes Andy got away, sometimes he didn’t.

Now, it looks like the line is holding up his game seems to be trending upward. Let’s hope it continues.

3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I would not say that the line is holding up better. They still gave up the 3rd highest pressure rate in the league last week. What has happened is Sam is dealing with the rush better and is starting to recover from the beating he took against NE and Jax. He is still showing regressing after hits and poor plays but he is recovering faster than he did 2 weeks ago or 1 week ago. His composure, confidence and pocket presence and ability to extend plays is not where it was last year but it is slowly recovering after the beating he took against NE.

Psychological wounds take time to heal but I like his resiliency and the way he is trending. Hopefully he can put up a 4th good game in a row next week and take down the Raiders.

4. BrickcityJet

I mean, I mostly agree. We don’t have New England’s line, but he seems like he has more time now. When the pocket does collapse on him he does roll out and try to make a play. So yeah, part of it is him learning to deal with that kind of pressure. With Kalil and Winters gone, the line does seem to be holding better....most of the time.

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Any doubts about Sam Darnold all lead to the same place: his offensive line.

Darnold has proven time and time again that when given time, he can compete at an extremely high level.

He's 22 years old in his sophomore year in a completely new offensive system. Sometimes he tries to be a hero and attempts to make throws that he otherwise shouldn't. With time, he will fix that issue, but until we are able to give him a solid line, he will not have the breakout year we are all hopeful he will have.

Douglas needs to build a stout line this off-season

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't really think he's proven it time and time again. We had pretty good offensive line play last year and he didn't exactly take the league by storm. He's also beaten two bad teams in a row.

I mean I still have confidence that he's going to be the guy and he's definitely flashed some brilliance at times. Carson Wentz is proving this year how hero ball hurts the team way more than it helps it and it's tough to lose that mentality.

He can fix the issues and be a good quarterback in the league. But let's not act like he's exactly killing it (even despite the circumstances).

Ralebird likes this.
  7. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

sam has to get a lot better at identifying where the blitz is coming from and getting the ball to hot reads in those vacated areas

hopefully he gains those skills with time

azhar80 likes this.
  8. BrickcityJet

I think he’s about back to the level he was playing at, at the end of last season.

The line wasn’t that great last year either and I seem to remember him being on the run a lot last season too. It was just better than it is this year.

As long as we see an upward trend, I’m good. I’ll still believe he’s our guy. But ffs, Sammy learn how to throw the ball out!

9. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I’d be worried if he was playing crappy against crappy teams. He’s gotta start somewhere.

He’s made bad decisions with the ball, but it can’t be stressed enough that this is the worst OL in the league. Even the best QB’s in the league would be making mistakes in the situation Sam finds himself in.

I believe Sam has top tier potential and we’ll start too see it when he has even league average time to set and throw the ball.

Pepsiguy5 and FJF like this.
  10. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

You see Rivers last night? He looked BRUTAL...Pressure bursts pipes and can break QB's in a particular game....it won't be the first or last time Sam looks bad...it literally happens to every QB ...just have more good then bad, and make sure your bad isn't awful.

Jets81 likes this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Sorry but disagree whole heartedly. The line was ugly bad last year, that is why so many here wanted some serious upgrades to the O line in free agency and the draft, with a no shit C, and OT/OG help. We did nothing but get duped with a non player in Osemele who was damaged goods before he even took a snap.
    Three seconds for a Pocket QB with 2 years of College experience to process information and fire a pass while the DL is already in your face is disgustingly bad. Mac biggest fuck up was not taking appropriate care of the line.

azhar80 and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  12. Falco21

I'm not sure we watched the same team last year.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-2018-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-teams-units-after-week-17

We were the 25th ranked offensive line in 2018 according to PFF.

azhar80 likes this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

You're looking at the names and not the production. We gave up the 12th least amount of sacks last year at 37. Bottom of the league in rushing at 26th in rushing yards per game, but the pass protection as a whole was pretty good. The receivers sucked but the runningbacks were decent until Crowell got hurt.

Sam hasn't had a ton of help. I was one of the advocates for line help and it's been awful this year. Last year it was OK. My point is that even without help you can't turn around and say he's a great player already. He's at best an average quarterback right now. He flashes greatness he makes a lot of throws that's make you go "wow" when he's flat footed or backpedaling. And I hope he continues.

But he's far from the great player he was lauded in the post I responded too.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Take PFF for what it is. It's an ok tool. It's not the Bible on watching football though. It's guys like you or me that sit down and grade each player on the ALL-22 based on how they felt they did on that play. It's still subjective.

For example. Jamal Adams received a 64 grade (average starter - below what they gave Kelvin Beachum for the year in 2018 according to that article) against the Redskins after a three sack performance. Blessuan Austin gets credited with huge grade boosts on those balls that are dropped by the Redskins at the end of the game on his side of the field.

It's cool to look at. But the eye test and production tells us that the Jets line really wasn't that bad last year. Filled with stop gap players and mediocre starters; yes. But decent in pass protection. Much much better than it's been this year.

azhar80 and GasedAndConfused like this.
  15. Falco21

I'll go based on my opinion and what I saw.

Our offensive line was garbage last year. Hence why it was extremely disappointing that we didn't go after more lineman in the draft or in free agency.

twown likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

this^ it's not a perfect system by any means and just focus's on win rates. you'll get a higher rating by doing your job and not making mistakes then you would by making a few impact plays and a few mistakes. basically the higher the grade, the lower the mistakes you made not necessarily the most impact. hewitt had a bad rating but i thought he played well and he did get a nice INT

17. Jonathan_Vilma

I think the difference we see between the line this year vs. last year helps to show what a truly horrible offensive line is. The line alone has lost us games vs. The Pats, Jaguars, Browns and Dolphins. I can't say I remember too many games last year where we were just absolutely destroyed because of the line play, beyond the 2x games Spencer Long forgot how to snap the ball before he was replaced.

It wasn't great. But we weren't on this historically bad pace that we were and kind of still are on right now.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Double-post.

19. Falco21

I don't disagree on this point.

Our offensive line, this year, is non-existent. Comparing 2018 to 2019, there is no doubt a HUGE drop off.

But I am also not going to say that our offensive line in 2018 was anywhere near good. They were bad. Just not as bad as this year

BrickcityJet likes this.
  20. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I’m still not giving up on Sam like most

Even that pick in Miami was supposed to be a throw away

one video angle shows it

FJF likes this.